PDA

View Full Version : ej22t exhaust/intake options

theboyo19
09-29-2009, 11:33 AM
i just got my hands on my donor a 92 leg sport with the ej22t. its got over 219xxx on it it runs like a champ ( i will be putting new seals in it before it goes over to my 95 but my questions are this.
- the exhaust looks awful. the bolts are going to break when i go to swap it and id rather put something better than stock on. whos running what? im not sure what wil bolt up as this is my only subaru turbo car. i assume most headers/ up pipes/ downpipes will work?
-also whats a good idea for air intake. this model did not have an intercooler. i had planned on doing this and investigating my turbo to see if its still Aok after 219xxx lol. it has NOTHING done to it right now still has all the plastic intake piping in all its weather beaten glory...

any tips would be really helpful as im very interested in getting this thing going. thanks

Bdubs
09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Any DP from an 02-07 wrx or STi will work. A great upgrade to the restrictive stock one. You will, however, have to relocate the 02 sensor bung. The 02 sensor for the Legacy is near the firewall in the engine compartment, while on the wrx, the second 02 bung is located before the Cat. Plug that hole up with a bolt, and seal it, and drill a hole for a new 02 bung to be welded in, and you will be all set.

For exhausts, your best bet would be to get an STi muffler or an SPT muffler, and have a shop fabricate something from the DP to the muffler and integrate a HF cat in there.

Not sure how bad your up pipe looks like, but same scenario for that, they are all interchangeable throughout the years. There are no UPGRADES for up pipes/headers, the stock ones work just fine, but if they are rusted out, you would want to replace them.

As far as intercooling the stock turbo, it's a great idea. You can plumb up an 06/07 wrx stock intercooler with some few modifications within the engine bay to get everything to fit. Obviously, nothing is plug and play, it's all basically fabricate it yourself, and brainstorming. I don't know about you, but that is what makes the car so fun to work on. Finding new interesting things to work into the car always keeps me busy.

You will have double the fun, fitting a 1st gen. engine into a 2nd gen car, while interchanging multiple year wrx parts. :razz:

mexicanzero
09-30-2009, 11:01 PM
for the intake remove the "snorkus" stuff in the fender (you'll know what mean once you peal the fender liner away.
the resonator after the air filter box can be replaced with a 2.5-3" exhaust reducer with a few nipples screwed and jb welded on (called the coffee cup mod since some people use coffee cups) and then cut out the intake hole in the air box bigger and that a really good cheap upgrade form stock.

for the exhaust as stated pretty much any wrx stuff will work including manifolds and up pipes which are bolt ons. if you get a wrx or sti exhaust (cheap turbo back 3" stuff on ebay works really well) you will just have to extend the mid pipe some thing like 6 inches. and weld on a new o2 bung if there isnt one at the top of the downpipe. then stick a high flow cat on if you need one.

i hiiigghly recommend once the engine is out to do a turbo swap to a wrx td-04 (can be had for 70-140$) slightly better flowing with much better top end and muuch much newer so it'll last. and with the td-04 the wrx tmic (06 or 07) is a breeze to install... while with the stock vf-11 its a pain in the ass... i would know beleive me do the turbo swap with the engine out and save yourself the hassle of fitting the intercooler to the vf-11 and then having it blow a few miles down the road. you'll be good for 12 psi or so (which is where you hit fuel cut) with this set up. good idea to get a walbro fuel pump too at this point just in case.

then get the revtronix chip (http://www.revtronix.com) along with a jecs maf and bigger injectors and you can run 17psi safely which will make your car as fast or slightly faster than a stock wrx.

make sure your suspension is a bit done up too as this will be a bit much for stock suspension.

but before any of this go to http://bbs.legacycentral.org/index.php a forum dedicated to 1st gen legacys. everything i've described and muuuch much much much more will be there in greater detail. i'm known as mexicanzero on there as well and frequent it more than here due to it tailoring specifically to my car.

p.s. i've done all this stuff to my 92 legacy turbo and have been running it for a while now with great success. so dont be shy to ask questions.

hope i havent gone overboard lol

-Alex

theboyo19
10-01-2009, 12:30 AM
cool beans. thats all stuff i was thinking of doing. td04, walbro, and some easy exhaust changes to start.
Bdubs- oh yea fabricating stuff to make it your own baby is the best part of working on your own stuff.
-mexicanzero- i do have some suspension done to the car. eibach ground control kit with wrx struts i loved it till my NA decided to take a dump on my way to class :smt013
one more question.. i read on this forum that you dont have to swap the ecu? i dont remember who it was but someone was talking about using the stock 22NA ecu and using a piggyback to controll fuel delivery? is this a good idea/ work reliably?
thanks for the tips!!