PDA

View Full Version : '94 Legacy wobbles & pulls left?

Legacy-Version94
12-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, had my car for only like a week now and already had lots of fun with it... mostly on the gravel and dirt roads around my house. Well, here is a new problem that has surfaced with my wagon. the steering wheel shakes back and forth and the car wobbles at speed, reguardless if i am slowing down or accelerating. I believe my drivers side tierod is dead... any one have any other ideas as to what it could be? Also, where is a good place to buy older Legacy parts... besides the obvious junkyard answer?

Plays_with_Toys
12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Bent wheel too maybe? Does it vary with speed?

Legacy-Version94
12-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Bent wheel too maybe? Does it vary with speed?
ooooh, didnt think of that... may need a new steelie then? it goes away slightly at speed, but it is still noticable.

Plays_with_Toys
12-18-2005, 12:26 AM
easy to figure out if its a bent wheel. Rotate your tires and see if the problem goes away/ goes to a bumpy rear.

shazapple
12-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Try to clean out the rims. Could have mud or snow or whatever stuck and affecting the balance.

Legacy-Version94
12-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Try to clean out the rims. Could have mud or snow or whatever stuck and affecting the balance.
thats another thing i was thinking, because ive been going down some muddy roads and sliding around on them. if cleaning them doesnt help, then i will rotate the tires and see if it goes to the rear. thanks, will keep everyone posted. :-D

Wiscon_Mark
12-18-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah, I get snow in between my wheels and brakes and it gets a little wobbly/bumpy...it goes away after I knock the excess snow out :)

Legacy-Version94
12-18-2005, 12:29 PM
well, i cleaned out the rims... ...man, they were muddy!! :lol: Anywho, the wobbling went away a tad, but it is still there... plus there is a clanking noise when i do slow speed turns. but, its still driveable, so im not too worried. Gravel/dirt roads here i come... untill i break something else. :D

strat81
12-18-2005, 02:39 PM
you may have thrown a wheel weight... get the wheels balanced...

and is the noise a clunk or a clicking when you turn? if it's clicking, you may have a cv joint on it's way out.

badbasser98
12-18-2005, 03:31 PM
may also want to check and see how bad your rotors are.. if they are warped, you can experience the same thing, but gets 80x's worse when you hit the brakes... If that doesn't happen, then I would definetly look into the bent/unballenced wheel. as far as the knocking, loose shock/strut?

-BB98

Plays_with_Toys
12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Slow speed clank? reach around and see if your CV boots are torn. If they are, and you've been doing offroading, you've been shooting out grease and replacing it with mud. If they are fine, your axles are probably fine and its something else.

Legacy-Version94
12-18-2005, 07:37 PM
well, my passenger side axle was gone. went for a test drive after i rotated the tires and cleaned the rims and didnt make it far. Starting clanking really loudly and then would not move. if you tried to put it into gear it would just grind because my pass. side axle was out. so we pushed it home and took off the pass. side wheel and yep, the axle is destroyed, pieces falling out!! :lol: So i went to Advanced Auto and picked up a new axle for $90, but ill get $35 back when i return the old axle as a core charge. installing the new axle took about 2 hours. thanks for all the help.

galek_98gt
12-18-2005, 09:09 PM
well, i cleaned out the rims... ...man, they were muddy!! :lol: Anywho, the wobbling went away a tad, but it is still there... plus there is a clanking noise when i do slow speed turns. but, its still driveable, so im not too worried. Gravel/dirt roads here i come... untill i break something else. :D

if you have ABS check the ring gap from the sensor. i had this problem after replacing the wheel bearings.