Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 22B05STI's 1991 subaru Legacy sport project... pictures

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: 22B05STI's 1991 subaru Legacy sport project... pictures

sir you are doing it very, very, VERY right!

PBMS ftw!
    '11 Lexus CT200h - Feb. 2024-Present
    '12 Toyota Aqua - AKA Prius C, JDM city runabout. Sold. Apr. 2023-Feb. 2024
    '09 Toyota Crown Hybrid - JDM executive missile. Sold. Oct. 2019-Feb. 2024
    '00 Toyota Vitz Clavia - Sold. Mar. 2018-Jun. 2021
    '11 BMW 328i Xdrive - Sold. Nov. 2016-Apr. 2018
    '08 Legacy 3.0R Limited - Sold. Mar. 2015-Aug. 2016
    '97 Legacy wagon (BK) TS-R wanna-be - Retired. Oct. 2007-Jan. 2015

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

here are a few pictures of the car as it sits today. I have just done the decals for the dash and I really like how it turned out, someday it will have the wrc engine in it so I gave it a 555 logo

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by fwa2500
    sir you are doing it very, very, VERY right!

PBMS ftw!

Thanks, the project has taken some turns along the way, I never thought I would have it completely stripped out again just having got it back on the road. I am looking forward to getting the roof vents fitted to replace the sunroof, I think it will look great and be functional as well. I really like how the dash turned out with the decals and I am fitting a boost gauge as well as oil temp and pressure gauges which will be mounted on the passenger side between the vents.
    I have had to take on a lot of extra work to fund this project, I just finished a brake job on 08 Z06 and will be fitting exhaust to it next week. I also did tune up on 99 vette and I am fixing a Ferrari 328 that was worked on by the local Ferrari workshop, the guy does horrible work but is the only one in town, I have had to repair a 348 that he worked on also. I would like to get some STI's to work on that would be great also.
    I hope to get the vents in next week and have the roof panel fitted so I will keep you all posted and up to date on the project. Above is a photo taken in the back of our shop where I have been working on peoples cars and the Ferrari

Level
    Achievements:

The Possum Bourne roof vents are nearly finished and we will start fitting the roof panel when they arrive, I am also working on another big plan for the car but I don't want to announce it until or if it happens!
    This project has only just begun everyone so please keep an eye on this thread

Level
    Achievements:

The roof vents are finally here and they are really good quality for rally car pieces. There is a lot of work ahead

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

This build is sensational. Great work so far.
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Achievements:

Ok everyone, I guess it's time for an update. I picked up the Subaru engine that was sent here to an engine builder directly from STI for development and was supposed to be a WRC engine, well it turned out to be alittle disappointing in that respect. It has hand ported cyl heads and four cam rocker set up. It looks to be a EJ20 G engine and cyl heads the same as the Legacy RSRA. It has the early closed deck block also which from my research looks to be a great block. It has new crank and rods as well as brand new spare set of cyl heads. The truth be told I swapped it for some Cosworth DFX pump parts as it was basically sent over by STI and nothing was done with it so it sat for years under a bench. The guy that swapped for parts has been dealing with us for years so don't think he was trying to missrepresent the engine he never even pulled it apart. It just is not wrc engine but it does look to be the engine that came in the RSRA Legacy which is great in that respect because it's going into a legacy

Level
    Achievements:

The engine internals are new but it did have signs of a previous problem, which woud have destroyed previous crank. You outcan see where it took out the trusts and moved forward and hit the case. Definitely not with the crank that is in it now it is new as well as forged pistons. It does not look like it has ever been bolted into car so we are guessing it has done short run on dyno. Amazingly number 3 piston was in backwards.

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

hey i was just going to pop in and say this thread is awesome. deffinately doing an amazing job. i real like it. i would love to do something like this but my budget doesnt allow for it.

however i work at a engine shop and we do a lot of performance subaru stuff and i would recomend some different heads. those are the EJ20G rocker HLA and IMHO they are junk. i would HIGHLY recommend the EJ20k, EJ25D (non-HLA) , even the EJ20G shim over bucket.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Achievements:

