PDA

View Full Version : "Running in" the ECU

gil_ong81
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
So I'm wondering if there is a proper way to "run in" the ECU after a reset.

I've heard different things:
a. drive it hard
b. drive it as you normally would
c. keep it below 3,000 rpms for about 5 minutes or 3 miles, then drive it hard.
d. keep it below 3,000 rpms for about 5 minutes or 3 miles, then drive normally.

Any insights?

Sarra
11-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Stick an M80 in it?

I unplug the battery, leave it overnight.

In the morning (or afternoon, or evening, whenever I manage to wake up), I plug it back in, start it, shut it off, start it again and let it idle for 15 minutes. Then, I shut it off, turn it on, and drive normally.

Wiscon_Mark
11-20-2005, 08:35 PM
well, since its learning your driving style, its going to learn (within the first few tanks) how you drive normally, and provide the optimum fuel/air ratio for that style of driving.

So drive it like you always do.

If you beat on it hard, it'll be ready to provide a heck of a lot of fuel all the time once it's learned, and you'll be running rich.

If you want good mileage, you can run it very lightly for a couple tanks, and then drive normally and you'll run a little lean.

That's how I look at it.

Huffer
11-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Drive it normally. It'll operate within factory set tolerances anyway.

Anything outside of tolerances, and CEL will flash, if the test cycle (which is continuous) fails the specific component twice. 3rd time it fails it'll throw CEL.

Example: PO130 - O2 sensor Bank 1 Circuit 1

If this is malfunctioning, the car will run rich and fuel economy drops.
The ECU isn't getting an O2 signal so it runs it's rich map to prevent leaning out the AFR.

shazapple
11-21-2005, 12:40 AM
I drive my car hard, and its learned how I drive. Shifts earlier and definitly uses more gas.

If I drive my moms car its sooooo slow, and never shifts down.