PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipped

95legacyl
11-10-2005, 05:26 PM
i just got a new clutch put in less than 2 months ago and just a minute ago i went to accelerate hard and the clutch slips and you could smell it burning up i quickly got off the gas and stoped then went on like normal and its seems to ok it will accelerate hard just fine but is this anything to worry about?

Wiscon_Mark
11-10-2005, 10:28 PM
sounds like it.

Go to whoever installed it, and ask them to look at it.

If it is in fact an installation error (or you have a warranty on the new clutch) then it should be repaired for free.

Plays_with_Toys
11-10-2005, 11:55 PM
sounds like it.

Go to whoever installed it, and ask them to look at it.

If it is in fact an installation error (or you have a warranty on the new clutch) then it should be repaired for free.

As well as the inspection. Remember, AWD plus high rev, clutch dropping just doesn't go well together. FWD/RWD cars can usually chirp a tire to relieve the stress of such hard driving actions, but with AWD, there's not enough slip and you can cause drivetrain problems. I imagine the clutch should be bedded in, but you still could get a slip if you were at a dead stop and did what I said above.

95legacyl
11-11-2005, 10:37 AM
yeah but that would make alot of sense BUT as ive said befor my parents bought me a fwd legacy

Plays_with_Toys
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Ahhh... I forgot they had FWD's in 95. Well then, yeah, definately need the shop to get it fixed. Did they ever show you your old clutch plate? When I had my toyota's clutch replaced he showed me the parts he took off.

tjpete04
11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
is it even possibly to spin the tires in an EJ22 if you drop the clutch, if so do all four tires spin (AWD). I've never tried

gil_ong81
11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
is it even possibly to spin the tires in an EJ22 if you drop the clutch, if so do all four tires spin (AWD). I've never tried

FWD

tjpete04
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
i remmber i saw an STI spin tires once and just the back wheals spun

95legacyl
11-11-2005, 05:18 PM
i spin them all the time lol

95legacyl
11-11-2005, 05:18 PM
i remmber i saw an STI spin tires once and just the back wheals spun
yeah theres a video of a eclipse gsx spinning just the rear its pretty sweet ill find it in a minute

Wiscon_Mark
11-11-2005, 10:45 PM
It's pretty much impossible to spin all 4 wheels with an EJ22, unless you go in reverse and drop the clutch in 1st or something dangerous and damaging like that.

Yeah, FWD puts a lot more power to the wheels, it should be easy to spin :twisted:

I'd guess the STi was using the rear differential adjuster, but that's still bad on the tranny, if only the back wheels are turning. It can only go as far as 70/30 split (either way) IIRC.

jey
11-12-2005, 11:28 AM

Yes, in the rain, snow, dirt, mud, grass, anything but pavement. You don't even have to drop the clutch! :D Actually, I've spun tires in an autocross before too - if you're taking a turn real hard there isn't much traction left for power delivery so the tires spin if you romp on the accelerator mid-turn :)

There's some tire-spinning action in the pics on my avatar
<--

Natoe
11-17-2005, 03:41 AM
hehe try driving my EJ22T swapped impreza with FWD...spins the tires in 4th gear in a straight line when its wet, through second when its dry, but now all it does it slip the clutch at the slightest build of boost :( (awd swap coming soon)

95legacyl
11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
how much would an awd swap cost

Natoe
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
well for you it wouldnt be bad, just find a donor car legacy, like a 90-94 one that has a bad engine, they go for real cheap. obviously AWD and 5MT.
all the rear end stuff will bolt up to your 95, and of course the tranny and everything.

for imprezas i know you need an AWD fuel tank as well, not sure if you do on a legacy, but if you do youd have a legacy donor car to get it from.

i have a seen a wrecked but mechanically good legacy TURBO go for 400, 5spd AWD.... so id look for something less than 400 for you.

Wiscon_Mark
11-17-2005, 07:58 PM
for imprezas i know you need an AWD fuel tank as well, not sure if you do on a legacy, but if you do youd have a legacy donor car to get it from.

I'm pretty sure that applies to the Legacy as well.