PDA

View Full Version : Little pops and gurgles

pdawg
12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I am running Cobb headers, high flow cat and stomburg cat back on my 2000 LGT. It sound really good under accelleration, but every now and then when I am cruising with no real demand on the engine I get small pops out of the muffler. Is this normal? It doesn't bother me unless it a sign of something else that needs to be taken care of.

strat81
12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
pops are usually just a little bit of unburned fuel in the exhaust gases that is heated enough to combust while flowing down the exhaust... not really anything to worry about.

if you want to get rid of it, you can add a resonator to your exhaust and that should smooth things right out.

Wiscon_Mark
12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
hmmm...

do you notice any feel through the throttle? Like a loss in power or anything like that?

Any rattles?

I don't know off the top of my head, but I can help you get closer, hopefully...

Sarra
12-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak. Do you ever get exhaust in the cabin while idling at a stop light?

If it pops when you do a hard shift at redline or when using engine braking, it's probably an exhaust leak.

If you removed the resonator from your exhaust, you're going to have to live with the burble and pop from now on, because the resonator is used to dampen those pops and gurgling from the exhaust.

pdawg
12-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys,
I don't have a resonator and I am not getting any exhaust fumes in the cabin so I am going with the under burned gas. I can live with it. Its doesn't bother me now that I know what it is. I had a feeling it had something to do with the resonator being deleted. Its a small price to pay for the excileration when I step on the throttle.

Wiscon_Mark
12-08-2005, 09:13 AM
you could get a resonator for cheap (magnaflow does a good job) but you'd have to get it welded in :?

BAC5.2
12-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Unburned fuel hitting a hot cat.

That causes 99% of afterfires in cars. Cat's get hot, really hot, and there is never 100% combustion of all fuel that enters the engine.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you hear the pops anywhere but at the rear of the car, like near the front, then you have an exhaust leak for sure.

At the rear, no big deal. Resonators definately help reduce the popping, and help arrest flames too.

Sarra
12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys,
I don't have a resonator and I am not getting any exhaust fumes in the cabin so I am going with the under burned gas. I can live with it. Its doesn't bother me now that I know what it is. I had a feeling it had something to do with the resonator being deleted. Its a small price to pay for the excileration when I step on the throttle.

Can you get a soundclip? I know a Honduh without a resonator and a fart cannon is insanly loud, but how is a Subie without the resonator? Been thinking about doing this myself, if it isn't that loud.

pdawg
12-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Here is a short clip. Haven't gotten around to anymore yet, Sorry Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=m_thjnBsxhE

Huffer
12-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Can you get a soundclip? I know a Honduh without a resonator and a fart cannon is insanly loud, but how is a Subie without the resonator? Been thinking about doing this myself, if it isn't that loud.

It's not totally about the volume, it's about the resonant frequencies that the exhaust waves produce as they bounce/pulse down the pipes.

Wiscon_Mark
12-09-2005, 10:22 AM
resonator can equal lower, smoother tone