Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ej20t or ej25???

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

ej20t or ej25???

i have a ej25 sohc in car now and found a ej20t for pretty cheap. but i wasnt sure of a few things. should i go with the ej20t will transmission i have now bolt up fine, or should i just go with a newer ej25 dohc. for the cost difference im leaning towards the ej20t... but am i selling my self short, the difference in price is around 1200-1500 bux. any advice would be greatful!

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: ej20t or ej25???

will it bolt up? yes. I personaly do not know the power ratings of your transmission. but, If you were to check some threads at nasioc.com or RS25.com you should find some answers. good luck with the swap! and I know that you are not the first or last to do this one.

Level
    Achievements:

ok so they will bolt up, thanks for that. now isnt it possible to just upgrade clutch and flywheel and so forth to handle more horsepower or is it a better idea to just to switch out the tranny?......

Level
    Achievements:

and before i forget, what about engine mounts... will the ej20t drop right down like it was oem or what mods would i have to do, besides the ecu and body harness?

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Broski, check out the stickies at the top of the "swaps and conversions" page.

For example, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3347
    and http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386462
    NOOB Classifieds Moderator
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -91 SS 5mt. Can't believe a 21 year old car could be so much fun.
    -96 L 4eat. This girl has been with me through the long haul.
    ?????

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

My two cents. I would go 2.5... the lag on 2.0 leaves much to be desired. And you can do what I did. I payed the local subaru engine builders to build me a 2.5 hybrid, hi-compression engine that is plug and play with my ecu and wiring harness so its easy to pass emissions,and it only cost me $1350 parts and labor. The motor puts out a little more than the 2.0 and I have more low end so your 0-60 is slightly faster than the 2.0 wrxs... and as far as the trans goes. Stock trans will hold just fine if you set it up right. See when you have that much power and you floor it, something had to give. The awd won't let the tires give and if your clutch doesn't give, your trans most likely will. Your best bet is to go with a soft compound clutch and a super high pressure pressure plate so once the clutch grabs it won't let go but if you over do it the clutch plate will give so you don't blow your trans.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Achievements:

well this car is my daily driver. i plan on building another one down the road later, that one to have some serious fun with. but for now im just trying to hook up my daily driver. i found a ej20t with tranny and ecu for 1200.00. but if you can break the list down on how you got that hybrid for only 1300 or so... like for example where you bought the parts and where you found the ej25 for so cheap. i just stared my hunt and its usually around 2,500 or so... for the ej25 dohc, and anywhere from 900 to 1200 for ej20t.

ive only been with you guys a day or so and ive learned tons..... thanks! :smt026

Level
    Achievements:

Are you talking about a EJ255/EJ257 swap? Another thing to consider is its not just the cost of the motor. You got to consider what else you will need. Does it have a turbo? Or a inter xooler. Or ecu or exhaust .. and all the information out there makes turbo engine swaps super easy. But I can tell you from experience, that it takes more than a wink and a smile. And if its your first subaru motor swap I would strongly discourage a turbo swap. Turbo engine swaps complicate the shit out of a swap. When I said 2.5 I was referring to a ej253/EJ251 N/A hybrid motor. My n/a 4cylinder makes 220chp. And although the Ej205 is rated at 227chp I find that the real world power is more like 200chp. And all I did was hook up the old wiring harness and ecu. The ej257 is a VERY complicated swap. The ej205 is also a complicated swap. I Highly highly recommend a n/a hi-compression 2.5 swap, you have a NEW motor..0 miles, with a warranty vs. A motor that some punk kid beat the S out of for 50-90k and generally speaking n/a is cheaper on gas, more reliable, cheaper parts, n/a can go longer between oil changes, less maintenance, and to be 100% honest, 200hp n/a is more fun and usually faster that 200 turbo horsepower. Because there is no lag. I've done some swaps and I tell newbies all the time. Do an n/a swap first. Even if you just take your motor out and break it down to a long block and put it back in. So you can familiarize your self with swapping motors before you do a turbo swap. The people who say its easy are the gurus who know tons about it and have done it a bunch of times. But for a first timer. It's hard.

Level
    Achievements:

Expect your car to be down for a couple weeks to a couple months (for your first couple of times) as well.
    Giggity
    ?????