Here are a few more of the block. We are going to have to go oversize as there was damage to. The #3 cyl bore which is too deep for me to hone out. I appreciate the opinions and comments, I am now aware of the issues regarding the cyl heads and after a lot of discussions and questioning people I have decided to carry on and use these heads. This is mainly because they are factory hand ported heads (the engine also came with RSRA internals as well). I talked to Trevor Crowe who ran these heads on the Legacy rally car and his opinion was they actually were a pretty decent head that flowed quite well and produced good low end torque but also added if I were doing a full engine build and high rev engine It would be better to use later 97/98 STI Heads. I worked his rally car in New Zealand and he had converted his heads to solid lifters with the same set up that prodrive was using on their group A Legacys. My plan is to do the same conversion.I also talked to the person who built the engines for the legacy and he felt the heads were quite good also and although the solid lifter set up was difficult to adjust he thought the early prodrive Legacy engines were good and my plans are to do similar set up. If these were not hand ported RSRA heads direct from the factory I would go with the later heads. I have a brand new still in factory wrappers spare set as well. I will keep posting engine pictures as I go !

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

awesome build, keep up the good work! I'd love to get one of the legacy SS some day and restore it.

What did you use to get the block and intake manifold so clean originally while the block was still in the car?

Ben

t3h ub3r m3mber lord flashheart's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:

well cool car, i really am interested in your build, ill be lurking for sure. however im going to throw out some info. the idea of a forum is to share information. and i would like to discuss this, im not trying to argue.
    so here goes. based on the flow numbers i have seen, those heads (ported or not) are some of the poorest flowing DOHC heads i have seen subaru build. they were good, back in the day when they were new. concider taking them to a shop that has a flow bench, compair to any JDM EJ20 engine. or EJ25 for that matter. i reccomended the 97-98 STi heads (EJ20K) because they are a better performing head. they have a more aggressive cam profile, and are designed to rev to 8700 fuel cut. not only that they flow slightly better at low lift and much better at high lift. and with some gasket matching, knife edging they would really be a great head. however they still dont flow really good.. better than the EJ20G, but still not as good as say a EJ207. if you deshroude the EJ25D heads they flow like you wouldnt believe. really very good. we have had people changing the tune on there cars because it flowed so much better that the head was causing them to lean out. not to mention they have a clover shaped combustion chamber that gives it a nice quentch area, meaning, better burn. better burn = more power per cc of air and fuel.
    now im not really familiar with trevor crowe. but if those are good flowing heads then he needs to buy a flow bench and test some other heads. the legacy 2.2 turbo, and the EJ20G are good motors and all but a EJ257 will still wipe the floor with them. both in terms of low end and top end. i dont know if you have herd of mitch's 807WHP Ej257, but the guy who does our flow testing is the guy who did the porting, polishing, machining, flow benching, etc. on that motor.
    i guess im just confused on what the intent is for this engine..
    its not a exact replica engine, and its not the optimal power house. if you can, please flow test them. im really interested to see a flow bench chart on the ported heads. because the non ported heads are... well pitiful.

also, what pistons are you going to run? correct me if im wrong but if you use those heads which have a combustion chamber of like 57ccs with the stock EJ22 piston dish wont that drop your compression to the mid to low 7 to 1 ratio?

what is your turbo, boost, injector and engine managment blue print for this?

anyways, cool build. i really like it. sorry if i sound like an asshole. its not intended.
    peace bro.
    No, no ,no I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you!

Level
    Achievements:

I guess I should start by saying Trevor recommended the later 97/98 STI heads after I told him what I was doing with the engine. His experience with those early heads with the rocker set up was going back to the early 90s when he was racing the car in the touring car series so it is important that you don't think he is giving bad info here. He is a very successful man in racing and rallying in N.Z. He ran the later heads after I stopped working for him. Using these heads is really about one thing only, they are factory hand ported cyl heads, came direct from STI with them on the engine. I plan to build a car as close as possible to the original RSRA Legacy and therefore my aim is to do as much as I can with these heads even though I am aware for the type of build I am doing it would be better with the later heads which Trevor did say. I Would like to run all the factory manifolds and water to air intercooler with bigger fuel pump and injectors and still have not contacted the guys down in N.Z but still need to find out about cams from guys who were supplying them back in the day.
    I have the challenge of making the best of what was originally available with a few of the new parts available also. Long story short, it's somewhat of a nostalgic build. I did not find any of you comments offensive though and quite happy to receive info from someone like yourself who I can see knows what they are up to just by the questions asked. I just don't want you to think that these were the heads recommended heads. As you and Trevor and John all have clearly statedThe Later STI cam over bucket set up was the way to go.

