Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Turbo the EJ25D

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

DIY: Turbo the EJ25D

Well, once again, I've changed setups, this time from a JC Sports turbo kit, to a full WRX-style turbo setup. Why did I make this change? Mostly because I had a buyer that was wanting the kit very badly, and willing to pay well for it, within reason, and also because the JC sport kit positions the turbo in a way that will not allow a larger turbo to fit. Since I'd like a bigger turbo, and the cleaner*-install of a WRX-style turbo setup, I pulled the trigger. Call me insane, but I like to tinker.

If you ever decide to turbo your DOHC engine, this is probably the simplest way to do it besides getting a kit, which are rare and have quirks.

IMPORTANT: Engine Management

Here's the deal. If you use 91 octane, a good fuel pump, and have a good intercooler, you can run 5 PSI without engine management. However, any more boost than that requires an engine management system. This stuff has been covered a lot before, but I'll outline it. If you have a pre 2001 car, here are some options that people have had success with:

Piggybacks:
    RalliTEK PP6
    Greddy Emanage
    Greddy Emanage Ultimate (I use this)
    Apexi S-AFC
    AEM F/IC

Standalones:
    Megasquirt >>> http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t135220 ... -case.html
    AEM

The limit of the stock 280cc injectors is about 6-7 PSI, so if you want to run more than that, you'll need larger injectors, such as blue and pink WRX/STi top feeds, or yellow STi 04-06 side feeds.

First off, here's a list of parts I bought, about 2 weeks in advance of my planned install weekend.
    I got a bunch of this stuff from eBay, so I'll copy the titles in so they're easier to find if you ever decide to do this.

Turbo Oil Feed line Kit M10 x 1.50mm TD04 TD05 TD06

IMPREZA WRX/STI 1P EJ25 STAINLESS STEEL HEADER MANIFOLD

I know for sure that this one will clear the N/A water pump, but the OEM WRX manifold will not clear it.

Reducer Silicone Hose Coupler 90 degree 2.5" to 2.25"

SUBARU HKS BLOW OFF VALVE BOV ADAPTER FLANGE

Obviously, you'll need an HKS-type valve for this, but you can use any BOV you want, just realize that there's not a ton of space to work with.

02-07 Subaru WRX STi Top Mount Intercooler Y Pipe Kit

(ACE) 3/4" to 1/2" brass "tee"

OTHER PARTS:

-Turbo crossmember w/ turbo swaybar (N/A ones don't fit)
    -Downpipe of your choice 02-07 WRX fitment
    -Catback of your choice (or open stock WRX downpipe, sounds great and is cheap)
    -2" straight silicone coupler
    -2.5" - 3" silicone reducer
    -2.5" "U" bend of aluminum pipe
    -02-07 WRX TMIC (I used an 02, but the 06-07 fit much better)
    -Turbo of your choice (I used a TD04 just to get it up and running, a VF39 will come soon)
    -A 90 degree, 3/8" brass hose fitting for the drain to the valve cover
    -2x 1/2" brass hose fitting for breathers/IACV/PCV
    -Blow-off valve of your choice (I used an SSQV)
    -2.75" straight silicone coupler (for the IC-TB connection)
    -8 feet of 1/2" rubber hose
    -2 feet of 5/8" rubber hose
    -More things I'm forgetting, and will add later

Since my car is a daily driver, I planned out how I was going to do the install. Here's the basic outline of the main install. The first two days can be done any time, provided you have N/A headers, like Borlas, that will clear the turbo crossmember so you can drive around.

Day 1: Install turbo crossmember
    Day 2: Tap valve cover, trim firewall and test fit intercooler
    Day 3: Install everything!
    Day 4: Repair small leaks, random problems, make everything look nice
    Day 5: Tune

That's obviously a rough guide, but it gives you an idea of the time it takes to finish this sort of a project if your car is a DD.

The first thing you should do is install your turbo crossmember. Any 91-94 Legacy turbo crossmember will be a direct bolt-on. This is a pretty big install, so plan to do this ahead of time. An important note: The stock N/A headers won't clear the crossmember, so plan on using a set of Borla replicas (they clear the turbo crossmember), or just having your car offline while you put everything in. I don't have any pictures of this install, but just know that it involves unbolting the following:

-engine mounts
    -steering rack
    -both control arms
    -swaybar
    -crossmember itself
    -U-joint to the steering wheel

Here's what it looks like.

