PDA

View Full Version : turboing the NA

supra90turbo
11-25-2005, 03:53 PM
so, yeah. i've been thinking about it.
i have an extra turbo from my supra.
it would be a shame to see it not doing anything.

so, i was wondering what the NA electronics can handle.
does the maf understand boost? i'm sure it does... but how much?

what CC are my stock injectors?

i will be tuning, most likely, with an s-afc, and more than likely wideband. plx is good, so is the innovate LM-1...

either way, what is the opinion of such a setup?
how much boost can the n/a ej22e safely handle?
it will be intercooled, of course... since i simply dont trust non-intercooled turbocharged cars...

basically this will be a semi-temporary solution as i search for an ej22t block/crank/pistons.

this is not immediate, yet more or less eventual and i would like to gather up some information so i dont head into it blind.

so..... discuss. :-D

-kurt

shooter
11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
From what I have been able to find out the N/A engines in standard form will take 5 - 6 psi of boost, not much but it should give you about 25 - 40% power increase.

ECU, injectors, MAF etc will be stretched but can cope with it, you'd really need to look at an intercooler, even at those low pressures to help make the most of it.

Not overly hard to do at all, getting the right bits can take a while but its dead easy to convert them.

supra90turbo
11-25-2005, 09:44 PM
what sort of bits are you talking about, shooter?
from what i understand, injectors, an oil feed and return, custom up and downpipes, and some IC piping. as well as either a stock wrx tmic, or i was thinking some type of ebay $100 fmic.... it's really all i would need.

i have a turbo. i actually have a choice of a bunch... i can use the CT26 turbo that's off my supra, or a 14b off my friends DSM that he would probably let go for cheap, or a T25 off a 2G DSM that i could probably get for cheap also, and possibly some saab turbos.....
so, the turbo option is there. i would rather use the CT26 simply because i have one. but the only problem i can see is limiting it to 5 or 6 psi

now the NA engine can take 5-6psi in which manner? is it electronically limited? or is it mechanically limited?

also, any idea on the stock injectors CC's?

thanks

Perdue
11-25-2005, 10:33 PM
The block can only safely hold 6psi for a long period of time as a rule of thumb. Most turbo kits and their manufacurers recommend 5-6psi.

A guy on NASIOC says to have run 11psi on his BE (I think...the sedan after BD) SOHC EJ25 for something like 30k without any compression loss over that period of time. I wouldn't try this.

You'll need the turbo, UP, DP, exhaust, an intake of some sort, intercooler pipes, intercooler, gauges (Boost, Air/Fuel, and Pyrometer for a basic set), and a few other things to control it all. Rallitek carries a piggyback that you can tune yourself if you know what you're doing. The SAFC-2 is also an option with a good knock sensor added into the mix. I think most people are using manual boost controllers to keep things safe, yet simple. There have been a few custom turbo kits put together at very good prices, but IIRC, they usually use the stock WRX turbo.

Without proper boost control and engine management (with a decent tune), you're going to be heading for disaster IMO. None of that matters though if your engine isn't in great condition to begin with...I'd start on this by doing compression and leakdown tests to make sure everything is working in the cylinder within specs...if your motor has a flaw to begin with, adding forced induction is only going to exaggerate that flaw.

Edit: Also, upgraded fuel injectors and fuel pump would be nice.

Wiscon_Mark
11-26-2005, 07:15 PM
The EJ22E is supposedly better than the EJ25D for taking boost, and I've heard of people safely running 8-9 psi on the EJ22. Intercooling will allow the engine to take more boost more safely, so you probably want to look at that, but definitely do what Perdue said first.

I'd still only boost around 5-6psi...

badbasser98
11-26-2005, 10:08 PM
The EJ22E is supposedly better than the EJ25D for taking boost, and I've heard of people safely running 8-9 psi on the EJ22. Intercooling will allow the engine to take more boost more safely, so you probably want to look at that, but definitely do what Perdue said first.

I'd still only boost around 5-6psi...

Actually, I have heard the opposite. I have always been told that the EJ22 will ALWAYS burn lean in the 4th cylinder when on boost... Then you burn a nice little hole in the top of the piston :wink: ... I would stay away from boost on a N/A EJ22...

-BB98

Wiscon_Mark
11-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I'd imagine that that's a problem with the
MAF
ECU
Fuel Pump
Fuel Injectors

All of which can be upgraded

But then again, if you're going that far, why not get an EJ22T block???

sheepdog
11-27-2005, 11:50 AM
From what I can tell, any subaru engine will toast that cylinder if you boost it enough. Solution: perrin fuel rails. However, if you are going to go to all the trouble to upgrade the fuel system to run maybe 9psi, just swap the engine. Talk to xcntrk75, his car is fast as Jesus :shock:

supra90turbo
11-27-2005, 09:38 PM
sweet. thanks guys for the info.

i think i'm definetely going to start looking for an ej22t shortblock then go with that.

i have a bunch of stuff from my supra, but i'm not sure if i want to use it on my legacy...
60mm Greddy Boost, Air/Fuel, and EGT, all Peak/Hold/Warning
and a Greddy Profec BspecII

as far as i know, the engine has as many miles as the body does... 213,000mi...

i doubt that i have optimal compression, also because my friend just bought a really nice 92 wagon with 117k on it and we raced on the hwy, he has an intake(just cone filter)
i have snorkusectomy, aluminum intake piping from stock airbox to TB, gutted 2nd cat, and 2 1/4" catback

he pulled on me pretty hard one time because i wasnt paying attention, i kept up with him the 2nd time, but barely... only because i'm a quicker shift than he is...

sheepdog
11-27-2005, 11:50 PM
an AFC would be nice, however i dunno about the rest of that stuff. Keep us updated on the project!

Oh, and just some advice, if you come across an EJ22t block, BUY IT! They arent easy to come by.

Legacy-Version94
12-19-2005, 12:19 PM
From what I can tell, any subaru engine will toast that cylinder if you boost it enough. Solution: perrin fuel rails. However, if you are going to go to all the trouble to upgrade the fuel system to run maybe 9psi, just swap the engine. Talk to xcntrk75, his car is fast as Jesus :shock:
yep, this is true. the number 4 cylinder was a big problem in the WRX tuning world back in '01. This was back when the WRX first came to America and everyone was buying MBCs and EBCs and boosting more than stock.... people were frying the cylinders left and right. That is why Perrin came up with Fuel Rails. So you can just upgrade the rails and the injectors and you should be golden.