PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine

1codo
04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, check engine light came on yesterday :!: Fluids look good, temp looks good, engine sounds fine, no leaking fluids...

I noticed today that it sounds like an exhaust leak when the engine is under load. Would a blown exhaust gasket be enough to trip a sensor? The car is still "New" relatively, so this should be a warranty repair :evil: Got it new in Sept. with 6000 dealer miles on it. We've already added 16k more.

shazapple
04-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Easiest way to know would be to get the code pulled for free at a pep boys or autozone.

Headgasket can usually be diagnosed by overheating, oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, coolant leaking from the engine, or a sweet smell coming from the exaust.

If the car acts fine then it could just be an erroneous code. I got a CEL, so I unplugged my battery for an hour or so and reconnected it. This resets the ECU and erases the CEL. If it comes back then you know you do have a problem.

Im going to guess its something to do with the O2 sensor, just because thats usually what goes wrong.

1codo
04-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Problem solved. I did have the code read at Autozone; just had to wait until after work to go there. Damn gas cap!

Apparently my wife didn't put it on tight enough. I noticed it was loose last night and tightened it. I guess I just didn't drive it far enough today to reset the code.

I'm still not sure about the exhaust. It sounded a little loud to me, but I hadn't driven the car for a couple weeks. I'll put it up on ramps and check the down tubes when it quits raining here.

Tris_STi
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM
The new-er cars, including Legacies, now, have some deal where the gas-cap has to be on just right, or else it throws a code. You can thank California and their emissions laws that are spreading like Paris Hilton and herpes type 1.
The only other time I've heard of a gas cap throwing a code was on my friends' ML320, which doesn't start up at the pump unless the cap's been turned, and clicks at least 3 times.. :roll:

Too bad Legacies run pretty clean, no matter what...