PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Problem

Blake
01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Hi guys

I have a problem with my 95 BG5 EJ20T legacy. When I turn the key on just before starting the car there is a very clicking coming from the left front guard and I have hear a solinoid clicking in the black vacuum box.

I have also just noticed under the intercooler on the drivers side something that is about the size of a shoe polish can moving in time with the solenoid noise.

What is this??

I will try and get some pictures of what is moving. Ive had a look in a service manual I have to try and see what it is but I couldn't find it.

keltik
01-25-2009, 01:51 AM
95....black box of doom....

Is this a twin turbo by any chance? If it is....the part you see moving will probably be the primary turbo wastegate actuator.
Also if its a twin turbo...Whereabout are you? Im guessing NZ or UK

If its a single turbo BG - get a pic of the problem part and ill see what i can figure out

Blake
01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Yes its a twin turbo BG5. I thought it might have been the wastegate. What controls this, is there a something located in the left front guard that controls this as thats there I hear clicking coming from.

btw I am in CHCH, I see your from the Nth island.

rougeben83
01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
boost control solenoid would be whats connected to the wastegate...that may be the problem.

keltik
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Is your check engine light on? If its not i wouldnt worry about the clicking.

On start up - the twin turbo system does a quick diagnostic check of everything. In the front left gaurd is a vacuum tank and a couple of small solenoids related to that. The wastegates for both turbos should be controlled by the black box of doom.

Is the car driving normally?

And yup Whakatane/Palmerston North here mate :razz:

Blake
01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Ok I will take a look at the vaccum tank and its solenoids. Could be a loose wire or faulty solenoid.

Will let you's know how I get on thanks.

Blake
01-27-2009, 04:29 AM
hey turns out having the having the green diag reset plugs connected was causing the issue.

However ive now got CEL errors 21, 22 and 23. Surely all of these things cant have failed at once. The car seems to run sweet and doesn't splutter or miss. Ive tired disconnecting the battery for 10 mins and that hasn't solved anything.

What could cause this many errors?

keltik
01-27-2009, 02:00 PM
ah yup the green plugs will do it everytime. Its not uncommon for one sensor to fail and trip a few codes.

Try clearing the codes using the appropriate method;

Connect green and black connectors. Turn ignition to ON position without turning on engine. At this point if the check engine light does not come on, it is faulty and must be fixed before continuing. Depress accelerator pedal to floor, return to half throttle and hold for two seconds, then release. Start the engine.

Let me know if you get any codes after the old ones have been cleared. Unhooking the battery doesnt always do it