Thread: 1995 Subaru Legacy new head unit problem

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

1995 Subaru Legacy new head unit problem

So I don't have alot of experience with installing CD players, I did it on my past three cars but something went very wrong this time. I took the old one out and hooked the new one up. I wanted to make sure the harness was all correct so rather then electrical tape it first I turned the car onto make sure it worked and it did but soon after a wire must have bumped another and there was a small spark on the newly connected wires on the harness The interior light in my car went out and the cd player does not seem to have power. I checked my fuses under the driver side and none seems damaged but I replaced them all anyways. Still didn't fix things, none of the wires look or appear burnt.

I don't know what to do, are there fuses I should check other then what is under the driver side? Does anyone have any ideas?

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: 1995 Subaru Legacy new head unit problem

well first off. let me give you some proffessional advice as i am mecp certified. never electrical tape harness adapter wires together. always use butt connectors and crimp them, or use small wire nuts. and always do this as you go, otherwise you end up bumping wires together like you did. and always disconect the battery when doing anything electrical on you car until you have all wires secured. now as your problem goes, theres more than just fuses in that fuse box you mentioned. EX: heated seat fuse is buried in the dash way up on the drivers side. so my suggestion is to go to your local library and ask them where the computer is that has all the electronic chiltons manuals on it. look up the schematic for your radio and interior light, and see if they share a fuse somewhere else. and that program should tell you where the fuse it located in the vehicle. print that page out, take it home and start looking and following wires. if you have a problem at your library, let me know, mine isnt far and im sure i could get to help you out.

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: 1995 Subaru Legacy new head unit problem

Check the fuses in the engine bay.
    - Jey
    1995 Legacy Wagon EJ257 turbo
    2011 Tribeca Limited EZ36