View Poll Results: subaru legacy L wagon ej22 or impreza outback hatch ej22??

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • -1997 Subaru Legacy L wagon ej22 150k miles-

5 45.45%
  • -2000 Subaru Impreza Outback hatchback ej22 105k miles-

6 54.55%

Thread: subaru legacy or impreza??? plz read before vote

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

subaru legacy or impreza??? plz read before vote

the poll is to decide whether i should get the legacy or the impreza. it is really up to me which car i get and i cannot decide. my dad just bought a 2000 subaru impreza outback hatchback with 105k miles on an ej22. the timing belt slipped off because the idler belt cut through the plastic cover and pushed the timing belt off. and he got the car for 700$ and i have been doing some research and if im super lucky i might not have to do anything but put the belt back on & start it. Yes i am aware it is an interference engine but i have heard some rare cases i might not have to replace the heads. if the heads are ruined i will buy a new running ej22 with 40k miles on it for 800$
    1997 2.2L Subaru Legacy L wagon or Subaru Impreza Outback 2000 phase II ej22 (parents havent decided which one they will give me haha)
    2006 Yamaha XT225 Serow Dual sport - ftw!

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: subaru legacy or impreza??? plz read before vote

Legacy. I had the same choice in 2002 when I got my 98 Legacy - my parents had a 2000 Outback Sport and they liked my Legacy so much they wanted to trade. The Legacy has more room and a lower driving position so I kept the Legacy.
    - Jey
    1995 Legacy Wagon EJ257 turbo
    2011 Tribeca Limited EZ36

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Depends entirely on which group of subaru fans you want to be associated with, and what your requirements in a vehicle are.

Very few vendors do R&D for the Legacy BG/BK/BD chassis, so you get the honorable DIY badge.
    The Impreza GF chassis has a lot more support, and the SOHC engine is lighter and I believe, more responsive than the earlier Legacy one.

I've had both cars, so I know how much fun the slightly lighter GF chassis is, but the Legacy is a more comfy ride. You are looking at two cars that are separated by 4 manufacturing years, so the 97 Leggy might be as rattly as the 00 Impreza.

Personally, if I were making a street machine (again) or even a fun-all-in-one autox car I'd go with the Impreza. It's newer and has less miles, and parts are easily bolted on. If you drive across country or just enjoy a little more space interior wise and the "that's not a Subaru is it?!" looks when you have a modified Legacy, get the Leggy.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Like huffer, both cars like you are deciding with are sitting outside my door at this moment, I love the leggy much more

it is amazing what you can fit in the impreza wagons, plus the phase II ej22 does put out more power (142 vs 137) than the ej22e in the legacy plus you can bolt in ej25 cams for a very quick and easy power upgrade, they are still a single port head though. for me at least my legacy seems to handle better and feels more planted through corners ( 1 set of wheels tried on both cars ) even though the impreza seems to be "stiffer"

the biggest difference is the interior, my legacy seems more refined and is worlds more comfy and every body in the car has more personal space, and seeing as i am the guy driving, and that is where you should most of your time with a car I don't like rock hard seats and an odd driver position

so will you be doing a lot of driving? i've pulled 13hours of driving in my impreza and will never do it again. even a 45 min drive in my local area is annoying in the impreza
    will you haul a ton of stuff? my god the wagon holds a ton
    are you a bolt on guy or DIY? Huffer covered this ^

pick what best meets your needs

just get the leggy why else you ask us?
    2007 Impreza WRX STi
    2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium CVT
    Sold 1997 Legacy L Sedan, 2.5L 12:1 Compression Hybrid, The 'Lego'
    RIP - 2005 LL Bean Outback, The 'Bean' & 1999 Impreza Outback Sport

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

If it was a Legacy sedan vs the OBS, I would say the Legacy all day.
    But Legacy wagon vs OBS, I gotta say OBS.
    I guess I'm not "secure" enough to jump into the proper-wagon sized vehicle just yet.

vs

I even like the tail end - with spoilers:

I agree the legacy seems more refined (I owned an Impreza with puke tan interior ). Well the interior can be changed - I changed the tan in my 98 Impreza for stuff from a gray-interior Forester. However, I have back problems with stock legacy seats. More than with Impreza seats (which sit more upright than the Legacys). I drove to Portland and back (~400 mi) in a day once with Impreza seats installed in my Legacy, and afterwards I could still walk! Not so with the stock 96 Legacy seats I've since chucked. Just put RS seats in my Legacy and OOOOHHHH the comfort!
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Did you get one yet? I now have an 98 Outback Limited wagon, and I have to say, it's a cool car.
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

yea im still fixing the impreza.... both heads are off and sent to a machine shop, hopefully we will have them back in a few weeks. then put them back on and re install everything no the engine and corss our fingers the baby will run again! i cant wait. i told my dad i get to drive it first considering i have done all the work on it, alone, with the help of both a chiltons and that other shop manual.... crap cant think of the name!! but hopefully that is the car ill be spending my first summer with a drivers license in if not ill just get the red legacy L with 20% tint all windows 30% driver and passenger windows and clear of course front window.
    1997 2.2L Subaru Legacy L wagon or Subaru Impreza Outback 2000 phase II ej22 (parents havent decided which one they will give me haha)
    2006 Yamaha XT225 Serow Dual sport - ftw!

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:

I own both, Impreza is a better platform for performance.
    -'97 Legacy Outback - 5MT, DOHC EJ25D/EJ22T hybrid w/ VF8 turbo @ 11psi - 170 whp / 200 wtq (untuned)
    -'00 Impreza 2.5RS - 5MT, LSD, STI Ver 4 interior, I/H/E, spring/strut combo, still N/A

Past ROTM winner! Thanks for the support SL-i!