PDA

View Full Version : Intake Idea

BuruKid
12-31-2005, 11:03 PM
I have read all about the intake and the arguments about cone vs panel filter and oil filter vs cotton and cai vs short ram and i think ive come up with maybe a solution. What if you bought an ebay intake 20$ An AEM dryflow cone filter 35$, Denork the airbox and plug up fender thing. And had the pipe run into the airbox. Maybe dremel it out a littlle bit to fit the bigger pipe then seal it up with somthing. and have the cone non oil filter in the airbox sucking cold air safley? You might have to modify the ebay pipe a little bit to go to the air box ,but im sure its very doable.

Im only 15 so give me some slack if the souds dumb. This is what i might do when i get my legacy in a few monthes. Any feed back would be great.

Plays_with_Toys
01-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't think a cone filter could fit in there. And, it wouldn't matter, because the size of the hole leading into the airbox would determine how much air could go into the system.

If I recall correctly a cone filter is optimum simply because it has more surface area to pull in air, but the cross sectional area of a hole is what determines air flow. So, because the hole into the air box is only 2.5", that means only X amount of air can flow in. The cone filter may be able to suck in X+5 amount of air, but the hole doesn't allow for that.

An easier solution is one of those heat walls that would tuck up against the hood (maybe some insulation tape?) and tucks nice and tight to the inner fender, so that engine air doesn't come into there as easily.

This is my logic, but others might have another idea.

BuruKid
01-01-2006, 01:04 AM
What if you cut the airbox opening bigger that way all the airbox would be is basically a free preassembled heat shield?
And also how come i read all these people saying that K&N filters oil messes up the MAF ,but no one uses the new AEM dry filters? is there somthing wrong with them or just unpopular b/c theyre new?

Wiscon_Mark
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
A question for you: Why do you keep using the word oil in the discussion on intakes? Are you talking about the filter's oiled vs. non-oil abilities or what? K&Ns are supposed to be pre-oiled anyways.

Second thing: You are a very creative mind, I like your idea. The best bet would be to make some framework and fiberglass a heatshield the uses two of the holes in the fender (de snorked of course), the airbox really doesn't have what you're looking for if you want to put a cone filter in it (space wise).

Third off: If you reset the ECU, there will be no CEL, because the ECU will relearn the new airflow through the MAF due to the altered intake. To reset the ECU, you disconnect the battery, pump the brakes a couple times (to get rid of any other stored electricity in the system) and let it sit for 45 minutes, then reconnect, and the ECU will relearn your driving style, airflow, etc.

mr_choung
01-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Third off: If you reset the ECU, there will be no CEL, because the ECU will relearn the new airflow through the MAF due to the altered intake. To reset the ECU, you disconnect the battery, pump the brakes a couple times (to get rid of any other stored electricity in the system) and let it sit for 45 minutes, then reconnect, and the ECU will relearn your driving style, airflow, etc.[/quote]

WOW...i thought you only need to disconnect the battery's negative for like 5 min.?

Wiscon_Mark
01-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I was just being safe...I dunno how long it really is, but I only disconnected it for a couple minutes and I got a CEL, so i left it out for quite a while.

Plays_with_Toys
01-01-2006, 12:39 PM
What if you cut the airbox opening bigger that way all the airbox would be is basically a free preassembled heat shield?
And also how come i read all these people saying that K&N filters oil messes up the MAF ,but no one uses the new AEM dry filters? is there somthing wrong with them or just unpopular b/c theyre new?

You will mess up your MAF if you overoil, or if you oil, then drive right away. You have to let the oil soak into the filter element. If you over oil, then yes, oil will get pulled off the filter and across the MAF, but the MAF is pretty easy to clean.

BuruKid
01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Thank you for the tips and ideas. I didn't know you could unplug the ecu and it would reset/realearn, very neat.

Plays_with_Toys
01-01-2006, 07:16 PM
You disconnect the battery, not the ECU ;)

scottzg
01-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a lot of work for what might be less gains than just a snorkusuctomy.

Applauding the engineering though.

Wiscon_Mark
01-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a lot of work for what might be less gains than just a snorkusuctomy.

you did something similar, some time ago ;)

noza
01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
i second the idea of the heat shield vs. having the filter in the fender.
anyone remember the turn3 (i think) intake that was around in 98 or so? it had a nice heat shield made of aluminum i belive that isolated the filter well

i once had a dryer hose routed from my bumper too the hole where the snorkus used to be to route cold air to the filter. routing somthing similar might also be a decent way to go.

ooberdoob
01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
i'll clean up this thread.

snorcusectomy.
plug hole.
K&N panel.
EBAY intake.
couple fittings and the rubber hose thing from home depot.

[/project]

:twisted: i did it, i love it. there is a diff, there are the dyno sheets to prove it.

easy, been done before. works good.

its what you are thinkin of, only perfected and done before.

you got the right idea grasshoppah! keep at it!

Plays_with_Toys
01-01-2006, 09:47 PM
i'll clean up this thread.

snorcusectomy.
plug hole.
K&N panel.
EBAY intake.
couple fittings and the rubber hose thing from home depot.

[/project]

:twisted: i did it, i love it. there is a diff, there are the dyno sheets to prove it.

easy, been done before. works good.

its what you are thinkin of, only perfected and done before.

you got the right idea grasshoppah! keep at it!

Did you read a certain article? :wink:

ooberdoob
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
yes sir! and the credito goes to you sir, here, i'll even search and post the thread for ya! https://sl-i.net/FORUM/

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php ... highlight= (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=1479&highlight=)

Plays_with_Toys
01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
now thats a good read. I still haven't cleaned my engine though. I tried to, but you don't even know where to start. :lol:

scottzg
01-02-2006, 01:33 AM

you did something similar, some time ago ;)

Haha, yeah, i did.

I don't have any numbers to quote though.