Thread: DIY 2nd Gen LGT Gauge Cluster Swap. Taking Orders!

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social

DIY 2nd Gen LGT Gauge Cluster Swap. Taking Orders!

You have an older second generation Legacy and you're bored with looking at black gauges and white needles, you find the later model GT and Outback clusters (Gray with red needles) to be more attractive but the cluster won't plug into the harness. Fear not! As I have a solution that requires no modification to the harness and no need for stringing wires everywhere!

I went to the local junkyard and got a gray and red cluster that looked in good shape, got home and tore it apart. I thought at this time since the gauges were out I wanted to de-green the colour. I followed Wiscon_Mark's guide for that:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1123

Once sanded, I took a look at the speedometer. On the back of the speedo, there is a chip that pulls right off. It's being held on with 8 (or so) pins that just push right on to the speedo. The chip with the white connector is from my 1996 Outback (two plugs on the back of the cluster). The blue connector chips are from later model Legacys (only one plug on the back of the cluster).

The white connector chip from my Outback did plug right into the gray and red gauge, I'm sure it will work like that, but with the different resistors and speed readings (140 on older speedos & 120 on later speedos), I wanted to be sure I would be getting an accurate speed reading. Just to be safe, I made a custom wire piece to fit the later model chip with the white connector harness. I wanted this to be plug and play, it's always fun when it's like that

I had two later model chips because the dremel slipped out of my hand and scuffed up the face of the first gray speedo I was working on back to the junkyard to pick up a new one. This was actually a blessing because I discovered the two chips are slightly different. Some Legacys are wired so just one green wire is running to the speedometer, while the second style is a black wire and a white wire, for this modification you want to snag the black and white wires and blue connector to make the custom wiring piece.

The chip on the left is for the harness with one green wire and the one on the right is for the black wire and white wire, I used the one on the right. You can see on the third and fifth prong how these two chips are different.

Another reason why I chose this chip, look how it matches up with the original on the left (Later model chip on the right) The black wire is going to connect to the prong in the center and the white wire is going to connect to the prong on the most right.

Making the wire piece is pretty easy, I used the white connector piece from the old white chip for the plug to the harness. I uscrewed it from the board then soldered it off (I accidently broke mine). You'd have to break off the plastic pieces around the metal prongs because the wire connectors won't fit. You need two connectors, one on the center prong, the other under he number "3", you can faintly see it in the picture, I screwed up a bit on this step and put it under the 1, it will not work if it's hooked up to 1. It should (kind of) look like this when you are done with this step.

Now all you have to do is connect the black wire to the center connector/ prong and the white to the other connector. Crimp and done! :smt026

All you have to do now is put your gray and red gauges in your cluster frame with two plugs. All the wiring for the big three connectors is the same for both clusters so no need to worry there. The tachometer is also good, no need for any custom wiring pieces for it to function correctly. Reassemble and now it's all plug and play, I drove a few miles with this so far and the speedometer is accurate and the RPMs are also. All questions and/or requests are welcome =]
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

Re: DIY cluster gauge swap

It sounds cool... do you have before/after pictures for the whole thing (the gauge cluster installed)?
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan

Level
    Achievements:

I will post pictures today of the whole thing installed. I took all of these with my phone and it doesn't like night shots. lol
    -Nick
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Achievements:

This is the finished product

What the back should look like with the blue connector

Before

After

I drove 100 miles yesterday to visit a friend in Pennsylvania and all of the gauges were accurate with no problems. In this picture, I was going 70 mph and the RPMs were at 2750, just like with the old cluster. The Check engine light is on because my EGR valve refuses to work

Also, I need to add 38,000 miles to this odometer, if anyone know how to do that I'd love to know
    -Nick

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

1) Point car in non-obstacle-laden direction
    2) Depress right foot
    3) Run until left-most gauge reaches E.

Rinse and Repeat
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Very cool write up!

If you want to add miles to your cluster then all you have to do is this.

*********** I am not responsible for what you do with this info, nor am I to blame if you break anything *************
    ********** Removing gauge needles is frustrating and usually when re-installing them they tend to be off ************
    *** By removing the odometer number wheels you may break one of the pressure clips that holds the metal rod down ***

1) Take the cluster out.
    2) Take the clear cover and plastic bezel off
    3) Pull off the needle (be careful this is tricky as well are re-installation)
    4) Unscrew the two speedo screws that are holding the gauge face on.
    5) Remove gauge face (0 - 120mph)
    6) You will see your trip & odometer counter.
    7) Look closely and you will see a metal rod with 6 plastic wheels on them
    8) The metal rod is held in by pressure clips. THESE BREAK !!! DO NOT YANK!!!! Tap the rod from the side with a really fine screw drive and it should slide out horizontally. Then pull up gently and pop it out of the last pressure clip
    9) Now your odometer can move freely.
    10) Set the mileage and then reinstall in the reverse order.

Enjoy
    -Chuck

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Nice mileage Chuck!

