PDA

View Full Version : B&M Trickshift fluid

Reason
12-01-2005, 06:11 AM
What do you guys know about this stuff. Is it safe for my Legacy? Should I try it out? My service is WAY over due and it will be hitting the shop for many things, tranny flush is one.

Wiscon_Mark
12-01-2005, 08:07 AM
gonna get a tranny cooler with that? ;)

Reason
12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
gonna get a tranny cooler with that? ;)

Good thinking Mark, I knew we had you around here for some reason. ;-)

BAC5.2
12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Never used it.

ATF is tried pretty hard in a transmission, there are so many jobs that it must do! I almost wish there were water jackets running through the tranny, and an external pump and radiator so the tranny could have it's own miniature cooling system. That'd reduce a lot of the tasks of ATF and probably extend it's life and performance.

That said, give it a shot. Get rid of it the SECOND you notice a negative side effect though. It's cheaper to buy different fluid, than to buy a new transmission (many many people don't understand this. "my 5-speed is grinding" -change fluid - "OK! My 60k is only 5k away, I'll do it then!")

For a general idea, compare all listed facts about the B&M stuff with the OEM Subaru fluid. If it has any value lower than stock, do not use it. If it exceeds stock specs, check to see what it exceeds them for. Sometimes a higher number than stock is a bad thing.

As usual, be sure to post your results with the fluid, either good or bad, so we can all learn something! I'd also suggest searching on google or something, seeing if other forums have covered the fluid (check Nasioc and RS Club for starters). I'd try to narrow it down to the Subaru community, hopefully with a generation transmission that you share, to get the most accurate results. A Honda tranny is way different, lol.

Keep us posted!