Next thing to do is tap the valve cover for the turbo's oil drain. I used the 90 degree fitting, drilled a hole, then screwed it in with teflon tape. A rubber stopper went in the hose end so it wouldn't leak while I waited for other parts to come in. I used a 3/4" drill bit, then just screwed the fitting in.

The next step is really only necessary if you have an 02-05 intercooler. The 06-07 TMIC's are much shorter an don't have fitment issues. Basically, this step involves grinding away part of the lip on the firewall, under the brake lines. I don't think there;s anything really structural, and grinding away a bit won't do much to weaken the unibody.

Before, the firewall area looks like this:

And after a bunch of cutting, grinding, and test fitting, it will look something like this:

Make sure and spray on some clearcoat or something to keep the bare metal from rusting.

You'll also need to shorten you clutch reservoir. This is easy, just take it off, cut it, deburr, then reinstall.

Or, you can get a sweet JDM offset reservoir from a JDM BC Legacy. (photo credit: kimokalihi) They're kinda hard to find:

You may choose to trim off the throttle body and outlet of the intercooler for more clearance. I did, and it makes the intercooler fit much nicer. It will still fit otherwise, but not nearly as nicely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main install:

If you have access to a lift, or better yet, a pit, use it. Otherwise just put the car on jack stands.

The most time consuming thing to do is re-routing the PCV, breather, and IACV lines. I don't have pictures of this, because I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but you'll need to get a T as close to the crankcase vent as possible, and make it very low, and flush to the rest of the stuff under the IACV. I made one line go under the passenger side intake manifold, looping up behind the power steering reservoir, then another under the throttle body, then around to T in with the breathers lines.

I ran the breather lines on top of the engine, and used the stock T connector to combine them.

For the IACV, I ran a short bit of hose to a 90" 3/4" barb elbow, which runs up to a fitting on the intake tube.

Here's what my hoses look like, as an idea.

Now, you can jack up the engine a bit, bend the power steering lines out of the way a bit, and install the manifold, using new gaskets. If you can, get ahold of one of the turbo suspending mounts, and bolt it on:

UPDATE: I was dumb and used a plain heater hose for the oil drain line. It cannot hold up to the temp of the exhaust and oil, and had completely degraded after a few weeks. A SS line is highly recommended. Transmission hose would also work.

Next up to tackle: the coolant lines. I tapped into the heater core lines, using the 2 3/4" to 1/2" tees.

On the turbo, you need to cut the feed line in the middle so you can flip the top line back so it aims toward the firewall.

The, run the 1/2" line around.

Now, install your oil-feed lines. You can either use high-temp thread sealant for the fittings, or teflon tape. Either will work.

There's a number of different ways to arrange your 1/8" brass tee, but I made mine like this, so it won't hit the alternator.

Next, bolt up the downpipe of your choice.

Here's what you'll have on the intake side:

You'll need to trim the 2.25-2.5" intake coupler to let it clear the intake manifold. The 2.5" intake tube can also be cut to fit at this point. Drill the holes for the brass fittings, and install them as well.

As you can see, the stock WRX y-pipe won't line up, so we have to extend it to meet the turbo. I wouldn't advise cutting the stock y-pipe and trying to make it seal with a coupler. Just get an aftermarket y-pipe, trust me.

On the pressure side, you have to extend the y-pipe downward to meet the turbo outlet, using the extra 2" coupler and piece of pipe. Here's an idea:

Now, you should have something like this at this point.

Here's everything else mocked up:

For your BOV/BPV, just bolt it on. My SSQV flange was a close fit:

At this point, you're basically done! It's just a matter of clamping everything in place, and testing it out! I know I missed some important information, so I'll try and add it in as I remember. Don't forget to get an exhaust made/bolted on.

Here's my finished product:

Happy boosting.

Update #1:

I swapped out my IACV for an EJ22t version, which has a nifty 90 degree inlet that makes it way easier to route.

I found that the EJ22t has a one-way valve in the little plate behind it that prevents boost from leaking. It swaps right over to the 25D manifold.

