PDA

View Full Version : Legacy BE/BH fuel filter(s)?

danci1973
10-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi,

sorry if this has been discussed before, but the search doesn't accept 'fuel' and 'filter' keywords. :roll:

I was going to replace the fuel filter as it was due about 50000km ago - but it turns out the only Subaru dealer in town has virtually no Subaru parts on stock. So I was going to get an aftermarket part - but again, no luck.

Now I'm going to order, but as I was checking the Subaru Fast2 for part numbers I found two fuel filters:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/10/fuelfilterSFast2-1.jpg

One part number is 42072AA120 (42072*A on the illustration) and is mounted on 'pump assembly - fuel', the other is 42072AE000 (42072*B) and is mounted on 'level sensor sub'. The service manual only has instructions to replace the one on the fuel pump.

Should the 'level sensor sub' filter also be replaced as part of the maintenance?

D.

dodik
10-13-2009, 08:31 AM
thats strange i have a fuel filter under my hood and i replace that one every 10k miles.

danci1973
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
thats strange i have a fuel filter under my hood and i replace that one every 10k miles.
Could you take a pic of the filter and it's position under the hood?

My previous Legacy (a 2.0 BG) also had a filter under the hood, but I was unable to find it on the BH. The service manual also show just the one in the tank...

D.

Huffer
10-13-2009, 10:13 AM
BH/BE's are supposed to have them in tank - there are a couple of mushroomy looking things in the engine bay where the fuel filters are on the BD/BG.

rougeben83
10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
BH/BE's are supposed to have them in tank - there are a couple of mushroomy looking things in the engine bay where the fuel filters are on the BD/BG.

Nope, still have the filters under the hood...

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2007/10/P1080044-1.jpg

Silver cylinder with 2 hoses coming out of it, right behind and to the left of the washer fluid tank.

danci1973
10-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Silver cylinder with 2 hoses coming out of it, right behind and to the left of the washer fluid tank.
No such thing under my hood.

Then again - your engine bay looks A LOT different from mine. Is there a turbo under there somewhere??

D.

rougeben83
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM

No such thing under my hood.

Then again - your engine bay looks A LOT different from mine. Is there a turbo under there somewhere??

D.

yes, its a wrx engine, but the fuel filter was kept in the stock location. I realize youre in Europe what year do you have? The 04 subaru's switched to the tank fuel filter in the US, but our market is usually a couple of years later than other markets (Japan and Australia come to mind).

danci1973
10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
yes, its a wrx engine, but the fuel filter was kept in the stock location. I realize youre in Europe what year do you have? The 04 subaru's switched to the tank fuel filter in the US, but our market is usually a couple of years later than other markets (Japan and Australia come to mind).
Mine is a '99 BH with a EJ251 engine. According to a 1998-2003 Legacy/Liberty service manual all BE/BH models have in-tank fuel filters.

I ordered the filter and accompanying gaskets today and the parts guy knew about the in-tank filter, so I guess I'll be fine.

Thanks, D.

rougeben83
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
well its' going to be just about the same as replacing the fuel pump since the filter is on the assembly. Just wait a few hours or overnight to remove the fuel connections; you'll still have some gas leak out (rag would be helpful to contain the mess) but it won't be as bad as on a pressurized system. Removing the back seat, take the headrests out first, pull up on the seatback and you should be able to get it out. The seat bottom has a couple of 14mm (or 12mm, I forgot) bolts on the front, holding it to the car.