PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting the new tranny in!

legacy92ej22t
12-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Or at least I'm starting the work. I had to come in and warm the bones quick though and thought I'd post up.

I have the car up, TBE removed, TMIC removed, shifter undone in the interior, front axles removed (undone from tranny) and I just drained the gear oil.......stanky.

I could actually see small metal fragments coming out in the gear oil as it drained. All the pieces were very small and seemed to go into my oil drain can. I'm going to try and get a picture if there's any on the oil can that can be seen.

Working on cars is sure a lot more fun when you have some of your buddies around to help and talk to. I'm cold and bored out there all by my lonesome. Anyone in the area feel free to swing by and keep me company!

I'm out!

legacy92ej22t
12-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I just got the driveshaft dropped, took out the starter and undid the clutch actuator.

1st hiccup though, I went to undo the stupid little plastic nut thing on the speedometer cable and it snapped right off. Now I can't get the cable out. Any suggestions?

Oh and I had fotgot that the drain plug on the tranny was magnetic, holy hell there was a crap load of metal on it!

Pics coming soon.

scottzg
12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
sweet, congratulations.

I'd sooo be there if i wasnt on the wrong coast... I'm fkn bored.

belladonna
12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
you should have let me know matt. spence and i would have been interested in helping you out :)

strat81
12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
i'm curious to see that thing run when you can actually grab gears quickly.

i remember watching you take off this summer down town and you had to baby the shifts...

legacy92ej22t
01-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Thanks Jess. :)

Yeah, I had to, and probably still will have to, watch my shifts a bit.

The tranny I'm putting in is still an OEM tranny and with the power I'm producing, I have to be real careful. It also has unknown mileage but the guy I got it from ( Mike from Innovative Tuning) said the second gear synchro was a bit slow.

I need a dogbox.

Scott- Fly my west coast brother, fly!

BAC5.2
01-05-2006, 02:57 AM
3 of the cars in Matt's signature picture have blown transmissions now.

Wiscon_Mark
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
yours, and who elses, Phil?

legacy92ej22t
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
VRG3's. 4th from the left.

Phil, Vikash and I all have very, very similar mods.

BAC5.2
01-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Matt's and mine are nearly identical mod-wise. There used to be some differences, but they are almost the same now.