Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OEM JDM BD/BG GT-B/RS Limited photos!

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Re: OEM JDM BD/BG GT-B/RS Limited photos!

Well after having Yamazaki look at my car in person, we both realized some interesting differences.

-very few cars had adjustable intermittent wipers
    -JDM cars have a alarm sensor were the map lights are
    -We are not sure about the rear seat and if the JDM cars fold down or just have a pass through for the BD's
    -my leather seats are in off black, not black like JDM ones
    -USDM cars did not get the grab handles in the later years...

Just a bunch of odd stuff for sure...

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

-very few cars had adjustable intermittent wipers

Both of my GT-Bs had this and I believe most do, but I don't think UKDM do.

-JDM cars have a alarm sensor were the map lights are

It's not an alarm sensor as JDM Subarus of that era don't have alarms fitted from the factory. It's a sensor for the remote locking. There's also a very cool keyless entry system whereby you prgrAmme a PIN and use the drivers handle to enter said PIN which then opens the door. I now leave a spare key INSIDE the car (well hidden of course).

-We are not sure about the rear seat and if the JDM cars fold down or just have a pass through for the BD's

Yes all JDM wagons of this era the seats fold down flat. I have been known to sleep in the back on occasion.

-my leather seats are in off black, not black like JDM ones

I've never seen a JDM legacy of that era with leather seats. Always velour or half alcantara.

Just my observations. We have lots of these JDM models here due to them beIng RHD.
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:
    | Viper silicone intercooler hoses | Silicone vac hoses | Cusco 21mm adj. rear ARB | polly ARB bushes & droplinks front & rear | polly front arm bushes | Poly Steering rack bushes | H&S centre-back | Goodridge braided brake lines* | Black Diamond grooved discs, standard pads | BRC LPG (Autogas) system | LTD bumper & fog lights | Nokian WR A3 winter tyres

devweb

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

Re: OEM JDM GT-B/RS Limited photos?

Quote Originally Posted by hansvonaxion
    If you want the wood trim you might want this?

On second thought half of it wouldnt fit. Shame. You could probably find someone to swap with though, the wood is not cool.

Holy crap Id love to have this. Well the the wood grain parts I don't have I mean and if its the same wood grain as mine.

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

That's an aftermarket kit so I don't think it matches the JDM wood let alone the USDM wood.

Something I just noticed earlier in the thread, the "black aluminium finish with the hint of olive green" is only for the limited, the regular GT-B just gets matte black plastic.

Yes all JDM wagons of this era the seats fold down flat. I have been known to sleep in the back on occasion.
    Actually he's talking about the sedans there (BD), don't know if they had folding rear seats.

Level
    Achievements:

ah sorry, wasn't sure hence why I made sure I said wagons

hansvonaxion, recognise that username
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:
    | Viper silicone intercooler hoses | Silicone vac hoses | Cusco 21mm adj. rear ARB | polly ARB bushes & droplinks front & rear | polly front arm bushes | Poly Steering rack bushes | H&S centre-back | Goodridge braided brake lines* | Black Diamond grooved discs, standard pads | BRC LPG (Autogas) system | LTD bumper & fog lights | Nokian WR A3 winter tyres

devweb

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by arumdevil

Yeah it wasn't that clear in the OP. I thought the same as you at first but I think it was referring to the sedan.

What happened, you take a wrong turn and end up on the wrong side of the pond?

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

To clarify, I have made my "corrections" in red below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead91silvia
    Well after having Yamazaki look at my car in person, we both realized some interesting differences.

-very few cars had adjustable intermittent wipers (talking about sedans here, not wagons. All wagons had intermittent)
    -JDM cars have a alarm sensor were the map lights are (I said it was a keyless infrared sensor, as opposed to keyless radio signal sensor)
    -We are not sure about the rear seat and if the JDM cars fold down or just have a pass through for the BD's (again, talking about sedans here [which is why he says "BD"]. All wagons have fold down obviously)
    -my leather seats are in off black, not black like JDM ones (the only trims that offered leather seats were the GTs and the 250T [I'm not counting Grandwagons or Lancasters])

(We also noticed that the US cars got lights by the vanity mirrors. I thought that was cool)
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Yeah, I was a little vague... But yes, Yamazaki is right and I agree...

