PDA

View Full Version : More Ebay junk? Or undug gold?

Wiscon_Mark
12-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, the ebay intakes aren't junk like most people would suspect...but how about these OBX mufflers that I've been seeing for 60-80 dollars on ebay? Anyone recognize or know anything about them? They don't look like fart cannons...

badbasser98
12-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Are those similar to the DTM type mufflers?

Guess I should go check 'em out...

Wiscon_Mark
12-06-2005, 07:21 PM
They have a bunch of different styles, but I've never seen a fart cannon from them...

strat81
12-06-2005, 08:19 PM
OBX makes fairly decent stuff... alot of cavalier owners run the obx header on their cars and i haven't heard anything bad about them...

Reason
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Are you talking about the muffler that looks like a pretzel Mark? If so you should let Santa know and give us feedback :wink:

Wiscon_Mark
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
That's one of the ones they make. they also make a dual tip and a regular style muffler.

Plays_with_Toys
12-06-2005, 11:16 PM
I've been looking at getting an OBX N1, or similiar 5" glass pack to a 4" tip. ITs similar to Ti_22's bomz muffler, in every shape, and I imagine internals aren't going to be any different. I planned to pick one up shortly after christmas, not for any performance gains, but a little more throat. So if you don't, I will. Just call me the ebay gopher.

Did you ever pick up the intake yourself?

Wiscon_Mark
12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
nope, I don't have paypal yet :?

Plays_with_Toys
12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
nope, I don't have paypal yet :?

Its real easy. I didn't get it until I started a small 'net business. I created two accounts on paypal, linked to two accounts. One can handle credit cards, the other is a basic, so no credit card fees are taken out of transactions.

BAC5.2
12-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Caveat Emptor.

OBX makes some bad shit. Their radiator hoses leak, tear, and suck. Their headers crack and usually leak. Their "front diff's" that try to clone the Quaife are peices of trash.

It's a good bang-for-the-buck product, but it'll fall apart, I'd almost guarantee it.

I AM fairly tempted to buy one of their front diffs though, just so I can see first hand how crappy they are.

I'd seriously reconsider purchasing any of their products. OBX is just like Megan Racing. Sometimes you get lucky, more times than not you get the shaft.

Huffer
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
About the Quaife knockoff diff - who do you know that has tried one?

BAC5.2
12-06-2005, 11:47 PM
No one, that's why I want to try one. I want to blow it up, to prevent people from wasting their money. I'm also curious how well they compare to the Quaife and PPG diffs. They are really crude looking and basically look unfinished.

By far, the best diffs in the world are PPG. They are higher quality than the Quaife, and less money :). I need to get some pictures, but they are incredible! I've only got pics of the outside.

There are pictures floating on Nasioc.

Huffer
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I have to call you on this.

In your previous post you said that the OBX diff was trash - yet you also say that you don't know anyone who HAS one...

???

BAC5.2
12-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Pics.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA3NzY5OTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

When I get to work today, I'll see about opening a PPG diff so you can see a comparison of a REAL diff, and the OBX peice.

If you are asking who I know with a Quaife, I know plenty. We built the transmission for the Element Tuning Time-Attack car, running a quaife front. We've probably installed a dozen Quaife front diffs.

Plays_with_Toys
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Ok, a thing like diff I don't think I'd go budget. Thats asking for trouble, but dang, it ain't that hard to make a glass pack muffler. Cherry bombs are only $20 and I didn't have a single problem with mine on my pickup. Most of these OBX mufflers, and alot of the mufflers like them are simply glass packs with different wrappers.

Atleast at $60 total (cost+shipping) if you are not satisfied with the sound, you're not out $120-140 for an "official" company's muffler. Dang, I want to order one now just to show you its a dang piece of pipe with a few welds and some stuffing. Not much to it, shouldn't be a whole lot to pay for.

Wiscon_Mark
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
and mufflers aren't subjected to the extreme heat the headers are...not as much anyways...even if it does fail, like PWT said, its not a big deal (for most).

BAC5.2
12-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I guess you could always look at it like that.

I don't generally agree. I'm big on quality. You can make a good product, and you can make a bad one. You can cheap out on materials to undercut the competition, but you pay for it in quality.

Quality of baffling material and design play important roles in sound supression and performance. A muffler does actually play a performance role. To little baffling, with to large of holes in the pipe, will increase turbulence and slow exhaust gas flow (reducing performance).

Of course, it's possible that they simply welded a generic glasspak into a metal cannister and charged you triple the amount for it.

OBX, in general, is a low quality knockoff company. You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor. That's all I've got to say :)

SubiFlow
12-08-2005, 11:05 AM
i'm putting a flowmaster on the car as soon as i get it in, aluminized 16ga. i'll let you know how that works.

Wiscon_Mark
12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
40 series is LOUD. i hope you don't get pulled over if it is 40 series :shock:

SubiFlow
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
50 series delta flow, 40 series is loud but not that loud.

EXP1787
12-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Just go Magnaflow and get it over with.

badbasser98
12-12-2005, 06:19 PM
40 series is LOUD. i hope you don't get pulled over if it is 40 series :shock:

Haha, that's what I had planned for my car... a custom cat-back ended with a FlowMaster 40 8)

If anyone has a 40 on the car, could you get me a sound clip before spring (when I am doing the exhaust work)

Thanks,
-BB98

Plays_with_Toys
12-12-2005, 09:10 PM
I just found these. I am a huge fan of the N1 style mufflers (since the few I have seen installed on subies look awesome).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98 ... otohosting (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-00-HONDA-CIVIC-Si-EX-DX-N1-MUFFLER-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ8021991396QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting)

The welds looks real clean, along with the rest of the edges/steel. Cleaner than most of the others I have seen and a cheap price. Good welds are hard to make, so I would think this is one way to look at the quality. What are all y'all's thoughts?

EXP1787
12-12-2005, 09:29 PM
What are all y'all's thoughts?
Read my post above.

Plays_with_Toys
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
What are all y'all's thoughts?
Read my post above.

Read my quote from even higher up. :lol: The money one.

Wiscon_Mark
12-12-2005, 10:49 PM
hope it doesn't sound like a typical fartcan....

SubiFlow
12-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Looks like a fart can, sure is purty. the flowmaster website has sound clips.

Plays_with_Toys
12-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Thought I'd let you know, after further reading on nasioc I am going to be purchasing an OBX muffler. From what I've read, most people who own an OBX product have reported no problems in the craftsmanship and love the sound. Those that have never owned and only speculate are the ones usually carping and moaning. I've read the OBX's have better resistance to cracking and rusting than stromoung and borla products (supposedly the shiznit). There is no one who complains about magnaflows, however, I'm taking the $60 I am saving on the purchase, and putting it towards the fab. costs of the catback. As always, I'll post my results.

happy tuning!

Reason
12-21-2005, 04:02 AM
I've read the OBX's have better resistance to cracking and rusting than stromoung and borla products

So where have you read this? I have OBX products on my CRX, trust me I wouldn't put that crap on my Legacy.

I can tell you first hand the OBX exhaust parts rust like a bitch.