Update #2

I really hated how the intercooler sits really far back, and has to be all crooked due to the EGR valve.

So, I did a couple modifications to make it sit nicer.

First was chopping down the throttle body. I never use cruise control, so I just took all the pieces off the threaded rods (in order), the ran a die to create new threads, cut off the excess of the rods with a grinder, and put everything back together.

On the throttle body itself, I just lopped off about an ~1.5 inches, then cut/dremeled out around the chunk of metal that holds the throttle plate arms.

Comparison with stock throttle body to show differences:

For the EGR valve, I just elongated the hole on the bottom towards the valve, then sliced open the one on the top so it can sit lower. Then, I ground down the metal where it would otherwise cover up the openings so as to not reduce flow.

Update:

At about 16 PSI, E85 or 330 CHP, this is what happens to the 25D rods:

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: DIY: Turbo your car

wow, tell it how it is brotha! Ill save this for the far future.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

So how much total lol

And how reliable?
    Yes officer, I did hit a pedestrian, but instead of dwelling on that why not focus on how many I've missed?

Level
    Achievements:

It's as reliable as you make it. I put in about $800 so far.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

And you didnt have to change the pistons or anything??? How much boost do you have?
    Yes officer, I did hit a pedestrian, but instead of dwelling on that why not focus on how many I've missed?

Level
    Achievements:

Same engine as my other builds - stock. I'm running 13 psi on E85; it's all in the tuning.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

NFS makes it look so easy.

Great writeups as always! I will never do this, but kudos to you for making it very clear.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:

Nice man! Now put a vid with it for motivational purposes.
    TJ

99 LGT H6 Limited OBP

A little bit of Wrx, a little bit of 2.5RS, a little bit of STi, a LOT of SVX!

Will I ever supercharge this Eg33???

Quote Originally Posted by chuckthefuk
    Cheers and the Baja is not the bastard child.. The Legacy is :-D -Chuck

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Now Im getting thoughts again to turbo my car, thanks haha. But good work, now time for some videos!

Level
    Achievements:

I need a camera mount. So you can all see the hood lift up when it spools: mostly due to the bad stock suspension.

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:

what are you using for engine management?

Level
    Achievements:

Greddy Emanage Ultimate. It's one of the best piggybacks; I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:

This is a good write up, I love it. I have a question though. In your first picture of the underside of your car, what is the orange goopy stuff between the exhaust headers and cylinder head?
    98 Legacy GT. Kartboy LW drive pulley, KB short throw shifter, KB front / rear shifter bushing kit, KB stainless shift knob, Cosmo Racing "Custom" CAI, SpeedyRacer (thermal taped) UEL, K&N cone filter, K&N Dry Filter, Exedy Street clutch, Fidanza LW flywheel, Group N engine mounts, GN pitchstop, GN rear diff armor, GN strut top hats, ebay front / rear strut bars, KYB GR2 struts, paranoid fabrication ground kit, N1 axleback. Falken Sincera tires, Konig Zero wheels, Brembo Rotors, Stoptech SP Pads, Lots of little custom mods. 160,000 miles.

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:

Nice write up I was hoping you would do this.. I was thinking about doing this down the road but a EJ22 spare motor..

one question.. well maybe two..

What about the uppipe? and if you put a turbo crossmember on then that means NA headers wont fit?

*edit well I answered my own question as far as the uppipe
    back
    3 4
    1 2
    Front

97 Legacy Outback Wagon

<--- 252,xxx miles!

Level
    Achievements:

Turbo crossmember + stock N/A headers = sad face. Borla N/A headers do work.

The orange stuff is copper RTV. It works well for temporary exhaust gaskets.

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

This is awesome, I'll be using this next spring : )
    '03 Legacy BE

Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by anothernord
    Turbo crossmember + stock N/A headers = sad face. Borla N/A headers do work.

The orange stuff is copper RTV. It works well for temporary exhaust gaskets.
    Copper RTV. Cool, thanks.
    98 Legacy GT. Kartboy LW drive pulley, KB short throw shifter, KB front / rear shifter bushing kit, KB stainless shift knob, Cosmo Racing "Custom" CAI, SpeedyRacer (thermal taped) UEL, K&N cone filter, K&N Dry Filter, Exedy Street clutch, Fidanza LW flywheel, Group N engine mounts, GN pitchstop, GN rear diff armor, GN strut top hats, ebay front / rear strut bars, KYB GR2 struts, paranoid fabrication ground kit, N1 axleback. Falken Sincera tires, Konig Zero wheels, Brembo Rotors, Stoptech SP Pads, Lots of little custom mods. 160,000 miles.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:

Thanks for the write up! You really helped me with my build.

