Thread: What do these terms mean anyway?

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

What do these terms mean anyway?

I've been asked by a few people that I've PM'ed this information to post this up.
    This is some information about what things mean here (in my general experience anyway. Semantics can always be argued over). It's long though. Be prepared.

First, a quick Japanese lesson. Here are the words I'll be explaining (I won't be using them in the explanation, I just want you to be aware of the words I'm drawing from to explain the concepts):
    後期 (kouki) - [translation - latter part (of the year)]
    型 (kata) - [translation - kind/type/model]
    モデル (moderu) - (this is a Japanese pronunciation of the English word 'model')
    タイプ (taipu) - (this is a Japanese pronunciation of the English word 'type')
    車種 (shashu) - [translation - car model]
    バージョン (baajyon) - (this is the Japanese pronunciation of the English word 'version')
    修正 (shuusei) - [translation - revision]
    形式 (keishiki) - [translation - form/type]

I'll refer to these pages for my examples:
    (a) click here
    (b) click here
    (c) click here

Lets start with 'kouki', 'model', and 'revision'.
    For model, it's the single letter code on the left side of all of those pages (what you may've heard referred to as "revision"). The translation is "applied model", which it also says on your ID plate in English next to the model code itself (The VIN isn't a model code, despite what some people think).
    Models typically are one year runs (not usually in line with the calendar year). The only exceptions I can think of are the C model of the GC/GF generation {see (a) [click here]} and the D model of the BE/BH generation {see (b) [click here]}. In English we call it "model year" (it isn't called 'revision' in English or Japanese, so I don't know where that started.) Sometimes this definition of model is instead referred to as 'type' because the character for (kind/type) is sometimes used for this.

[EDIT: I did an EXHAUSTIVE search for Subaru ever using the term "revision" in that context and came up empty. I really don't know where that term came from...]

Kouki is a change in the middle of a model (the latter half of a model year). Since Subaru doesn't change things midway through, it doesn't really apply. An example of kouki would be a later B model BD having different parts from a B model BD made earlier in the model year. Again, the closest Subaru came to making what is referred to as 'kouki' were those extended model runs I mentioned earlier (although there was no change in the BE's case). Kouki in Japanese is 'latter part' of a year (well, it can be used for a century or decade too, but that's beside the point). The way some Westerners use it though, it should be 'kouhan', not 'kouki'.

[EDIT: After talking with some guys at the junkyard about this, I found out that they use 'kouki' for later in the generation as well (not just model as I had previously thought). There are also other ways of defining/describing the concept of model change. But they still never use the term "revision".]

A revision is when there is an actual change (what we would call 'revision' in English). Refer to (c) [click here]. The C and D model of the J-spec Impreza were the '04 in the US. The J-spec E model was the '05 US-spec Impreza. The E model was a revision. Very different interior, wheel size, lug spacing, suspension setup, etc., despite looking similar on the outside as the other two. A lot of things are not interchangeable between the E model and the other two (which is why it bugs me when people call those two very different models both 'version8'). The C/D has more in common with the A/B Impreza than the E. So referring to (b) [click here], the BE had a revision with the C model and the D model making that a total of 2 revisions in the BE/BH generation. The A/B aren't revisions as they aren't revising anything, they are the beginning models (the B is the same as the A) of that generation of Legacy.

So that covers model, kouki, and revision. I'd like to explain 'version' and another meaning of model (there were more than one Japanese word for 'model', remember?).
    First, you will NEVER find the word 'version' without the word 'STI' before it. Refer to (a) [click here] and the picture by my name. 'Version' is ONLY used for STIs (because they're STI versions of the cars, duh), not the whole Impreza line (...and not just Imprezas either. Legacys and Foresters have STI versions too). And the numbered versions were only with the GC/GF Impreza. There's no such thing as 'version VII' or "version VIII". Even if there were, a new version came with every model. So if you really wanted to stick with the theme started in the GC/GF era {see (a) [click here]}, the C model Impreza ('04 US-spec) would be 'version 9' since the A/B models would be versions 7/8.

The other meaning of model I want to tell you about is the general chassis type. For example: BD, BG, GC, GF, BE, BH, GD, GG, etc. are all different models. Actually, any part of the "applied model code" is 'model'. I also use 'generation' for this meaning (because they're different generations of the cars, but that's just me).
    Let me throw in one more word that means model (yup, another one). It's in the vocabulary list at the top as 'car model' (it could also be translated as 'type'). This refers to the trim of the particular model line. Examples being: S401, WRX, GT-B, RSK, etc. So while in English you might say (make/model/trim of XXgeneration), in Japanese it's possible to translate it as (manufacturer/model/model of XXmodel).

[EDIT: After the 'kouki' talk with a few guys, I decided to make sure everything else checked out. As I said- semantics can always be argued (and some things are just difficult to translate), but everything else I wrote seems to be the consensus.]
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Re: What do these terms mean anyway?

:thumbsup:
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

Re: What do these terms mean anyway?

I'm bumping this for new people to see and read.
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan