PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Legacy GT Turbo failure

t2768
07-11-2009, 07:58 AM
I've got a 2005 Legacy GT Limited that I bought new. I love this car, its got 77k on it now. The only problem is that I have gone through 2 turbos under warranty in the last year. The first went at 56k. Dealer replaced it, then at 64k the next one went. I could never get the dealer to come clean on what happened to the 2nd one, but my suspicion is they didn't replace or clean both banjo bolt screens and there may have still been some issues from the first one. I guess I'm looking for help as to any mods that you guys have done to help make it easier to check this. I plan on starting to check it myself, but it sure does seem like a pain to get to.

Also does anyone have a good recommendation for another turbo that may not have this design that would work on my car? I'm a bit worried about Subaru's approach which is" just make sure you change your oil every 3750 miles and you should have no problem. The problem with this is I have changed it every 4k miles since new. I don't think 250 extra miles is going to do this.

I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.

JT :smt006

2005 Legacy GT Limited
1971 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds

rougeben83
07-15-2009, 12:44 AM
I've got a 2005 Legacy GT Limited that I bought new. I love this car, its got 77k on it now. The only problem is that I have gone through 2 turbos under warranty in the last year. The first went at 56k. Dealer replaced it, then at 64k the next one went. I could never get the dealer to come clean on what happened to the 2nd one, but my suspicion is they didn't replace or clean both banjo bolt screens and there may have still been some issues from the first one. I guess I'm looking for help as to any mods that you guys have done to help make it easier to check this. I plan on starting to check it myself, but it sure does seem like a pain to get to.

Also does anyone have a good recommendation for another turbo that may not have this design that would work on my car? I'm a bit worried about Subaru's approach which is" just make sure you change your oil every 3750 miles and you should have no problem. The problem with this is I have changed it every 4k miles since new. I don't think 250 extra miles is going to do this.

I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.

JT :smt006

2005 Legacy GT Limited
1971 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds

The only other OEM turbo that would be an upgrade for your car is the 08/09 sti turbo (vf48), it has the same flange for the compressor outlet as your car...also, I think the oil screens are supposed to be removed per subaru, at least according to their tsb on their older cars. They found oil starvation from clogged screens as well and just chose to forgo it completely...

SilentRacer
07-15-2009, 11:02 AM
There are two main problems for why that happens. Oil starvation and the uppipe.
There is a precat on the uppipe that starts to disintegrate after a while. Pieces of it will fall into the turbo and damage it. There's even been cases where the sensor on there breaks off and falls into the turbo. Change the uppipe.