Level
    Achievements:

Here is the layout that I plan to use. The water to air intercooler as seen above withintake etc basically factory pieces!
    I had not bought pistons or calculated compression or even cc cyl heads yet. I will be working on the heads tomorrow so I guess I should post a few pictures of that process! I plan on having Mitch Pederson do the tuning for me and one of the few things that will not be factory is the ECU. At the end of the day it's also going into a 1991 Subaru Legacy. Nothing like my Impreza 22B or my 05 STI as far as handling is concerned

Level
    Achievements:

The Subaru Legacy Rally Car

The Legacy made its debut in 1989, it was what was going to be used for Subarus world rally programme. After announcing the programme in September 1989 Prodrive received its homoligation papers for the 290 bhp Subaru Legacy, complete with prodrives own 6 speed transmission. Subaru entered its first Prodrive developed car, the Group A Subaru Legacy RS in the 1990 season, piloted by Finnish driver Markku Alén, Alen remained with the team through the 1991 season. His successes included 4th place in the 1990 Rally Finland, also known as the 1000 Lakes Rally, and in 1991, a 3rd and two 4th places. For the 1992 season, Subaru only entered seven of the fourteen WRC events, preferring to demonstrate the car's ability on gravel rallies. The drivers for 1992 were Finn Ari Vatanen with co-driver Bruno Berglund and Scotsman Colin McRae with co-driver Derek Ringer. Both drivers were able to achieve second place finishes.
    For the1993 World Rally Championship season the Subaru team debuted its distinctive blue and yellow color scheme, along with a new title sponsor, 555. Ari Vatanen and Colin McRae were still
    the primary drivers, with the season being McRae's first complete year of World Rally
    Championship competition. Markku Alén, returned part-time to the team after a brief stint at
    Toyota in 1992, and took 4th for Subaru in Portugal. McRae took the first win for Subaru, at the
    eighth event of the season, Rally New Zealand, the last outing for the Group A Subaru Legacy
    rally cars Possum Bourne was also selected to drive the Prodrive legacy at several events
    including the rally of New Zealand. At the next event, Rally Finland, Subaru debuted their new
    Prodrive developed Group A Impreza rally car.

SUBARU LEGACY Group A WRC

DIMENSIONS

Overall length: 4,510 mm

(177.6 in)

Overall width: 1,705 mm

(67.1 in)

Overall height: 1,420 mm
    (55.9 in)

Wheelbase: 2,580 mm
    (101.6 in)

Curb weight (1990): 1,100 kg

(2,425 lbs)

Curb weight (1992): 1,150 kg
    (2,535 lbs)

ENGINE

Power (1990): 286 hp

Power (1992): 296 hp

Torque (1990): 260 lb-ft

Torque (1992): 289 lb-Ft

Peter Raymond George "Possum" Bourne (April 13, 1956 - April 30, 2003) was a champion New Zealand rally car driver. He died under non-competitive circumstances while driving on a public road that was to be the track for an upcoming race.
    He was a three time winner of the Asia-Pacific Rally Championship and the Australian Rally Championship seven times consecutively, amongst many other titles.

Possum Bourne’s Cars
    Bourne was best known for his exploits behind the wheel of Subaru cars, initially the RX (the turbocharged version of the Leone), then the Legacy (rebadged as the Liberty for the Australian market because of a perceived clash with charity organisation in Australia
    But it would be the WRX that he would become most associated with, driving for the Prodrive Subaru World Rally Team in Rally New Zealand, Australia and also He was partnered by Kenneth Erikssonn in the mid 1990s, and went on to win multiple Australian titles with his own team. Possum Bourne Motorsports
    Subaru Japan even awarded him a black limited edition STi version of the Impreza for personal use.
    Possum Bournes Legacy” Liberty” Rally Car

Career Results
    Season Series Position Car Team
    1983 World Rally Championship 28th Subaru RX
    1984 World Rally Championship 43rd Subaru RX
    1985 World Rally Championship 51st Subaru RX
    1986 World Rally Championship 49th Subaru RX
    1987 World Rally Championship 23rd Subaru RX
    1988 World Rally Championship 72nd Subaru RX
    1989 World Rally Championship 49th Subaru RX
    1990 World Rally Championship 14th Subaru Legacy
    1991 New Zealand Rally Championship 1st Subaru Legacy
    1992 World Rally Championship 34th Subaru Legacy
    1992 Australian Rally Championship 3rd Subaru Liberty RS Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1993 World Rally Championship 31st Subaru Legacy
    1993 Asia-Pacific Rally Championship 1st Subaru Legacy Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1993 Australian Rally Championship 3rd Subaru Liberty RS Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1994 Asia-Pacific Rally Championship 1st Subaru Legacy Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1995 World Rally Championship 14th Subaru Impreza WRX

