PDA

View Full Version : 99lgt 2.2t ?

h4life
01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
as far as using the 2.2t block with the wrx heads and intake will i be able to stay obd2? if not how can i? i have a 99lgt with blown head gaskets. i would like to swap in a turbo engine. i found a great deal on a 2.2t. i am woundering what i need to do aside from reading as much as possable. any good links would be great. thanx nick

h4life
01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
i guess the way i am moving now is just the 2.2t block and everything else from the wrx. can i avoid buying the whole engine. and just buy the wrx parts i need for the 2.2t block? if so hook me with a list : )

grayguy
01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Well the best thing would be to do a complete WRX swap, but you'll be using the ej22t Block instead of the wrx one. I wish I had done this when started on my 2.2GT-T but you can learn from my mistakes. There is lots of information on here about the wrx swaps into legy's like ours.

h4life
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
i read your whole write up on yours. that sounds like an awsome project but i dont have that much patience or resorce. i need to come up with a list of wrx parts so i can start collecting them. wanna help? : ) is there any sensors on the block itself that i will need to deal with? wish you were closer i would love to see your ride

grayguy
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
The only sensor on the block itself is the oil pressure sensor on the top of the block, all the other sensors attach to the intake mani, heads, and oilpump. Basically, as far as the motor goes, you are going to need Heads, intake mani, all the timing stuff, your 22t short block, and some way to get the wiring to work. All the WRX parts will bolt right on to the ej22t (this is why subaru is awesome!). Other parts you are going to need, to name a few, are a Turbo Cross member, exhaust, and most importantly a way to get the wiring to work.

For wiring, you will either have to go to a standalone management system ( i use a LINKecu) or you are going to have to get a WRX wiring harness/ecu, and have that merged to work with the rest of your car. It really comes down to what you want in the long run as far as which is the better way to go. If you go with the wiring merge, here is the guy I had to all my wiring http://numbchuxconversions.com/ I just happen to be good friends with him, but regardless of that I'd recommend his work for anyone, he know's his stuff.

h4life
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
sweet. just what i wanted to hear. i want to merge a my lgt wireing to the wrx so i can still have the obd2 just like a normal wrx swap. i would love to take your buddy up on that. if he can do a stand alone like you said im sure the wrx swap is simple for him. as far as engine internals i know the 2.2t stuff is good and im not lookin to make any insane horse but i saw you had a rod bearing go. i have been lookin at internals do you have any suggestions on what is should go with that wont be crazy pricey. (cosworth) one more thing. how does the engine comp for the bigger diplacment? is it just fine or do you need to tune it.

grayguy
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Numbchux conversions has done a few WRX swaps, so he can do it no problem, just email him.

The reason I spun a rod bearing had nothing to do with power levels, it had to do with a mystery motor that I didn't know the history of. If your factory bottom end is still good, it should hold 250Hp and be fine (I believe, do some research on that too). If you want to go bigger, get wiesco pistons and sti rods (supposedly good to 350ish, $400-600), bigger than that wisecos and Eagle rods(400hp+ $700-900, and the no-holds-bar bottom end to end all bottom ends would be CTP (or CPT?) pistons and eagle rods(good for lots, and $1200-1500). I don't guarantee any of that info to be 100% correct, but it's what I've figured out doing so research on this stuff...

h4life
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
awesome. i'm researching now. i have see his name over at ultimate subaru. i have a 1986 brat. ill give him a shout. i have so old subi parts he might want. thanx for guiding me along ill keep you posted. and for anyone else reading dont be afraid to chime in.

xXGTBspecXx
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
can i just say im selling a turbo setup? cough it kinda has alot of essentials. :roll:

h4life
01-27-2009, 02:30 AM
sweet.

Bohemian_Funk
02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Having researched basically this exact build for myself, allow me to make at least the following suggestion:

Go with either the Phase 1 EJ25 heads, or the EJ257 heads instead of the WRX's EJ205 heads. I can't really go into details because I don't know exactly why myself, but that's how Subaru made the 22b Impreza (2.2L DOHC Turbo using phase 1 EJ25 heads and a slightly different version of the USDM EJ22 Turbo short block that shares some design qualities with the EJ20K, thus why the engine was called the EJ22K), and generally there's a good reason as to why the manufacturers do things. Remember, Subaru is part of Fuji Heavy Industries (read: one of the biggest manufacturers in Japan), and thus has spent WAY more money on R&D than we have. On top of that, the OE manufacturer is generally just as concerned with cutting costs as your average grease monkey, as they have to make MONEY. Not everyone can be Volkswagen (The Bugatti Veyron) :grin:.

I myself am going to go the route of the EJ257 heads if I ever get to start this project (currently my Corolla will likely make it difficult for me to want to spend much money on my Subaru, but you never know). Preferrably the new 08+ STi heads, as they have dual AVCS, and you can bet your A$$ that if I can run a dual AVCS setup on an EJ22, I'll try.

My two cents,
Scott

h4life
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
i would like to use my heads from the the 2.5 but the reason i was going to go with the wrx heads was just to avoid running a stand alone witch i feel i would have to do if i used different components. is this true? there is no way i could just plug in the 2.5phs1 heads and have them work with the wrx ecu is there? btw thats awsome you have an ae86

Bohemian_Funk
02-07-2009, 05:25 PM
i would like to use my heads from the the 2.5 but the reason i was going to go with the wrx heads was just to avoid running a stand alone witch i feel i would have to do if i used different components. is this true? there is no way i could just plug in the 2.5phs1 heads and have them work with the wrx ecu is there? btw thats awsome you have an ae86

Well hmm... Honestly since I don't have an EJ25 to work with, I couldn't tell you, but I'm pretty sure if you look at rs25.com you could find your answers. After a quick glance I found this: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3541

If I recall, same year LGT's and 2.5RS' use the same engine, so plan accordingly.

Also thanks, I think my 86 is awesome, too :smt023. I've also got a 1982 280ZX Turbo with no engine on the way, but I have to pay my friend a few hundred bucks for it first xD. Jeez at this rate I'll probably have four different cars by the end of this year (I might get a job at a local auto repair/machining shop that specializes in Subaru's, in which case I'll likely grab an Impreza coupe rolling chassis to fool around with) :lol:

- Scott