PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires went on today

shazapple
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I think I did it in record time. I had to get my car inspected so I managed to throw them on in 15 minutes.

Anyway, I remember why I didnt want to put them on. 14" and studded, handling is the suxorz :( Unless im in a foot of snow :-D

gator gt
11-09-2005, 08:24 PM
My dad works at a Chevy dealership and I put the tires on my winter rims while he did some maintenance on his truck. Sweet!!! Ready to go!

I'm jumping back down to 16", 2001 RS rims with Dunlop Graspic DS-2. Got a pretty stiff sidewall. And sipes...you wanna talk sipes! Holy crap!

We'll see. Still running on the 17" RE92s for now. No snow yet.

GGT

gil_ong81
11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
i put mine on 2 weeks ago cos the foreast called for snow. what a bloody waste.

anyway, i have the stock rims wrapped in Hakka 1's. makes me really wish i could get rid of my 17s and get some 16s with decent tyres for the summer.

shazapple
11-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I have 185/70/r14 with Pacemark Snowtrakker ST/2. No name tires, but they work the very best. Theyre studded too, so I sound like a tank. Nice and skinny, but huge sidewall, I can feel the lack of control. ugg!

These tires are balanced properly, so they dont vibrate at some speeds unlike my RE92. Right now I have the pressure at 36/34 but I might up it a bit more.

Wiscon_Mark
11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I have yet to put mine on, but they're the same size (15") and they're Michelin XIce's.

I also considered the Graspics, but the XIce had better handling, and they were comparable in all other categories. I will probably swap at the end of the month, when it really starts to get cold.

My Xone's are good snow tires, but they don't respond to subzero temperatures very well (they slip a lot when they get cold).

95legacyl
11-12-2005, 10:04 PM
i dont even have snow tires i dont even have an awd car hell i dont even get snow some years.

shazapple
11-13-2005, 03:26 AM
I love snow, I love driving in snow. Snow tires, or at least very good all seasons are a must around here, especially where I live.

My car last winter
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9706/dirtycar0wq.jpg

My 'driveway'
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6088/hill0ri.jpg

and thats not even all of it!

RABID_SUB
11-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Wow! You did alot of work on that thing.

Perdue
11-13-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm having P-Zero Nero M+S's mounted on Wednesday. I don't have a second set of wheels that will clear the 4 pots, so I guess I'm stuck with an all-season. At least I should be able to do the 2 or 3 cold autocrosses (one this friday) while I'm on "winter" tires.

95legacyl
11-13-2005, 09:18 PM
this is making me really consider selling my car and upgrading to a gt cause i really wanna be able to play in the snow and if your gonna say well just cause its not a gt doesnt matter i have fwd and if i upgrade i want a gt

Wiscon_Mark
11-13-2005, 09:19 PM
well, you really don't need a GT to play in the snow, actually an outback would be the best (shameless plug), but yeah, i can see wanting a GT.

AWD owns!! :D

Sarra
11-16-2005, 01:27 AM
well, you really don't need a GT to play in the snow, actually an outback would be the best (shameless plug), but yeah, i can see wanting a GT.

AWD owns!! :D

I dunno about AWD owning... AWD with LSD's all around owns, AWD with open front and rear diffs sucks. Which is actually why a Legacy GT would be better, because it has a Rear LSD at least (some years do).

I took my Legacy L out in the snow, and the right or left side would just burn out uselessly. LSD prevents one side or the other from just burning out.

If you think your driveway is bad, I'll post pics of some local people's driveways next time it snows. ;)

Wiscon_Mark
11-16-2005, 08:05 AM
well, I meant an outback for its height ;)

I dunno, my AWD system (with a manual, so its a set 25/25/25/25 split) does pretty well in snow...

Huffer
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
AWD + 4EAT = No Stall. :D

shazapple
11-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Just put it in 2nd gear and youre good to go :-D

jey
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
I dunno about AWD owning... AWD with LSD's all around owns, AWD with open front and rear diffs sucks. Which is actually why a Legacy GT would be better, because it has a Rear LSD at least (some years do).

I took my Legacy L out in the snow, and the right or left side would just burn out uselessly. LSD prevents one side or the other from just burning out.

It owns what most people have, which is 2WD w/ no LSD. They're still turning out tons of SUVs these days w/ 2WD and no LSD. Even in the northern states where it actually snows.

I can also argue that AWD w/ a limited-slip center differential is better than 2WD w/ LSD. But yeah, if you're really in an extreme environment something more hardcore with locking diffs is probably what would own :)

95legacyl
11-20-2005, 09:46 AM
just wondering do the 90-94 turbo legacys have LSD

Wiscon_Mark
11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I think some of them do, I don't remember which ones though :?

Sarra
11-20-2005, 08:08 PM

It owns what most people have, which is 2WD w/ no LSD. They're still turning out tons of SUVs these days w/ 2WD and no LSD. Even in the northern states where it actually snows.

I can also argue that AWD w/ a limited-slip center differential is better than 2WD w/ LSD. But yeah, if you're really in an extreme environment something more hardcore with locking diffs is probably what would own :)

True. ;) I'd still like LSD all around (LSD is good afterall). I'm also on too large tires (205 65r15's vs 205 60r15's stock), so second gear is just a little too tall for a standing start. Also, kinda sucks when you get stuck and need some power to get moving. Some day, I'll put an LSD in the rear and be done with it. If I ever get money.