Level
    Achievements:

Also passing emission with a turbo motor is a major hurtle as well. Where as a n/a swap runs on the same ecu. So the computer has no clue that anything is different. Making it a piece of cake to pass emissions.

Ps welcome to sl-I. It was the first subaru forum I joined and is certainly my fav. Everyone here is super rad. Except for mike Tracy. He's a Dick... lol just kidding mike is rad too and he knows a lot.. and yeah you will learn a lot. If your ever looking for technical information it would be wise to make a account on nasioc. And also if you go nasioc then forums then chapters you can find people in your area, who hold meets and can help you ons swap if needed. If your looking for me stop by the rocky mountain impreza owners club forum. I'm on all the time there.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by lord flashheart
    . Everyone here is super rad. Except for mike Tracy. He's a Dick... lol just kidding mike is rad too and he knows a lot.. and yeah you will learn a lot.
    Hahaha.

Flashheart is quite the character too, but in a good way.
    Giggity
    ?????

Level
    Achievements:

well to be honest... im having a shop my cousin runs to do my legacy l... i will buy my first actual project car shortly with in the next year or so to mess with myself. i have two kids so i cant have my car be down for a few weeks are more. so my first subie is being done by a shop. so its done in no time. im just doing research right now and getting use the subaru before i actually jump into doing it myself. before this i had just another dime a dozen Honda civic with a gsr swap and type r lsd tranny. but for the research ive done.... my love for honda has faded and my love for subaru has taken over by far. i am most definitely going to get another legacy if not impreza and mod the hell out of it. so thank you guys so much for all the info and keep it coming!!!!!

Level
    Achievements:

I don't want to sound like an ass or Fuck or whatever, but I'm going to be blunt with you, Just so you know even the best shops will still take at least a week to do a swap. The wiring alone takes a professional at least a few days. I just think your under estimating this swap. A Honda swap can be done in a weekend. Subarus are a different beast. The motor that is in your car is perfectly capable of making the power and more reliably as well. Personally I think your making a poor choice. Alot of newbies want to do the turbo swap and I've discovered its mostly because they want to say "i put a wrx motor in my car" or "yeah its turbo'ed". Just because everyone think n/a is boring. Stop chasing unicorns and look at this from a logical and objective stand point.

What are the goals?
    Reliable
    Quick and easy
    220chp
    Minimum down time.
    Inexpensive

I just told u you could have more power from a more reliable motor with a warranty, that would cost less and be done in one day. And you wouldn't have to worry about emissions and your car would beat most wrxs even tho your car is heavier.

Instead you want the motor that was beat up by some kid, doesn't have a warranty, that does spool until 4200 rpms, will cost more, (up front and in long run) is less reliable ( especially for a daily driver) will take a couple weeks to swap, even by a pro, and cost of the motor, you need a lot of other things like exhaust, a hood with a scoop, ecu, turbo and other components to make it work with your car. and on top of all that. You can't pass emissions. You only have 3 options for passing emissions btw.. move to a county that doesn't have emissions, swap the motor back every year so you can pass, or use the stock ecu and modify it to run a turbo engine and even then that's a lot of work, will likely run like shit and is still a long shot on emissions cuz, turbo engines don't burn as clean.

Level
    Achievements:

Sorry to sound like a Dick, btw. That wasn't the intent. I know regardless of what I say you will probably do the swap. I'm just telling you from personal experience, A LOT of newbies try these swaps and find themselves in over there heads. Good luck.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

For what you are trying to do I would stay n/a 2.5 unless you have a second car. How many stories do you hear about turbo builds failing either during or after the swap? Are turbo builds never completed. Everytime I talk to Tom at Wicked Innovation he has a couple WRX's and STi's in there for blown motors, trannys or turbo's.

I would do a turbo build only if I had another car on the road that was reliable and ready to bring my ass to work every day. I have a 2.2 with "stage1" cams, bolt one and some suspension work. This car is a lot more fun to drive now then this past summer. And I will be more fun when I complete it, and I wont need boost to put a smile on my face.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Level
    Achievements:

That^

Level
    Achievements:

good point... but my main problem is that i couldnt find parts for my motor so i knew subarus most popular car was the impreza and parts would be everywhere. was the main reason i even wanted to do a swap.... now if you guys can point me in the right direction like i believe you are. just help me find parts for my stock motor and i shall rebuild her. like i said befor i plan to actually get a project car, to have fun with. so i wouldnt mind a n/a sohc for a dd. but i do want her to be fun to drive.

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by 03LegacyL
    just help me find parts for my stock motor and i shall rebuild her. like i said befor i plan to actually get a project car, to have fun with. so i wouldnt mind a n/a sohc for a dd. but i do want her to be fun to drive.
    If you are looking to get more power out of your stock motor the best way is cams, full header back exhaust, intake, and pp6 or equivelent. It will cost no more than a swap and way more reliable provided you can tune it right. That is my recomendation.
    02 Legacy GT BE 5MT now with boost!! SOLD!
    04 RSTI
    98 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

I'll talk to my buddy at metric motor, who built mine and ill get a list of parts you will need. The motor in your car is the ej251 I believe which is the same one I bought. And so the parts list will be pretty short (performance head gaskets, cams, etc). I bet my buddy at metric could send you a built long block and you just send back the core charge so you could have your car done in one day. Yours will probably be cheaper than mine because I had to buy a block, heads etc. You already got that so it won't be much.

Level
    Achievements:

ok beautiful, but that was really my first problem i ran across. now will a legacy gt exhaust fit on my L model or will i have to make a custom exhaust. now hopefully headers and such are interchangeable. you guys are right about the subarus being another beast. theres no doubt about that.

Level
    Achievements:

If you need Genuine Subaru parts go to Subarupartsforyou.com and if you want go fast parts pm me what you need.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD

SLi Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Level
    Achievements:

now here is a good question... so can cams, pistons, rods and so forth be switch between ej25 motors or is it all independent?

Level
    Achievements:

well im going to call it a night and watch a movie with the mrs. email mail me at anytime @ addanotherteardrop@gmail.com... it goes straight to my blackberry.
    thanks again guys.... look forward to talking somemore.

Level
    Achievements:

Some cams are interchangeable and pistons and rods and cranks are for the most part. But keep in mind when you mess with that stuff you are changing compression ratios and such. Subarus are like legos they will go together and most work with each other but sometimes just because the parts are compatible doesn't mean that is the most efficient or to get optimum performance. And again for the best subaru technical data browse thru nasioc. Almost everything you can think of has been done or at least attempted. You want info on swapping your STi engine and trans to a brat? It's been done.you want to build a hi compression motor using only parts available in a common junk yard? Yep been done. You want to know if a STi crank will work in a ej22t? They have info on that.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Reason
    If you need Genuine Subaru parts go to Subarupartsforyou.com and if you want go fast parts pm me what you need.

Pssssh.. what do you know about going fast?
    Hahaha just messing with you....please don't ban me...

Level
    Achievements:

I don't, have you read my sig? Lol
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD

SLi Facebook

Level
    Achievements:

STi guys ain't got nothin on 105whp!

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by lord flashheart
    My n/a 4cylinder makes 220chp.
    BS. seriously, how did you gain this 55hp NA and where is your dyno plot? a franken motor with cams and no em does not make that kinda power period.

so until you show me a dyno plot, stop saying it makes more power than a stock wrx...
    97 Legacy Brighton w/ EG33 swap.... still a work in progress
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by Reason
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkitan
    Quote Originally Posted by Svenerachi
    why was ^ statgsr banned? or is that just his unique status thing?
    he was a naughty monkey
    naughty monkeys are not tolerated here

Level
    Achievements:

Its hardly a "franken motor". It's a high compression ej25 hybrid with custom cams, pistons, etc. and I believe they did a port and polish as well It's actually the same motor they build for small planes. And it was built by the best subaru engine builders in the state.(possibly the country) its not just a motor I put together with some parts I had laying around. I don't know every part that went into it. But I told them I wanted a 220chp, under $1500, n/a, that was plug and play with my car. He told me that they build this motor for air planes and it fits that criteria. The dyno cost is super expensive if its not in the car. So once its running I will take it to the dyno and I'm estimating about 40hp for mechanical drag. So if its 180whp I think that would be right in that area. Also keep in mind this is with a different intake, headers, catless, and probably a ej25 ecu and injectors.

Level
    Achievements:

Ps ill have it running by Wednesday. And I'll bet you it will make 220.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast