PDA

View Full Version : How important is story in a game to you?

ryu_haneda
09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Are you a fan of stories in games? Does story mean absolutely nothing, or can you not play a game where story pulls you in?

I am a fan of story in games. Half Life is a good example of story. But the story in old games like the Marathon Trilogy blows me away. What other games have you played that really had memorable stories?

00legacy
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I saw your thread title and was immediately going to say Halflife until I read your post. There was an RPG for the Sega CD that I played when I was a teenager called "Lunar: The Silver Star" that was pretty awesome. I remember getting so addicted to the story line I played for 36 hours straight (it was the middle of winter in Montana, nothing else to do). I also remember "Strider" for the Sega Genesis had a great story line too. "Fallout 3" comes to mind too, as well as maybe "Deadspace". I find that most games have a pretty predictable story line, I think its the realism and of that story line and how well you can relate to it is what makes a great storyline. Same thing goes for movies and TV.

Airgne
09-28-2009, 01:18 AM
2 game i love the story in are starcraft and gears of war. i like the werid ass stories.

Huffer
09-28-2009, 12:34 PM
The story is #1 for me. I will deal with a funky interface and crappy graphics if the game has involving characters and a well conceived plotline.

No amount of technology demo-grade graphics will make up for a decent storyline. Just look at Star Ocean:Last Hope for that. Gorgeous graphics, great controls but sucky characters. I'm only playing it because I'm a completionist and I got it for free.

95USsubaru
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
straying away from things like the zelda/mario/sonic/halo/etc. lol hell even things as childish as poke'mon. the story always makes the game a hell of alot better. look at assassins creed. dumb ass plot, but good story and overall made for a pretty ok game. i mean with sport games that try to throw in a story (blitz the league, NBA street, skate & tony hawks) they can either end up well...or....making you throw ur controller thru the wall. but over all for the game, the story is deff one of the most important parts, if not THEE most important.

ryu_haneda
09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
All I know is, I was online and reading up on the Marathon trilogy, a series of first-person shooter games in the mid 90s for the Mac platform. I mean, the storyline sounds like it's a cool deal in Marathon and Marathon 2: Durandal, but Marathon Infinity (the third game) has a storyline and completion that blows me away.

And the ending is flat out amazing. Bear in mind this game made it with the graphics it had and TEXT READOUTS. (I wonder if all of us need to take a lesson on how games used to be made, or if people need to start paying attention to indie game developers.)

Huffer
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Want a great story + great game?

Try System Shock for the PC. or DEUS Ex.

ryu_haneda
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Haven't played Deus Ex yet, but System Shock was a good storyline for sure. Don't think the game would be the same without it.

anothernord
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
The storyline is what makes a game great in my opinion, but to make it last, a good multiplayer is a must. For example, I personally though the campaigns on all the Halo series of games were amazing. Like blow-my mind incredible. ODST lacked the epic forerunner battle scenes that the trilogy had, but was still amazing in and of itself. Oblivion is also amazing. Seriously, it is a must-own game for the 360.

badbasser98
10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Unreal was my first 'real' gaming experience. In its time it was the best 3D FPS around, graphics, sound, etc. I also found the story and game play to be quite addicting. The fact that I was running it on a 333 Celeron with 64MB of RAM and an integrated graphics controller says a lot about its age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal

You may be more familiar with the spin off series that was started by the multiplayer bot-match in the game. The spin off was called Unreal Tournament and was a completely multiplayer deathmatch style game with little to no story. Just blast everything you see.

95USsubaru
10-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Descent-1,2,3,freespace, and freespace 2. myst. journeyman 1 & 2. there are others but for the life of me i cant remember em.

evolegacy
10-05-2009, 03:23 AM
storyline is what makes a game really good in my opinion

its good to see another user that likes the games that i do, Decent and Freespace series are nice, love the myst/riven series (although URU was a failure i still play that), etc etc etc

The storyline for the half life series is emersive, especially if you play opposing force and blue shift from the H1 storyline, cant wait for Ep 3 of the H2 series, been loving it so much, actually just talking about it now is making me want to play thru both series again.

lately i've noticed though is that games have been lacking in storylines, and focusing more on game playability and epic graphics.I know im gonna be dating myself on this one but you cant beat the original metroid series' storyline, from the original back on the NES to metroid 2 and 3 for the Gameboy, Super Metroid on the SNES, and lastly Metroid Fusion for the GBA, one epic storyline.

badbasser98
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Decent 2 was a lot of fun, though I must admit that I never played it from the beginning. Nor have I played Decent 1, or any of the rest. The game play was fun. I mostly remember hunting for the trapped miners and chasing down the damn thief bot after it stole my gauss cannon or my spot light :mad:

95USsubaru
10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
chasing down the damn thief bot after it stole my gauss cannon or my spot light :mad:

i hated that damn thing!!! haha

Huffer
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Descent-1,2,3,freespace, and freespace 2. myst. journeyman 1 & 2. there are others but for the life of me i cant remember em.

Freespace was great - just a bit buggy. Descent had a revolutionary game engine, but no real story to speak of. Multiplayer was fun.

Myst = PITA for even Zork gamers. :lol:

evolegacy
10-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Myst = PITA for even Zork gamers. :lol:

agreed, what you think was the hardest of the series?