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

I was thinking "Whao this is going to be cool" then I saw the pic. I have that cluster already. Was hoping for a "later model" to be later than mine.
    TJ

99 LGT H6 Limited OBP

A little bit of Wrx, a little bit of 2.5RS, a little bit of STi, a LOT of SVX!

Will I ever supercharge this Eg33???

Quote Originally Posted by chuckthefuk
    Cheers and the Baja is not the bastard child.. The Legacy is :-D -Chuck

Level
    Achievements:

Agreed, nice milage :P Thanks Chuck! I killed my original cluster by taking off needles, I'm terrified to do it again. I'm trying to figure out a way to hook it up to some wires and a source of power to run it to put my 38,000 miles on it.

TJ- I have no idea if a later model one would fit, it'd be cool though!
    -Nick

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Its all about rotational pulses.. Thats what the Variable Speed Sensor on the tranny is for.

I cant help you with that so good luck and thank for noticing my mileage. By the winter I should hit 420,000 km :-D

-Chuck

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Quote Originally Posted by httrdd
    I was thinking "Whao this is going to be cool" then I saw the pic. I have that cluster already. Was hoping for a "later model" to be later than mine.
    Well get on it and hook up a BE/BH with the illuminated needles!
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by chuckthefuk
    Its all about rotational pulses.. Thats what the Variable Speed Sensor on the tranny is for.

I cant help you with that so good luck and thank for noticing my mileage. By the winter I should hit 420,000 km :-D

-Chuck
    I'll have to look in the manuals, thank you =] and Congrats! I can't wait to see it! :smt026
    -Nick

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesO.G.SocialCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by httrdd
    Well get on it and hook up a BE/BH with the illuminated needles!
    Or some WRX needles (they're yellow) would be awesome, even if you don't illuminate them.

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassO.G.5000 Experience Points

I'm pretty Noob when it comes to the cluster stuff haha, But like the Little LCD or Dummy panel in the Tach area (like where the CEL light is After) So all that works right? You have a 96 2.5 just like me so if it works for you it should work for me. don't later model legacy's 97-99 i think maybe I'm dreaming but doesn't it say what door is open not just a door is open? if I'm true does that work with this Swap? I'm sorry i most likely don't know my stuff but i guess you live and learn.

This mine, Only pic i had on my Hard drive.

[quote="nikolaus.conrad"]This is the finished product

1999 Legacy GT Wagon 5SPD (Stella)" Race Wagon"
    V7 STI Drivetrain, STI 6MT, R180, Brembos, JDM EJ205 "Big port AVCS", Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, a lot of JDM Parts and much much more...
    2006 Legacy 2.5i Wagon A/T SWP SE "Slow Wagon" 20% Tint, JDM Tails, JDM Rear Fog, GT Leather
    1997 Legacy GT Wagon
    1998 Legacy L Wagon
    @TylerHartman on Instagram
    http://www.facebook.com/hartman.tyler
    Thanks Tyler

Level
    Achievements:

All the lights in the tach area work. But I still have the door alarm like you, the early model 2nd gens didn't come with the cool later model alarm thingy I had a 1991 Legacy that showed which door was open and it was a cool little feature. Unfortunately mine doesn't have that feature and I have no idea how to do it. And putting in a later model cluster won't make the doors light up individually either, tried it, and it doesn't work.
    -Nick

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

What does it take to do a WRX cluster swap? Anyone know.
    1996 Subaru Legacy L

Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesO.G.SocialCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Awards:
    Calendar Award

Quote Originally Posted by Baddog
    What does it take to do a WRX cluster swap? Anyone know.
    Lots of wiring, most likely. Apparently the BE cluster is plug and play. One of the international people (Russia i think) has it in his second gen.

Edit: link viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22167

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

I'll have to try that!
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

Wiscon_Mark- Do it!

Gecko- I found a gauge at my junkyard, are you still looking for one or have you found one?
    -Nick

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Re: DIY 2nd Gen LGT Gauge Cluster Swap. Taking Orders!

Bringing a thread up from the dead but I have a question about the old 140mph speedometer. I am trying to put a 140 speedometer into a 98 legacy that had a one wire speedometer. Do you know where the two wires come from that plug into the speedometer?

Level
    Achievements:

Let me take a look at some parts I have laying around and I'll get back to you ASAP.
    -Nick

Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Well I was going to take a look at some wiring diagrams. I did plug the single wire into the middle terminal and the speedometer jumped up for a second while driving haha.

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points

Hi!??, I have a cluster that has the blue connector, and I bought a Sti240km / h cluster .. I saw it was owned by a forum member. The cluster Sti has the white connector and I think I need to do exactly the same thing you've done.

Not clear to me one thing: You did a "mini wired" or joined the blue piece in the piece before had white connector? Maybe for you it is a silly question, but I commented that I do not speak English, then it is difficult for me to understand everything I read.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    1997 Subaru Legacy BG4 2.0i TW AT PX - JDM Stance