Would you think front mount would be easier than top mount?
    -Dann
    *SOLD* '97 Subaru Legacy GT
    Cobb underdrive pulley, 2 1/4" cat-back with Twin-loop muffler, OBX CAI.
    *SOLD* '06 LGT
    DBA Drilled/Slotted rotors, Grimmspeed Crosspipe, Catless Upipe, CNT Catted Downpipe, Gimmick Motorsports 3" Catback, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 tune.
    -In the Market for a 3rd Gen Leggy-

Level
    Achievements:

Noooo, the front mount it a way bigger undertaking. Go check the DIY for it.

You basically just put the TMIC in the engine bay, and trim bits here and there, if you need to.

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

I'd like to see what kind of power you're making with this. How's it feel?

Level
    Achievements:

It should be somewhere around stock STi power, at least at it's peak. I've ridden in "Stage 2" WRX's that felt like dog in comparison.

It feels like a warp drive is kicking in around 3100 RPM. It tapers off quite a lot past 4500 though. Hence the need for a larger turbo.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:

Just a question about tuning, did you use the same piggy back from your S/C setup or are you running this without a tune?
    -Dann
    *SOLD* '97 Subaru Legacy GT
    Cobb underdrive pulley, 2 1/4" cat-back with Twin-loop muffler, OBX CAI.
    *SOLD* '06 LGT
    DBA Drilled/Slotted rotors, Grimmspeed Crosspipe, Catless Upipe, CNT Catted Downpipe, Gimmick Motorsports 3" Catback, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 tune.
    -In the Market for a 3rd Gen Leggy-

Level
    Achievements:

Yep, same Emanage. This setup would not be good to run without a tune.

Level
    Achievements:

Added in some stuff on coolant lines, and engine management.

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:

id like to see a dyno sheet on this thing

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:

did you do anything to your fuel rail? i've read on other rails, they do a parallel mod on it but i don't know if the ej25d needs it. also i see in the pic that you have the stock fuel regulator and wondering if an adjustable one is needed. thanks

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:

I'm going to turbo my 99 Legacy Brighton with single port EJ22.

Here is the parts list for my setup

Walbro 255
    02 WRX up pipe, down pipe and cat-back
    02 TMIC and oem bpv
    02 WRX turbo
    WRX crossmember
    12:1 FMU
    manaul boost controller
    wideband o2, boost gauge and oil temp gauge

try to keep 5-6psi with out EM

just want to see that the WRX crossmember is direct bolt on or not and the turbo swaybar is really needed??

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:

Why 12:1 on the FMU?

Quote Originally Posted by BG5

Walbro 255
    02 TMIC and oem bpv
    02 WRX turbo
    WRX crossmember
    manaul boost controller

just want to see that the WRX crossmember is direct bolt on or not and the turbo swaybar is really needed??
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by BG5

Walbro 255
    02 TMIC and oem bpv
    02 WRX turbo
    WRX crossmember
    manaul boost controller

WRX crossmembers have wider control arm spots, requiring spacers, and the steering rack is different*. Get a Legacy Turbo crossmember; it's a simple bolt-on.

Ditch the aftermarket FPR. I don't know where people got the idea that those were the most awesome thing in the world to use, but it's about the most ghetto way to control your fuel possible. If you're getting a $150 wideband, you might as well get at least a S-AFC to control fuel.

I never messed with my fuel rail. If you're engine is that high-strung that a minute difference in fueling is going to hurt something, you'd need to rethink your whole tune.

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:

You'll be happy to know that I just tapped my valve cover today (following your instructions)
    And since I had to replace the valve cover gasket, I did that as well.

Scared myself a bit with the position of the oil drain fixture (same as yours, but I had trouble sliding it back down into position); but I figured it out. I had to go sideways, rear to front, sliding the valve cover across the side of the engine.
    Thanks again for the great how-to!
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast