PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye exhaust manifold. :(

Sarra
12-01-2005, 05:13 AM
My stock manifold seems to have finally let go. I'm afraid either a loose, bent, or damaged heat shield has resulted in a cracked manifold after driving in snow for a while. =\

Should I get it welded and coated, or should i just get a used EL header and cat?

Reason
12-01-2005, 05:55 AM
If you have the money upgrade and buy new.

Huffer
12-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Check out RS25.com.

People sell headers there all the time.

shazapple
12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Chances are its what you hit to cause the heat shield to bend or rip off that caused the leak, not snow.

They sell borla knock offs on ebay. Ive heard positive reviews from people.

Sarra
12-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Well, the heatshield has been rattling like crazy, up until now. Now it rattles but not as bad.

It started to sound pretty bad, popping and roaring, after driving in the snow for a few hours. =\ Which is when it started leaking last time, due to a few bolts working their way out and creating a leak at one of the 4-2 merge points... I did hit a rock going rather fast (35+), but it hit further back, it hit the transmission case (there's a, well, a dent on it)...

Huffer
12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
If the transmission pan is dented, you will want to get a new one.

Sounds like someone needs a skidplate...

voorhees
12-02-2005, 10:54 PM
i just got borla, so if you want mine make an offer

Sarra
12-03-2005, 07:25 AM
If the transmission pan is dented, you will want to get a new one.

Sounds like someone needs a skidplate...

I need a skid plate that goes from the lip under the front bumper allll the way back to the lip of the rear bumper. ;) And from the right side of the car to the left...

Yes, I do. One will be in the works once I get new brake pads (my brakes are so worn down that there is no actual pad left, it's just backing rubbing against the rotor now, at least in the rear).

Wiscon_Mark
12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
i just got borla, so if you want mine make an offer

You have a 99, not the same header design, IIRC.

Sarra
12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I'd rather get a 4-1 header than another 4-2-1 header. :(

As for the heat shield, is it possible to just take the damn thing off and get the manifold coated? Or is that too difficult/expensive to do on a stock manifold?

Wiscon_Mark
12-04-2005, 12:29 AM
I do believe you could take the heatshields off. If the shields are the same as BD/BKs then you can pry or cut them off and see the actual header piping underneath.

Sarra
12-04-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm sure I can get them off, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get them back on, unless I was going to coat them.

I think I'll just save up and get some RalliTek EL headers with high flow cat.

Wiscon_Mark
12-04-2005, 10:42 AM
why do you want to put them back on? They don't do anything, really.

Sarra
12-04-2005, 08:16 PM
o.O I thought the heat shield kept the exhaust manifold from heating up/cooling off rapidly while driving (low speed driving in water) or from running too cool. Hence why people get aftermarket headers heat coated.

Wiscon_Mark
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
its mostly to keep moisture off...you could always get the headers coated, but I'd still suggest aftermarket.

Sarra
12-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Yeah, aiming for the RalliTek EL header/cat. I may be going back to college soon, which means I won't have a job for a bit, but I think I'll manage to get a new header soon.