1996 World Rally Championship 26th Subaru Impreza WRX
    1996 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRX Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1997 World Rally Championship 15th Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRX Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1998 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRX Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1999 World Rally Championship 15th Subaru Impreza WRC
    Possum Bourne Motorsport
    1999 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRC Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2000 World Rally Championship 21st Subaru Impreza WRC Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2000 Asia-Pacific Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRC Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2000 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRC Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2001 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRC Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2002 Australian Rally Championship 1st Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    Possum Bourne Motorsport
    2003 Production World Rally Championship 14th Subaru Impreza WRX STi Possum Bourne Motorsport
    Liberty Legacy on show at Trevor Crowe Subaru

Trevor Crowe Race Result History
    Rallies and Hill Climbs

1963 - 1st Windwhistle Hill Climb MGJ2
    1966 - 1st Craigmore Hill Climb MGV8
    1975 - 1st 1300cc NZ Rally Championship Datsun 1200 (3rd outright)
    1976 - 1st Dunedin Rally Datsun 1200
    1976 - 1st Nelson Rally Datsun 1200
    1977 - 1st Gore Rally Datsun 1200
    1978 - 1st Canterbury Rally Hillman Avenger
    1978 - 1st Blenheim Rally Hillman Avenger V8
    1980 - 1st Hamilton Rally Ford Escort BDA
    1980 & 81 - 1st Mystery Creek Rally Cross Ford Escort BDA
    1982 - 1st Coronet Peak Hill Climb Starlet V8
    1985 - 1st Ashley Forest Rally Sprint Starlet V8
    1988 - 1st Blenheim Rally Skoda V8
    1990 - 1st Timaru Rally Skoda V8
    1992 - 1st Canterbury Rally Skoda V8
    1993 - 1st Timaru Rally Subaru Legacy RS
    1995 - 1st Hanmer Rally Subaru Legacy RS
    1998 - 1st Hanmer Rally Subaru WRX
    2000 - 1st New Zealand Open Queenstown Gold Rush Subaru WRX
    2001 - 1st Classic Class Queenstown Gold Rush Skoda V8
    2006 - 1st 2WD Open Class Queenstown Gold Rush Subaru Justy

Our Legacy at Pukekohe in New Zealand testing for the then upcoming race in the Nissan Mobil Touring car series.

Circuit Racing
    1973-74 - 2nd OSCA Corolla Corvette
    1974-75 - 1st 2Litre Class OSCA Datsun 1200
    1977-78 - Many South Island Shellsport Wins and Lap Records (against Reg Cook)
    - Also 3rd in Championship without travelling to the North Island
    1981 - 1st OSCA Starlet V8
    1982 - 1st OSCA Starlet V8
    1983 - 2nd Benson & Hedges 6 Hour Event Holden Commodore
    1984 - 1st OSCA Starlet V8
    1985 - 1st OSCA Starlet V8
    1985-86 - 1st New Zealand Group A Series BMW 635
    1986 - 1st Benson & Hedges Group A Series BMW 635
    1987 - 11th Bathurst BMW M3 (Inky Tulloch)
    1988 - 1st New Zealand Touring Car Series BMW M3
    1988 - 3rd Wellington BMW M3 (Mark Thatcher)
    1988 - 4th Bathurst BMW M3 (Peter Jackson)
    - Asia Pacific Touring Car Champion
    1991 - 2nd Group A Wellington Subaru Legacy

I began my career working for Trevor Crowe Subaru in 1989 and became very involved with his Motorsport programme which gave me the opportunity to work with Possum Bourne and to Race and Rally prep a Subaru Legacy for Trevor Crowe. I was also involved in servicing and Pre Delivery checks of new Subaru’s at the Dealership as well as attending Night school until the end of 92 complete my Automotive Engineering apprenticeship. I completed my time May 1993.I have been Involved in racing in the U.S.A since that time, I currently own two Impreza STI’s one is a super rare 22B, I never lost my Interest in Subaru and still remember the fun times working on the Legacy rally car.

Level
    Achievements:

Well we cc calculated the cyl head and Piston/block and calculated in for head gasket and the engine cc is 1993.04 at current specs and will be. 2015 cc with 1/2 mm oversize pistons. Current compression ratio is 8.36 to1 and it will be 8.44 to 1 with 1/2 mm oversize
    The pistons will be the ones with the valve pockets (reliefs) machined in them same spec as RSRA pistons that came out.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by PHATsuby
    awesome build, keep up the good work! I'd love to get one of the legacy SS some day and restore it.

