PDA

View Full Version : brake problems, again!

shazapple
11-29-2005, 09:12 AM
:evil: My brakes are vibrating again! I very much doubt the rotors are warped since theyre brand new, and I dont use my brakes that often!

If they are, Ill be pissed. Im hoping its another stuck slider pin like last time. Maybe I can polish it and grease it up.

gil_ong81
11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
i had brake problems. ended up replacing both front calipers within 6 months of each other. something about teh calipers being stuck. it's been OK since.

and make sure you match your pads with your rotors. i made the mistake of using pads that were too soft and the rotors glazed over.

just remembered that you're on green pads. they really should be OK since they're quite agressive. right?

yeah. i got nothing. sorry.

BAC5.2
11-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Maybe try a different brake pad? I've had nothing but bad luck with EBC brake products (except for a mountain bike! The pads on my downhill bike were awesome!).

One of my rear calipers had seized on the slider pins, and it didn't cause any vibration or anything. One of the brake pads DID wear down so far as to slide between the bracket and the rotor and fall on the ground, COMPLETELY destroying the caliper.

Check to make sure your lugnuts are tight, and that all caliper bolts are torqued properly. It's like the Gas Cap CEL. It happens to everyone eventually. It sucks, and you feel retarded, but you move on.

Sarra
11-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Is it only vibrating on braking, or when you're at high speeds?

Maybe you could get the rotors turned. It would show if they were warped or not, taht's for sure.

shazapple
11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
I can get them tested to see if theyre warped. Im not sure that its possible to get slotted rotors turned.

i really hope theyre not, since theyve only been on the car for a few thousand kilometers.

I looked at the front brakes today and everything seems fine. The only options are that the rear brakes are the problem or the front rotors are warped, grrr.

jey
11-30-2005, 06:29 PM
As someone has already mentioned, your rotors might be glazed over.

You might want to try finding a wide open stretch of back road, getting up to speed (like 70 mph) and slamming down your brakes really hard (not so much that you're engaging ABS) and haul it down to like 5 mph, and repeat a couple times. That has solved glazing problems for me in the past, though it didn't permanently solve the problem.

Sarra
12-01-2005, 04:28 AM
My rear right pad has a rock in it, and it makes my car feel like I have warped rotors sometimes. I think it's actually cracked the pad by now... It's such an irritating sound when driving, that high pitched screech.

Good luck fixing this. :p Sounds like a PITA.

shazapple
12-01-2005, 12:40 PM
so can the rear rotors make the car shimmy? Its not nearly as bad as it used to be, and only present when I have the pedal halfway down (no braking or full braking do no shimmy)

I havent really looked at the rear rotors so I imagine they need some attention.