PDA

View Full Version : SWVRSCCA Last Chance Auto-X

Perdue
11-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Our last autocross of the season was this past sunday. I made a custom camera mount that attaches to the stock seats' headrest. Unfortunately, it doesn't show as much of the road ahead as I had hoped, so it's back to the drawing board to redesign something until I can figure out if the Sparco Harness Bars will fit in our cars. Anyways, I forgot to tape my first run, but got the 2nd and 3rd. Unfortunately, I'm ashamed to say I was the second slowest person on course that day. I wasn't being too aggressive and found very little confidence in the P-Zero Nero M+S's on the track (they're a great tire for the street though).

At the end of the second video, you can pretty much see my disappointment in my own performace, but that's ok. A sponsered STi driver said he'd ride with me next year to give me some pointers. If you look in the second video, you can see when I come through the reverse part of the course, the tires let me down and send me sliding some.

Anyways, ON WITH IT. Here's my in car videos. Once again, sorry for the bad angle.

2nd Run:
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.asp ... 1CAD135C7C (http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=891DD4D1-0830-4CD6-A6F9-991CAD135C7C)

3rd Run:
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.asp ... 8A12E66E81 (http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=8AE86D91-7ADD-45C4-94EC-A88A12E66E81)

EXP1787
11-28-2005, 11:20 AM
For the love of God, man... Keep both hands on the wheel!!!@!@!!!!1

Car looks surprisingly planted, but needs more oversteer :twisted: I'll have to take my wagon out for a couple of fun runs next year, but the points events are reserved for my STS2 monstarrrrrrrrr.

Wiscon_Mark
11-28-2005, 04:51 PM
"system error"

:(

ooberdoob
11-28-2005, 11:42 PM
nice. so whats there for exhaust on dat thing

Perdue
11-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Borla Header, Custom 2.25" headerback exhaust pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow resonator, Borla Turbo Muffler with Oval tip. And yeah, I know about the hands thing. This is only my second auto-x, so I'm learning.

pdawg
11-30-2005, 09:09 AM
I've been planning on going to our local Auto-x. Maybe next spring. This course seemed to be very tight. Are they all like this or do you ever get courses that you can really open it up?

EXP1787
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
I've been planning on going to our local Auto-x. Maybe next spring. This course seemed to be very tight. Are they all like this or do you ever get courses that you can really open it up?
Its different for every region, but I believe that the limit for a SCCA sanctioned event is around 70MPH for the fastest cars on the track. Granted, this is a loose limit (ie they aren't going to have an official clocking your speeds) but it is a fairly standard maximum. In my local region in my 1.6l Miata, I rarely get out of 2nd gear (which tops out around 60mph.) I would think that you'd never have to leave second in a Legacy.

Perdue
12-06-2005, 08:11 PM
we had a course set up where one guy claimed to hit 90mph (CLAIMED). The last one I attended was MUCH more open. I did better there than I did here, but I feel like I didn't even drive the car last month...looking at the videos, I was just out for a sunday drive :oops:

Plays_with_Toys
01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey it was you! I found the video browsing on streetfire, but I didn't see this post. I left a comment, but here's the synopsis.

For your slalom line, keep your hands at 9 & 3 and do 3/4 arm locks (meaning that you twist the steering wheel three quarters of the way to getting your arms to touch crossed in front of you). One of the keys to a good slalom is rhythm and vision. Keep your eyes up at the end of the run, using peripheral to view the course. If you're looking at the cones, you'll turn at the cones, instead of turning through the cones. Try and keep a pendulum motion with the steering wheel. Steer one way and back never stopping with the wheel. Obviously to keep a nice rhythm, you have to maintain a constant speed. It looks like you guys are using the same slalom spacing I use at my driving school, which I can average about 30mph through on stock suspension, however, you have to be precise.

Other than that, keeping your hands at 9 & 3, and shuffle steering or armlocking will help with precision, timing, and smoothness. All of which is important when dealing with lower power racing. The more power you have, the better capability you have to make up for mistakes, but if you're slow and lose your momentum, you're screwed.