-Few USDM cars got the adjustable wipers (includes all USDM, L, GT, OB, not just sedan though).
    -The key thing, I couldnt remember what it was called... I knew it had to do with keys and locking and all the fun stuff... hahah
    -Yes, I forget some people dont know body/chassis codes.... my bad... lol... Reference was to Sedans...

Motivates me to look at some more stuff and see what other little things are different that we have missed... Oh yeah, light visors to me are no big thing, but apparently it was only the US that got them. Can someone verify this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by YamazakiSubaru
    To clarify, I have made my "corrections" in red below.

-very few cars had adjustable intermittent wipers (talking about sedans here, not wagons. All wagons had intermittent)
    -JDM cars have a alarm sensor were the map lights are (I said it was a keyless infrared sensor, as opposed to keyless radio signal sensor)
    -We are not sure about the rear seat and if the JDM cars fold down or just have a pass through for the BD's (again, talking about sedans here [which is why he says "BD"]. All wagons have fold down obviously)
    -my leather seats are in off black, not black like JDM ones (the only trims that offered leather seats were the GTs and the 250T [I'm not counting Grandwagons or Lancasters])

(We also noticed that the US cars got lights by the vanity mirrors. I thought that was cool)

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

my canadian GT BD9's have adjustable wipers.. (but i believe all canadian subarus are USDM feature spec)

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Quote Originally Posted by chuckthefuk
    my canadian GT BD9's have adjustable wipers.. (but i believe all canadian subarus are USDM feature spec)
    If it was built in Indiana, they should be US spec, other then a few little things like maybe running lights. I know S13's in Canada had them, but we didnt.

It was mostly just the Limited that had the adjustable wipers. Some of the L's and LSi's I think I had them also, but not many.

Level
    Achievements:

I was of course referring to JDM models (or UK models where I mentioned) as I have no experience of USDM models at all (well, only one brief up-close encounter last may). I thought you were reffering to JDM above hence my replies.

Well, my mother is american so I have dual citizenship, but that's really nothing to do with it as it happens. I was searching on google images for photos of GT-Bs, can't remember the exact search terms now but they brought me to this thread which I found interesting, and thought the OP might have a use for some parts from my old Limited, so I signed up. Total randomness
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

I was of course referring to JDM models (or UK models where I mentioned) as I have no experience of USDM models at all (well, only one brief up-close encounter last may). I thought you were reffering to JDM above hence my replies.

Well, my mother is american so I have dual citizenship, but that's really nothing to do with it as it happens. I was searching on google images for photos of GT-Bs, can't remember the exact search terms now but they brought me to this thread which I found interesting, and thought the OP might have a use for some parts from my old Limited, so I signed up. Total randomness
    Wrong turns are good! I dont think we have too many people here from the UK....

And what parts do you have for that car anyway? I have most of what I need, but I'm just wondering. I also have a friend with a Wagon that might be interested. Last part I looking for right now is the sedan/saloon rear window with wiper... and maybe side trim...

Level
    Achievements:

most of the good stuff is gone, I have some parts stripped off for spares or sale. The rest of it's going to the scrapyard (junkyard) next week (long since overdue). It's a wagon (sedans/saloons were known as RS or RS-B rather than GT/GT-B) so I have a wiper but I'm sure it wouldn't fit a sedan rear window.
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:

You have your avatar and sig up, looks like you're gonna stick around.

I know someone who's after the plastic moulding on the doors (the one about halfway down) if you still have it.

Level
    Achievements:

yep still got that.... send me a PM with exact details of what and I'll be sure to get it off before the car is taken away (if I can get it off without damaging!)
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

yep still got that.... send me a PM with exact details of what and I'll be sure to get it off before the car is taken away (if I can get it off without damaging!)
    HA! Thats my best friend thats trying to get the side trim! I think he PMed you about it. To get it off is a pain, but not too bad. Most likely you will brake the clips, but thats not to big of a deal. Just make sure to slide a knife or something down the side and dont pull to it too far out. They will warp, but man that would be really cool! I'm kinda wanting some now!

If you still have:
    -Fender side markers
    -power folding mirrors
    -trunk/boot badges
    -front bumper
    -tail lights and center
    -side trim
    -mud guards
    -roof rails
    -grill
    -headlights
    -seats

These are all parts people are looking for, if you had the time to pull off and ship, that would make a lot of happy Legacy owners over here! The rear wiper for the rear is different then a BD though... Sadly... I'm sure there might be some cool odd bits on the inside as well. Would you be interested?

Just an idea... Maybe make a few bucks and help some people get cool parts!

Level
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:

Arumdevil, could you show us a photo of the Dual-Fog Selector Switch? I'm looking to source a GT-B Limited Bumper and may be interested in your switch, though I'm not sure what it actually looks like.

EDIT: Found a picture in Reuben's thread (photo credit is his, I hope he will allow me to reproduce his image here):

Photo originally found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9872&start=60

Level
    Achievements:

yep that's the one. I'm afraid I already sold the switch to someone else on here.....
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:

what are those clocks? not the OEM JDM clocks that's for sure. not GT-B ones anyway. Sti so I'm assuming impreza clocks.
    1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:

yep that's the one. I'm afraid I already sold the switch to the OP of this thread.
    Ah, thanks for the info!

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

STi impreza version 3/4 .. mechanical speedo...

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

yep that's the one. I'm afraid I already sold the switch to the OP of this thread.
    umm... that wasnt me... LOL...

Level
    Achievements:

umm... that wasnt me... LOL...
    ah sorry man, and to think all this time I thought it was you....

1996 GT-B (JDM) with:

devweb

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Nope. I was gonna get one from a guy in NZ but I ended up not. It's ok, I'm going to do something different anyway.

Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

I was the one that bought the switch!

Level
    Achievements:

I have a GT-B Limited bumper on the way from Japan, woot! It's from the same ebay seller that Dead91silvia spotted selling Limited bumpers and various other GT-B stuff. As the JDM bumper beams are considerably lighter than those of USDM, I am interested in knowing if there is a way to "Frankenstein" a JDM Limited bumper cover over a USDM bumper beam in order to maintain the higher standard of crashworthiness of the USDM car. This is for my wife's daily driver LGT Wagon, and I am adamant about not downgrading the car's safety. (I briefly mention this scenario in Brad's '97 Legacy 2.5 GT wagon Member Rides thread.)

If this were possible, I suspect that the stock GT bumper beam will not make a good fit to the Limited bumper cover, due in part to the different profile between the two designs. However, I wonder if perhaps the bumper beam of a Legacy Outback/SUS might make for a possible starting point for this fitment. The Outback bumper and the JDM GT-B Limited bumper have a very similar external profile. Mounting points for the JDM dual foglight brackets would have to be fabricated.

JDM GT-B Limited

USDM Outback/SUS 96-99

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

I can tell you from unfortunate experience that the front bar will not provide additional safety.. Its used for low impact bumper to bumper cost effective insurance methods..

I had a JDM bar and was involved in a head on collision with barely any issue from the impact since its not the bar that absorbs the energy its the crumple zones..

But to answer you question.. yes its possible to modify the USDM bar to accommodate the JDM bumper, however this will involve lots of grinding and possibly some re-welding. Overall they are the same shape they just happen to be made out of different thickness (jdm is lighter and thinner, usdm is heady and thicker)

When you get the bumper try a test fit... Majority of people who swap JDM bumpers go with the JDM bar since it weighs nothing and safety is an after thought.

-Chuck

Level
    Achievements:

True, I really don't think the bumper beam will be providing much (if any) real protection if the impact is serious enough to cause injury. It may help protect your radiator etc in a less serious collision though.

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

and the timing all that money for bearings, belts, pulleys..

Level
    Achievements:

Tell me about it, just had my timing belt etc done, plus both inner CV boots... $1,800!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast