Thread: BD/BG ECU harness removal help

Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Question BD/BG ECU harness removal help

I'm still futzing around with the world's longest engine swap project (EZ30 into my '97 2.5GT, started in fall '13). I have the dash removed and would like to get the old engine wiring out of the way. There are 2 big-ass wiring pass-through grommet thingies that go through the firewall. I pulled out the A/C evaporator, which allowed me to pull one big grommet into the car so I could clean up the wiring (as seen here)...

However, the other one, the one on the right in the picture, I can't quite get to. Is the only way to get that one to pull the frickin' heater box out? And the only way to do that would be to pull the dash beam, right? I filled the cooling system already, so I'll be rather annoyed if I have to drain it back out so I can pull the heater box out of the way. I hate rework, even if it's something relatively simple. :cwm10:

Thanks,
    Pat
    Pat Olsen
    '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan - RCE Tarmac2 coilovers, 4-pots front, H6 rears, '06 STI 6-speed, Quaife rear diff, mAd N/A powah!

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I originally posted this in the Swaps & Conversions forum, but haven't gotten any responses, so I figured I'd try here to see if a different audience will chime in.
    I can't quite get to. Is the only way to get that one to pull the frickin' heater box out? And the only way to do that would be to pull the dash beam, right?
    if its anything like a BE/BH, then yes and yes.

The harness runs along the firewall behind the heater/AC box to the ECM. You'll also have to degas the AC so the box can come away from the firewall.

Not a difficult job, just takes a fair amount of time and patience.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Merged both threads....

If you are doing any wiring merge in a bd/bk/bg, the dash will really need to come out.

This thread should help you out with how much work it it to pull.
    https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...nt-in-BD-BG-BK

Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    I suppose I knew the answer to my question, I was just hoping there was some cleverness that would let me avoid the re-work. Fortunately the A/C system is empty, so when I pulled that portion of the dash's guts out I didn't have to worry about evacuating the system.

It's blocked from view in those pics, but the other penetration through the firewall is only a couple inches to the left, just far enough that I can't really work it out of the firewall to pull the wiring back through. Ah well - long weekend coming up means I can play with all of this stuff.

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryO.G.5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Ahhhh the fun of harness shenanigans. It looks like this may be in my immidiate future as well as I have an intermittent dead short somewhere in the 12v line that feeds everything the car needs to run. I have had to push/tow/walk 2x this weekend because of this. Grrrrrr. I just need my car back! Electrical is generally not HARD.... but it does take patience and requires MUCH paying attention. It is very easy to do bad things to lots of stuff if you are not methodical.
    Ruby 2.0 1999 Legacy Outback LTD: Getting Ruby 1.5's drive train.
    Ruby, 1998 Legacy Outback: officially a turbo car. Wounded, but being brought back.
    Courtney, 1997 Legacy Outback: DD and off road fun. Going to my sister for a reliable beast.
    Green Machine, 1998 Legacy L wagon: Only one I could not save... She is giving life to others.
    Sapphie, 1962 Nova: Going to be my Daughters sweet ride.

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Your a/c system shouldn't need to go anywhere....

Looks like what you've removed this far is only the heater core.

It's much easier if you just take out the dash support, and carefully slice the big gromett. As you'll need all the heater ductin out of your way. There's enough room to slide the wires slightly, but not enough to pull the larger connectors through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk