PDA

View Full Version : New WRX headunit for the Legacy

rclsubaru
03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I just put in a 05 WRX 6 disc headunit into the BE tonight before work, I'll post up some pics tomarrow. Bought it off some guy on Naisoc about a week ago. I didn't think the silver would look that great in between the black HVAC and cubby but it actually looks decent. Im glad that Subaru kept the lights in the buttons green so it doesn't look awkward in the dash :smile:

Only thing that I've notice thats odd with it is that it stays on for a few seconds after the key is fully out of the ignition, then shuts off. Is this normal for the headunit to do this?

Also my old headunit, the cd player would occasinally skip and it just annoyed the hell out of me. But it does have a weather band control button, don't know if this is worth anything to sell it or not. :smt017

KAG
03-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I bought an 04 WRX headunit off a guy on NASIOC for dirt cheap, pretty similar to what you described except the 04 was the last year with the cassette player, which I wanted to play my iPod. Both are silver, 05 just has the nicer buttons and whatnot :smile:

Mine stays on a few seconds after I take the key out as well. I like to have fun and mess around with my passenger's heads though so I tell them the radio doesn't shut off until I open the door. I'll turn the car off, take the key out, count to about 4 seconds and open the door right when the radio shuts off. They ask how it does that I just tell them it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru. They ask to do it again I tell them to get out, lol.

The stock unit is pretty common, but you can try to throw it on ebay or something. State that it skips, but sell it as is. Or, you could just keep it and when/if you go to sell your BE, take the 6-disc out, put the old one back in and see if you can make a few bucks by selling the 6-disc :smt002

Huffer
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Toss the old one. The hassle for reinstalling it and potentially breaking or scratching the 6 disc if you sell isn't worth it.

rclsubaru
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Veryyy pleased with this little mod :smile:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

greenleg88
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey,
so ive been reading and it seems like the stock wrx head units are plug and play with a 97 legacy sedan?

is that true?
i saw a few postings regarding this but i figured id look for just this answer..
if not how much wiring did you all have to do to get it to work?
im not sure if i want to get an 02 or an 05. if the wiring is the same it doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks!
Fred

d1giPhux
03-24-2009, 02:35 PM
They are plug and play.. i also have one of the sti units in my car! Nice mod!

ScarySkulls
03-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Nice mod!

Did you notice any differences in Sound Quality? If yes, can you please describe?
Thanks.

rclsubaru
04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice mod!

Did you notice any differences in Sound Quality? If yes, can you please describe?
Thanks.

Thanks! Sorry I haven't been in the Audio topics in a while.. but honestly, I don't believe there was much of a change, if any. I guess it might increase the volume, but I'm not sure, I've never put the volume over 20.

Its 1000000000000% better though in terms of looks/useability/badassness I must say. :wink:

6 disc ftw :smt023

T_F_E
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I got the same as yours (05) and I noticed a huge difference in sound quality over my 97 one.

rclsubaru
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I got the same as yours (05) and I noticed a huge difference in sound quality over my 97 one.

Nice, I already have the upgraded speakers the LTD came with so it wasn't too drastic. Their beginning to wear down though but I'm not sure on what speakers to get, I'm not much into the audio area.