PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for the guys with JDM EJ25s

1996Battlewagon
08-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Do your valve covers have bolts in the center where the spark plug wires go?

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/08/14sgvpw-1.jpg

evolegacy
08-16-2009, 02:19 PM
yes, in japan the wire looms had the option to be screwed in with retaining bolts to keep them sealed in case of oil leaks

1996Battlewagon
08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the response evolegacy; I knew it would be you to respond! :wink:

I can't for the life of me remember pulling those bolts. We can't find four that are the right size and there were only six bolts in my bucket I used to store the valve cover bolts. Also, we tried using some other bolts, but they are too "tall" for the spark plug wires. Any suggestions?

Huffer
08-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Err, you don't need them. They were only used to hold the looms to the block. Unless the hole goes right into the block and is exposed at the other end (can't think why), you don't need to put anything in there.

But if you want to, I'd just put some JB weld in there, get a "mold" of the interior, take that to Lowes and find a matching bolt, then install them with some Loctite.

evolegacy
08-16-2009, 06:28 PM
i didnt bother trying to screw anything into those holes to keep the looms in place, i picked up NGK 8mm wires and they have a small nipple that you press into those holes to keep them somewhat stable

ouch1011
08-29-2009, 03:58 AM
I would imagine that the coils probably bolted down there on the turbo models with COP

massdrewski
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
If you really want to stay with the stock experience. Check out the New Zeland JDM parts thread. I'm sure he could send you some.

boxingfanatic
09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
bought the same motor for my 98 legacy outback wagon.,,,,, why is the valve cover different than our USDM.... when i installed the sparkplug wires, it doesnt cover the whole area... would that be ok? and what motor was that from? Forester?

boxingfanatic
09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
does anyone know what size for that EGR TAP? im about to drill a hole but not sure what size... another question, im thinking of eliminating my EGR crap but i would assume that i would have an ECU code if i unplugged it, did anyone attempt to remove it and bypass the ecu code if i remove the EGR crap

evolegacy
09-19-2009, 01:45 AM
does anyone know what size for that EGR TAP? im about to drill a hole but not sure what size... another question, im thinking of eliminating my EGR crap but i would assume that i would have an ECU code if i unplugged it, did anyone attempt to remove it and bypass the ecu code if i remove the EGR crap

PM decke48, he knows the exact size you need for the tap and drill bit.