PDA

View Full Version : Need some speakers

rudgers73
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
My speakers are toast in my car. I don't really value having an over-the-top sound system, I don't need a sub or an amp, I just need some new speakers. I have a standard pioneer MP3 capable CD player I installed a couple of years ago and somehow in the last couple of years my front right and one of my rear speakers has shit the bed and sounds like raspy, staticy, garbage.

I am looking to replace all of the speakers all at once. I believe there are 6 in my car (1 in each door and tweeters on each A pillar). What size do I need, what brands are reliable, and do I need to take off the door panels to install the 4 in the doors?

Again, not looking for anything flashy, expensive, or high performance. I just want speakers that are better then the OEM paper cone, un-loud, can't-hear-them-over-my-exhaust speakers. And I also am willing to pay a bit more for quality.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
the door speakers are 6.5" and yes, you have to take off the door panels (which isnt hard at all)

there's rocksford fasque speakers on ebay that are nice going for around $50ish per pair.. i'd pick those up

Huffer
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I just want speakers that are better then the OEM paper cone, un-loud, can't-hear-them-over-my-exhaust speakers. And I also am willing to pay a bit more for quality.

WRX takeoffs. Check the NASIOC classifieds for part-outs and people upgrading. Go for 03+. Plug n play.

)2edline
07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
If you have a 99 GT, then the rear doors shouldn't have speakers in them unless it's a wagon or something.

Speakers are in the rear deck and are 6.5 as well. Backseat needs to come out as well as the rear deck cover, both cake.

I'm really biased and like Pioneer 3 and 4 way speakers. I picked up pairs for good prices with free shipping from newegg a year or two ago.Take a look around and you'll find something that catches your eye.

07-08-2009, 04:17 AM
heres some 02's

not sure if theyre plug and play tho... rodger?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-subar ... 5fSpeakers (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-subaru-wrx-impreza-OEM-speaker-speakers-STOCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem518ac76026QQitemZ350220673062QQptZCarQ5fSpeakers)

d1giPhux
07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Why are the wrx ones any better than the stock LGT ones? You should just pick up some pioneers for cheap.. they are good speakers.. and can be had used or new from like $35/pair.

Huffer
07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
That auctions' a little rich for me. Buy from a WRX that's being parted or someone upgrading - buy local too, that way you can inspect them.

The greatest advantage of OEM speakers is that they fit in the stock holes with no additional mods. And they're usually pretty cheap. I got mine for $30 for a set of 4. They're also lighter than aftermarkets - they have smaller magnets. They're perfect for someone looking to just have reasonably decent sound, low weight, and low cost. They're also a huge upgrade over the stock speakers with their paper cones and paper tweeters.

*shrug*

d1giPhux
07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Are the WRX ones the same speakers that are in the LGT Limiteds? Because the sound in my car is / was pretty good.. now I'm looking to get some new front speakers as well.. since mine as going / gone. LOL.

So if you just bought some cheap pioneers.. you would have to do something special to mount them? Probably not right?

Huffer
07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
^^ don't know if they are the same, but there's an extremely strong likelihood they are very similar. What matters most about a speaker is the material and the construction - and if that meets your specifications.

I used to run Alpine Type Rs in the fronts, but needed custom spacers to fit the huge magnet. My sound was awesome, body pounding (when I applied some Dynamat Xtreme) but I outgrew that and just wanted clear, tight sounds as a backdrop to my driving experience.

If you just bought some cheap Pioneers you could probably just drop them in and use quick connects to hook everything up. They are probably heavier than the WRX OEM speakers though. Not that it matters to most people. :)

nipper
07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Look at the online dealers and see what they are geting for all 4 speakers. The tweeters dont really need to be replaced. I got a deal at an online delaer for all 4 speakers. Even after adding a power amp (600 watts) and 2 years later they are holding up fine.

nipper

dodik
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
aftermarket speakers are soooooo much better than stock i had the "premium" originally in my h6 2002 and when i through my xplodes in the aft and kenwoods in front it was night and day difference. they are four years old now and still sound amazing and much better than most new cars come stock with. i still have the stock ones in boxes from mine in case i have to switch back to stock lol.

nipper
07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Car speakers are so annoying to buy, as it is all very subjective. i was happy with OE replacements for the price point. i was just going to get them for a stopgap but they arent half bad. i dont like the base to rattle the paint off the car, so they are fine for me.

i didnt mean to stick with them, but heck, they are fine.

nipper

Okin DaVanh
07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Car speakers are so annoying to buy, as it is all very subjective. i was happy with OE replacements for the price point. i was just going to get them for a stopgap but they arent half bad. i dont like the base to rattle the paint off the car, so they are fine for me.

nipper

If it aint broke, don't try to fix it. If your factory sound is ok to you, stick with it. Get some OEM WRX or Legacy or Forester replacements and call it a day. I guess as long as they're not ripped and give you less of a headache installing them... you win.

I've been through an entire Multi-Media system: Alpine Indash monitor/ 7" roof monitor/ 4 channel amp/2channel amp (bridged- 1 ohm)/ 2-10" Solobarics and a ton of .2 and .4 guage wiring.. back down to a factory 6disc WRX in-dash with a bridged 200w amp, 1 10" Solobaric (From 1999 :shock: and still going!) and 4 Alpine's in the doors, and am more satisfied with what I have now than then. Less weight and still get true acoustic surround sound. :smt023

nipper
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM

nipper

If it aint broke, don't try to fix it. If your factory sound is ok to you, stick with it. Get some OEM WRX or Legacy or Forester replacements and call it a day. I guess as long as they're not ripped and give you less of a headache installing them... you win.

I've been through an entire Multi-Media system: Alpine Indash monitor/ 7" roof monitor/ 4 channel amp/2channel amp (bridged- 1 ohm)/ 2-10" Solobarics and a ton of .2 and .4 guage wiring.. back down to a factory 6disc WRX in-dash with a bridged 200w amp, 1 10" Solobaric (From 1999 :shock: and still going!) and 4 Alpine's in the doors, and am more satisfied with what I have now than then. Less weight and still get true acoustic surround sound. :smt023

Don't get me wrong, i have a pioneer head unit with ipod interface, blue tooth, cd player and a pioneer amp. I had to get the amp because the pioneer unit just did not have enough power to drive the speakers. I also have the factory tweeters.

I would like a small subwoofer, but I cant find anything i like that doesnt rob alot of space.

nipper

d1giPhux
07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I just like very basic stuff myself. Ive done the whole sub / crossover / highs, lows.. etc route. Too much hassle.. and really.. if you just get some good speakers and the little under-seat sub.. it sounds pretty sick in the suby. I just wanna get some new speakers myself.. and looking for opinions on what are some good, decent prices cheap 6.5" replacements. I'm sure the OP is also looking for the same. right?

Okin DaVanh
07-09-2009, 07:45 AM
my enclosure is a foot squared, and teh missus still has enough room for shopping bags:)

Heck, i had another hatch and some extras w/ the box and had the seat up w/ the hatch closed.

I have a theory:

Less = more

kinkbmx4407
07-13-2009, 09:02 AM
rockford fosgate punch 6.5
100 bucks
sound is perfect on them