PDA

View Full Version : Inside my blown tranny....

BAC5.2
12-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I couldn't wait, so I opened her up in my garage....

Here's what I got.

2 and a half teeth broken off of the input side of second gear.

Otherwise, everything looked perfect. The ring balk's all looked almost brand new, and everything looked OK. I didn't drive it after it blew, so nothing more got damaged. In fact, I could probably replace the input shaft and it would be a "limpable" transmission.

Here's the pics.

http://www.thawa.net/bac52/Blown%20Tranny/2nd%20gear1.jpg

http://www.thawa.net/bac52/Blown%20Tranny/Whole%20Box.jpg

I'll do a write up for the Drivetrain forum on how it all works and what is going on at what time. A good FYI for those of you who want to know more about what happens when you slide the shifter into gear. I may also include a short video of the more complicated things.

Enjoy!

Phil

belladonna
12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
yes, definately post something up...

Wiscon_Mark
12-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Those kinda pictures are cool :D

More info would be great, I always try to learn as much as I can :)

kfy1232
12-28-2005, 09:17 PM
hey man those are some good pics. i know some stuff about trannys so i got a couple of questions for ya. first, what car is this out of? 2nd, you're saying that the teeth broke off on 2nd gear fixed on the input shaft, so judging from the pics i assume that is reverse gear to its right and 1st gear to its right? and then on its left is 5th gear, synchro, 4th gear, 3rd gear and synchro at the end? please tell me which gear is which because i've worked on trannys before and always had some trouble figuring out which gear is which and how they are related in size. i know that 1st & 2nd is always small to big and 3rd, 4th & 5th usually similar in size but in this pic it looks like 3 of the gears (not including reverse) have small to big ratios which confuses me a little. anyway as for the damage, was anything on the output shaft damaged? last question: so if you replace the input shaft you would have to swap all the gears and synchros over to the new one? that would suck i've had shitty luck with synchros before with all the balls falling out anyway thats a whole other story

Wiscon_Mark
12-28-2005, 10:31 PM
that's out of a Legacy SS