PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question Regarding Battery Chargers

T_F_E
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
So I have always wondered, is it alright to hook up your standard car battery charger then set the key in accessory mode and play music through the car stereo (like when working in the garage)? The I have a charger that is pretty fast (not a trickle charger) does it provide enough power quick enough do you think?

97legacygt
01-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, it would provide enough power to play your radio without the engine running, but I would not recommend a high amp charge on your battery because it isn't good for it and has a better chance of going kaboom. The best way to charge any battery is with a trickle charge. There are some batteries that can only be trickle charged. I would think that a trickle charger would put enough amps into the battery to run the radio as long as you don't have an entire sound system with subs and everything, but again it is increased wear on your battery.

T_F_E
01-25-2009, 11:56 PM
That what I was thinking, alot of show cars have plugs so they can pretty much do this any ideas on what they have? I guess I could just disconnect battery and hook charger right on to wires.

T_F_E
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I hate a bump a dead thread but does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Isnt the battery always losing and gaining charge from the alternator?

decke48
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM
i dont think it will hurt anything. unless maybe your running the charger at 30/40 amps. but i dont see a problem if your running it at 5/10/15 amps