PDA

View Full Version : FWD?

ooberdoob
11-11-2005, 12:48 PM
so, how exactly are the FWD trannies set up? just like an AWD but a mount point instead of rear axle or what? anyone have pictures of each opened to compare?

thanks!

Doobie

95legacyl
11-11-2005, 05:20 PM
well i can take some pictures of mine tomarow its to dark right now dont feel like droping a car on my head tonight plus my dads leaving my moms out of town and theres a fridge full of beer with my name on it

Natoe
11-17-2005, 03:30 AM
the trannies look the same.. almost. of course the engines are mounted the same, and the tranny and gearset follow it like for AWD, but it is shorter, not transfer case, just the front 2 axles. if you were to look from the engine bay, you cant tell if its FWD or AWD

BAC5.2
12-06-2005, 04:09 AM
I can clear this up if anyone wants.

The FWD is TOTALLY different than AWD.

A) I don't think there was ever a hydraullic clutch for a FWD, that's an easy way to tell from the engine bay.

B) The input shaft is the same as for AWD. The output shaft, however, is very different.

For AWD, there is the pinion gear mated to the pinion shaft. The output shaft of the AWD tranny actually sits around the pininon shaft. It's a shaft in a shaft.

Because power needs to be able to be transmitted front to rear, the pinion shaft needs to spin independently of the output shaft.

Gears are pressed onto the output shaft. The output shaft rides on the pinion shaft on bearings.

There is a splined end of the output shaft, and the splined end of the pinion shaft left.

You drop this assembly into the case, and you have now got the output and pinion shaft sticking out of the rear of the case, with 5th gear attached to the tranny output shaft. You have the input shaft sticking out of the case as well, with the mating 5th gear on it (and it's selector hub and the 5 and reverse synchros and carriers).

Then you have a shaft spinning off of the output shaft. This spins at whatever gear the tranny is in. There is a gear that is attached to the pinion shaft, and the center diff. This feeds the center diff. Then there is the output of the center diff to the rear wheels. I haven't paid much attention to that section of the transmission, so I might be wrong on some of the details, but you get the idea.

The pinion shaft is not directly spun by the output shaft, but rather through the center diff.

The FWD is simple. The gears that need pressing are pressed directly onto the pinion shaft. That's it.

Select gear, it spins the front diff. Easy. Super easy. Reliable too. But the gears are MUCH smaller than AWD gears, and as such aren't as strong.