PDA

View Full Version : Snorkusectomy?

Superu264
12-10-2005, 04:53 PM
What does taking out that damn snorkel actually do? I have an as-stock-as-possible Legacy L and I just want to know if taking it out will do anything for me.

badbasser98
12-10-2005, 05:09 PM
make it loud :twisted: ... VERY little if any performance gain. and it hums (softly) at idle :wink:

Huffer
12-10-2005, 07:07 PM
It means when the intake sucks in air under load, it doesn't have to pass through a stinkload of small boxes.

Try sucking through straws of different diameters for a real-world comparison.

Wiscon_Mark
12-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I would think that the snorkusectomy makes a bigger difference if you get a panel filter to go with, but it does give some gain, IMHO.

But mostly, it adds a ton to your exhaust note :twisted:

Superu264
12-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Hmm.. either way Ill do it, Ill take any advantage I can get at this point.

One more question though, do I basically just rip it all out and Im done or is there more to it?

Wiscon_Mark
12-10-2005, 08:54 PM
you want to have a 90 degree 2" PVC elbow to put in the airbox so you can extend the intake into the fender.

voorhees
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
please point me to DIY on this MArk

MitchGT
12-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Here's mine:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/12/DSCN0754-1.jpg

Wiscon_Mark
12-10-2005, 10:39 PM
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3411

Look for post #12 by Pwise2326

It has a bunch of links for various writeups concerning custom CAIs (including doing the snorkusectomy)

ooberdoob
12-11-2005, 12:00 AM
3" marky mark

well thats what my elbow is.

Wiscon_Mark
12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
3" marky mark

well thats what my elbow is.

3"? You must've hollowed out the airbox hole

I'm using a 2" elbow

the stock piping between the airbox and the TB is about 2.5"

scottzg
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
beh? I'm confused by this thread.

Snorkusuctomy you just take out the pass side fender liner, pull out the plastic doohickey, and put the liner back. You don't need to add a piece of pvc, the airbox still draws from the fender. It makes your INTAKE noisier, and i suspect that it provides all the gains an ebay intake + a bc/bf intake pipe does.

It's easy and reversible, might as well give it a shot.

IMHO a different airfilter isn't gonna do anything.

MitchGT
12-11-2005, 01:49 AM
beh? I'm confused by this thread.

Snorkusuctomy you just take out the pass side fender liner, pull out the plastic doohickey, and put the liner back. You don't need to add a piece of pvc, the airbox still draws from the fender. It makes your INTAKE noisier, and i suspect that it provides all the gains an ebay intake + a bc/bf intake pipe does.

It's easy and reversible, might as well give it a shot.

IMHO a different airfilter isn't gonna do anything.

Depends on the car. On the BE's there isn't anything actually inside the fender.

scottzg
12-11-2005, 11:24 AM
BE intake is really different, and seeing how he has a 95, not very relevent.

MitchGT
12-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Forgive me for clogging this thread with irrelevant material.

ooberdoob
12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
yes i took that white piece out, and crammed a 3" elbow in there so it'd really suck from the fender, and then i planned on sealing the hole as i DO have the subaru plug for the front hole, but never did it. i'm ordering the ebay intake next week.

and no, the snorkusectomy alone will not provide the same gains as the ebay intake, because all it does is take out whats in the fender, not the dildo looking objects from the box to the throttle body.

Huffer
12-12-2005, 12:35 AM
www.diyms.org.nz (http://www.diyms.org.nz)

check out the CAI intake mods on the turbo'd GT's there... they use bellmouth flanged ends to smooth out the intake.

Gains were noticeable, and dyno proven (rolling road, not hub dyno).

d1giPhux
01-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Bringing this thread back from the dead! :evil:

Got a few questions though. I bought a short ram intake off Reason.. and now im looking for some way to get colder air into this beast. I know you can hook it up to the stock airbox and such.. but i want to keep the filter i have on it now. How could i go about getting the filter into the fender, and getting some colder air...

or does anyone else have any pictures / ideas / DIY's for the BD series?

Thanks a ton!

a pic of what my engine bay looks like right now :

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/02/subaruww4-1.jpg

Sarra
01-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead! :evil:

Got a few questions though. I bought a short ram intake off Reason.. and now im looking for some way to get colder air into this beast. I know you can hook it up to the stock airbox and such.. but i want to keep the filter i have on it now. How could i go about getting the filter into the fender, and getting some colder air...

or does anyone else have any pictures / ideas / DIY's for the BD series?

Thanks a ton!

a pic of what my engine bay looks like right now :

[3mg]http://www.designlabx.com/subaru/LGT/winterwash/subaruww4.jpg[/img]

Heh, it looks like you left part of the stock intake right above the right side headlight... You might want to remove that. :p

The 2000+ Legacies have all of the vaccume hoses coming into the air filter box. The 1999 and older Legacies had the Airbox right over the fender... Anyway, just pull the snorkus. I would suggest NOT pulling the snorkus if you don't have the fender liner, though, you will pull dirt, water, and all kinds of junk into the intake. :( If you still have it, just pull the stupid snorkus. ;)