PDA

View Full Version : quesition on necessity

ooberdoob
12-05-2005, 12:49 PM
so my struts are done. bumps are so harsh now. at 85,000mi, its about time anyway. let alone the past 22,000 miles of hell i've given them. (wirkin the hell out of em on curvy roads)

how necessesary is it to replace the springs when i replace the struts?

Huffer
12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
how necessesary is it to replace the springs when i replace the struts?

Depends on how much wear they have... typically springs don't wear out like shocks. But I would have taken advantage on the suspension-out availability to change the springs too. New + new = less likely to wear quicker.

Kinda like wearing holey socks with brand new shoes.

BAC5.2
12-06-2005, 02:42 AM
Huffer is a smart man, it'd be wise just to replace the springs too. If nothing else, find someone here who has upgraded springs and purchase their lower-mileage stock springs for cheap.

There really isn't much to wear out on a car spring. It's undamped, so there isn't anything to blow out, and springs are generally designed to resist fatigue under normal operating conditions.

Overloading or overextending the springs will wear the hell out of them PDQ though.

You could go JDM Honda and roll with cut springs to increase spring rate, if you are looking for something stiffer for real cheap....

Of course I don't recommend this, but cutting springs does increase spring rate. It doesn't work well on Honda's because they stick the same springs on the same struts. You need to be able to properly damp the springs for them to be effective.

Wiscon_Mark
12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Get yourself some new springs, for all the reasons listed above.

You probably dont' want to lower the car much, as you'll be moving back up to snow country soon enough...

Reason
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
David, with the shitty streets up here and lack of snow plowing it might be in your best interest to replace springs with the struts. They will work extra hard on these roads trust me. My struts are burnt and they take a beating everyday.

ooberdoob
12-10-2005, 11:30 AM
thanks for the resposes guys, and for the personal input mark and reason.

i don't want much of a drop, maybe an inch or so, i just want it to ride nicer, handle better.

my struts don't cause the car to sway in the lane, nor do they bounce excessively when travelling over dips and such.

it just feels like they slam bumps harder than they used to. i've also got a squeak coming from one of the front ones.

86000mi, thats why i figured its time was coming.

so you guys think maybe i should keep the stockers like so till i totally obliterate them on new england roads, THEN replace?

cause by the sound of them here, i can't imagine what it'll be like in RI.

Wiscon_Mark
12-10-2005, 11:36 AM
For springs, I think you should either do whiteline control springs or OEM GT springs.

Why whiteline? They're the only aftermarket (that I know of) that make springs with wagons in mind. that extra 100lbs or w/e it is does make a difference on ride height and wear on the springs. They'll probably drop you a little bit, but not unbearably low.

OEM? Oem springs are good quality, cheap, built to wagon spec, and they don't drop the car any.

replacing now would be easier (installation wise), but might cost a little more.

GT Wagon
12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
For me it would be like doing tranny work and not replacing the clutch. If you've got it all apart you might as well replace the other consumables in there as well. No point paying 2x for the price of labour.

ooberdoob
12-10-2005, 10:07 PM
well i'd damn sure do it myself

being that reason and mark made me relize about the road, i might as well spend the $, complete the stereo, and just destroy the suspenion guilt free when i get up to RI.

Wiscon_Mark
12-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, I'd still get the KYBs...they'd hold up much better than stock, I think.

scottzg
12-11-2005, 01:03 AM

kyb's are stock.

Wiscon_Mark
12-11-2005, 09:51 AM

kyb's are stock.

GR-2s?

scottzg
12-11-2005, 11:25 AM
same strut, different valving.

ooberdoob
12-11-2005, 09:55 PM
the difference is that the KYBs are a little bit better, like OE+1 kinda thought......

AGX is the real Step-Up.

Huffer
12-12-2005, 12:36 AM
KYB also make some of the earlier STi struts... ;)

BAC5.2
12-12-2005, 12:55 AM
KYB also make some of the earlier STi struts... ;)

Don't they make the current STi struts also?

Huffer
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Not sure mate! They might!

I know Bilstein was in there as manufacturer for awhile too, sometimes Bilstein only did the Legacy, sometimes they did the pink ones.

BAC5.2
12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Not sure mate! They might!

I know Bilstein was in there as manufacturer for awhile too, sometimes Bilstein only did the Legacy, sometimes they did the pink ones.

I know the SPT Adjustable struts were AGX's that were valved slightly more biased for stiffness.

Bilstein definately did the Legacy Spec-B suspension, and they make suspension for Subaru's. As far as OE Manufacturer, who knows.

Guess it's like IHI and Mitsubishi making various turbos for various different models. It all depends on trim level and country of origin.