PDA

View Full Version : gc8 steering wheel in bd?

theboyo19
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
i have a gc8 momo steering wheel for my bd. but the plugs are different. i remember someone told me that the air bag systems changed in 97 on the bd right? i have a 95 but i also have the system form the 98lgt that i had. if the gc8 wheel is newer than 97 can i swap the air bag system?. ive looked at the prongs and theyre clearly different (95 system has 3 plugs and the 98 has just one on it....)(i do have the 98 dash i was going to install as well so that bag would be the same)
i want my airbags to work but if im being dumb with this let me down gently lol :wink:
thanks for any help

impreza_GC8
03-16-2009, 03:52 AM
The plug for the airbag on my '97 Outback was different than the steering wheel airbag plug on my '00 2.5RS wheel. I tried to swap them because I too have the JDM Momo wheel in my GC and I have an extra leather 2.5RS wheel laying around. One thing you could try that I did not do is just use your Legacy airbag on the GC steering wheel. I can't believe I didn't think to do that. They detach from the wheel by removing the 4 torx bolts and the cruise lever. I wouldn't be surprised if they bolt up to each other. Let me know how it works, I might swap the bags myself too.

theboyo19
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
welli had the 95 wheel in my car to begin with and i to thought that but theyre different shapes completely. maybe the 98 airbag would bolt up but right now my problem was when i wired up the airbag with the 95 system the aribag light would come on.. does this mean i need a different system or did i just wire it in wrong?

impreza_GC8
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
While sitting in my car yesterday I realized why I didn't swap the bags. The airbag outside cover that says Subaru and has the horn symbol on it is leather on my RS wheel and vinyl or whatever on the Legacy so if I swapped the wheel rim but kept the airbag it wouldn't match. Thats why I didn't do it.

Answering your question. The reason the light is on is because there is a double locking safety plug (green and/or yellow) that must be disconnected to remove the bag. When you reconnect an airbag both tabs must be locked. The airbag system can detect if the plug isn't locked down all the way and if you hardwired your bag then there is no plug at all so it will read an error. You need to wire in a resistor to eliminate the light. I'm not sure what the proper resistance is.

Huffer
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
The problem you have really is that the later airbag system was DEPOWERED as the early versions exploded with too much force. So the systems themselves are different. 95 was the first year, and by 97 it had already been revised.

chuckthefuk
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
You need to wire in a resistor to eliminate the light. I'm not sure what the proper resistance is.

3OHM.

If you use the resistor mod then the airbag plug you used the resistor on will not function. Every other airbag in your car will still function..

The resistor tricks the sensor into thinking that the airbag is still connected.

most guys use this mod when they change there seats to airbag-less units. You trick the airbag system into thinking that you still have airbags in your seats,. This will cause your dash airbags to still function.

Now back to your GC8 Wheel.

It is a possibility to swap in a complete Airbag (SRS) system with ECU + harness. I have both a 97 systems and 98 systems sitting in my garage. if you want them I'll be happy to send them to you for FREE just pay the shipping. I am in Canada so it might cost $60 or so.

Other options include sourcing a 00-01 RS airbag system.

Good luck
-chuck

theboyo19
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
i do have the wireing and computer form the98 do i really need the ecu and harness.? or did you mean the aribag controll unit? i do have that too but is it necessairy

chuckthefuk
03-17-2009, 05:09 PM
i do have the wireing and computer form the98 do i really need the ecu and harness.? or did you mean the aribag controll unit? i do have that too but is it necessairy

Yup Airbag control unit is the same as the Airbag ECU.

yes ur going to need it. The connectors should be different as huffer explained. Different system = Different set of commands from the ECU.

I suggest that you plug in the complete airbag system from the 98 and mount the wheel to the proper connectors. start the car and see if that works. don't mount anything until you are sure it works.

theboyo19
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
:wink: i thought you meant engine ecu.. not airbag ecu lol.
yeah ive got that and the harness up to the bumpers and steering wheel everything. ill give it a go :smile: thanks