PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump/filter?

badbasser98
11-11-2005, 10:05 PM
This is the second time (since May) that I have experienced this....

Get in car after driving short distance to the store, leave store, get in car.... won't fire, just turns over and sputters a few times. turn key again, absolutly nothing except the starter turning over, third time: starts after 6 revolutions and at a VERY low idle, then pics up.... Runs completly fine after that!? :scratch:

really hope its just something like the fuel filter, and not the pump (heard those are a bitch to replace). Everytime I start the car, I wait untill I hear the fuel pump shut off before I turn the key, have heard it everytime... Why I am leaning more towards filter.

Any ideas?

thanks,
-BB98

Plays_with_Toys
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Well the filter is cheap and a 5 minute job. So why not replace it? How many miles are on your car?

xcntrk75
11-12-2005, 08:53 AM
...and the 2.5 NA pumps supply fuel at a constant pressure (i.e. on or off), so if it were truly going bad your car wouldn't start at all...

shazapple
11-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I know on the BD/BG legacys the Fuel filter is in the engine bay, but im not so sure about that on the BE/BH

badbasser98
11-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the replys guys... I'll check into the filter.

Yes, its in the engine bay, pretty much right on top of the drivers side strut tower..

I've got just over 59,000 miles on it.

-BB98

Plays_with_Toys
11-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, a new fuel filter isn't going to hurt things. I just thought of something, if you are driving the car hard, and then pull in, stop shut off immediately, sometimes there is a lot of fuel getting sent to the motor, and it can flood the engine slightly. I know on several owner's manuals I've read to park the car for 30 seconds before shutting it off. I thought I read it in the leg manual as well, but I could be mistaken.

badbasser98
11-13-2005, 12:58 AM
actually, i was driving the car the easiest i ever have that night, especially the short trip to the store...

shazapple
11-13-2005, 03:43 AM
Check your air filter too.

our 4Runner would just die whenever you let off the gas, or at random low idle points. My dad changed the fuel filter and didnt make much of a difference. I checked the air filter and it was CRAMMED full of sunflower seeds, with many more littering the box. Some mouse had got in there and stored his winter stash, and even chewed at the filter a bit. Anyway, problem solved after getting a new filter. This example is kinda extreme, but might as well check the simple stuff first.

Wiscon_Mark
11-13-2005, 09:48 AM
maybe the idle air bypass line is clogged?

I don't even know if there is one on the BEs but its just a guess...

badbasser98
11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
nah, the air filter is good, but I will probly change it before winter anyway.