PDA

View Full Version : EJ20R won't fire, help?

72RSbug
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
This is the situation:

Got an 1996 EJ20TT with a 4 plug ECU in a VW bug, all is fine until part of the main loom gets melted against the secondary turbo and the ECU is dead.

Then I replaced the main loom with one from another EJ20R but this one has a 3 plug ECU.

When I trie, it starts up first go but engine stops after about 15 seconds because the ECU isn't powering the fuel pump relay.

Next few times I try to start it up the spark plugs are soaking wet in fuel, when I clean them the engine will start up a few times but same story as before.

When I power the fuel pump directly instead of letting the ECU do it, no change.

The when cranking, a small puff of smoke comes up from the engine around the knock sensor area and there's a smell of something burned.

After that happened the spark plugs do not fire when I test them separately outside of the engine when cranking.

Any EJ20R guru's out there that might have an idea?

I'm trying to get hold of new crank and cam sensors and also new coils but it's not easy since I live in Belgium.

Is there a way to test if the coil packs are working or not (they have 3 wires each so I'm not sure where to put 12V or ground on them).

Sorry for the long post but I really don't know why it won't start up and I can't take it to a garage over here.

anothernord
09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
The coil packs should have some resistance that you can test with an ohm meter. If you aren't getting resistance in the coils, it means they have a short in them. But It doesn't sound like a coil pack issue if it runs fine and then dies.

subba
09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
^^^^EJ20R's dont use coilpacks

I think the 3Plug ECU's are MT and the 4 Is Auto dont quote me on that but i can check when i get home.

Huffer
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
72RSBug - try PMing Reuben as he may know more...