PDA

View Full Version : Someone want to explain the whole TOP HAT deal to me ????

GT Wagon
11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
MY97 Legacy GT Wagon

I've been doing some reading on various forums about suspension options for my car. I auto-x'd my Jetta for several years and want to continue wiht the Legacy. The suspension is well worn and needs replacing if I'm going to be at all competitive. For shocks I think I have it narrowed down to KYB GR2's or AGX's matched with Whiteline springs. This is going to be a daily driver that is taken to the track on weekends.

I know they make GR2's specific to the Legacy but not AGX's. I keep reading about swapping out the "top hats" and making sure I have the right top hats.... can someone explain what they are and what different kinds suit my needs ? Can I re-use the top hats that came with my car or should I buy new ones, where do I buy new ones ?

95legacy
11-12-2005, 01:04 AM
It all depends what struts youre buying, all subarus pretty much run the same strut design just different spring perches and tophats, if your buying struts specific for your legacy model as well as springs then the ones you have will be fine, otherwise you need the corresponding model for which the struts you purchase are for. Hope that makes sense and helps.
Peace,
Kyle

GT Wagon
11-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Helps a little . Well lets say I go for the AGX which is not made specifically for the Legacy and match them with Whiteline springs made for the Legacy. What am I going to need there ?

Also, there's a place that imports used JDM suspension. Say I picked up a VI STi setup (or whatever version of STi). Since those are Impreza setups, what would I need there ?

95legacy
11-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I believe the AGX's would work from a older gen legacy with the whiteline springs, not sure what other models too. I'm looking to put WRX struts in mine, I'm not super educated on this stuff though, but one of the moderators on here has sti pinks on wrx struts on his BD, he might be of a little more help.

belladonna
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah, that would be ryan (pwise)...he's pretty busy with work, school, etc...i would pm him...

Wiscon_Mark
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Any impreza specific suspension stuff (which the AGXs are) for the 93-01 models will work on 90-99 Legacies.

I don't know a whole lot about the top hats, but I would assume that is how the strut interfaces with the car's frame.

belladonna
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/InvernessShadow/tophatcopy.jpg

Wiscon_Mark
11-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I guess I was right ;)

belladonna
11-13-2005, 02:15 PM
you're a smart cookie :wink:

i've also heard of legacy owners running the STi rubber mounts

Wiscon_Mark
11-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Yeah, the STi mounts are supposed to be real nice :)

GT Wagon
11-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Well that clarifies it. Now can I resuse my top hats or is that a wear & tear item ? Now which STi rubber mounts are you referring to and are they interchangeable throughout different years ?

belladonna
11-13-2005, 05:41 PM
you can reuse your mounts...most strut assemblies don't come with new ones. so you'll have to have a spring compressor handy so you can disasemble your strut to get the mount off.

the STi mounts you can interchange. i was planning on using them on my 93 if that gives you an idea.

scottzg
11-14-2005, 01:23 AM
im running 'group N' mounts for a gc impreza. It's mostly a feel thing, imo, although it certainly isn't going to hurt your overall grip. Supposedly they're good for an inch and a half of deflection, the firmer ones being a stiffer rubber. GD rear ones won't bolt up without modifying the strut towers, iirc, but GC ones are the same.

Wish i could describe the exact change in feel and whatnot, but they went in with the rest of the stuff.