What did you use to get the block and intake manifold so clean originally while the block was still in the car?

Ben
    Hey Ben, I cleaned it by hand with a CRC product that was old stock at an auto parts store next to our shop. Unfortunately it is not available any more. I will get you the name of another product I have discovered works just as well. I had to do it all by hand with soft bristle brush similar to a tooth brush because the inlet ports were open. It took much more time to do than I care to admit. I will get you the product name that I am using now, it also works very well.

Level
    Achievements:

I picked up the Legacy today from Bruce at Specialtymetalfabrication.com and his work was really good. The vents are in and I am very happy with my descision to remove the sunroof and fit roof vents

What do you guys think? I like the way it looks, it reminds me of the old Group A legacys. This car is only in the beginning stages really. So many Ideas still bouncing around!

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:

Looks great!

Level
    Achievements:

I want to mention one person and dealership that has been absolutely outstanding and have outdone anyone I have ever dealt with before and that is Ken Mnatsakanyan at Subaru of Las Vegas. He has Supplied me with parts and helped me find parts for both of my Subaru projects, I sent him a link to this website and Thread so if you read this Ken, a very big thankyou for all your help. I highly recommend a trip to Subaru of Las Vegas if you are a Subaru enthusiast like myself. I could not have done these projects without them.

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Please post hi-res or at least larger shots of the roof vents..

I am lovin it... Cooling / Heat extraction for the driver is one of the main concerns for my project..

A+ this build is on fire
    -Chuck

Level
    Achievements:

I am considering rebuilding the 2.2 engine after I remove it from the Legacy and then try and sell it as a complete unit with the rebuilt turbo and everything. As you know I replaced all the hoses and vaccum lines including the steel water lines. Is there anyone here that would be interested in a completely rebuilt engine with all new parts?

I have had a couple of people interested in the original 2.2 block but I thought it would be great to offer complete unit!

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

err, you consider the 22t with the RSRA heads?
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

Level
    Achievements:

finished stripping the car out to a bare shell at which stage it will be painted pearl white inside and out including underneath and then the long rebuild will begin

There is a good picture of the Possum Bourne roof vent also that will be fitted

Level
    Achievements:

I cleaned all the brake and fuel lines for the Legacy, most of the parts were covered in underseal and with a lot of turtlewax bug and tar remover I removed all the dirt and seal and everything is in exceptional condition. I also stripped out the doors tonight, I have to go through every piece going back into this car, I want it to be like new.

You can see the fuel filler breather hoses, they cleaned up really well and it only took about an hour to get them to look like this.....wished there was an easier way

Level
    Achievements:

I had the rear crossmember at our shop today that I am planning on using on the Legacy, we measured it and it looks like it will bolt into the Legacy, it is actually built for a GD.. Impreza. It will be on display at the SEMA trade show. I will hopefully be getting a front crossmember from them also. The company is Kaminari, we had just finished working on the owners Lotus Cortina so I was fortunate to be able to take photos today when he picked the car up so here are a few

If you are interested message me and I can put you in contact with him

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Wowowowowowowwowo.

How did I miss this build thread for so long!? Everything is SO clean and SO meticulous.

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:

Very good work indeed! I love the first gens glad to see somebody putting so much work and time into one, maybe I will one day when my 80's subaru obsession has been fulfilled. That subframe looks incredible as well along with everything else that has been going into this. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more progress.
    Long live the first gen!

1992 Legacy L
    1984 GL FWD wagon
    1986 EJ swapped Brat
    1991 Legacy turbo

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by anothernord
    Wowowowowowowwowo.

How did I miss this build thread for so long!? Everything is SO clean and SO meticulous.
    Actually I guess thats a good question, I would like everyone to see the project, it's going to be a massive project but I hope to keep it interesting and also like to let people know about the parts I find and use along the way like these crossmembers I plan on using are simply perfect for the project. I plan on fitting Impreza Ra six speed and diffs driveshafts and lots of other changes planned but I also hope to keep the factory look in the engine bay but with the Legacy rsra intercooler etc. I will let everyone know what it takes and what I use as I go......unfortunately my budget is starting to get stretched so it could even take a couple of years to complete

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Simply awesome. Definitely subscribed!
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast