Thread: X360 4GB question: Anyone been banned for using an older HD?

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

X360 4GB question: Anyone been banned for using an older HD?

So I see that you can easily drop the 120GB HD's into the X360 Slim models - they just drop onto the SATA connector once you remove the old drive from it's previous model drive casing.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/JW-ow2GHjvc

I can't find any reports of anyone being banned from XLive for this, and I can't see why it would even be a problem. My biggest issue is that I don't want the SATA connector inside the slim Xbox to get worn out by a HD that is essentially free-floating inside the case.

EDIT: Found that they are making drive enclosures specifically for this. Sweet!
    http://www.amazon.com/hard-Drive-enclos ... B004YHZREE

Any suggestions or additional info?
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Re: X360 4GB question: Anyone been banned for using an older

For $7 you can't go wrong! And as far as I know the data is the exact same (i.e. no reason for you to be banned), but xbox likes nickle and diming its customers, so the other method I know of for transferring data is through the special normal xbox ---> slim xbox cord.
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

Level
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

That aforementioned cord goes for 20 bucks new, but you could find it used, I'm sure. A lot of people bought theirs, used them once, and then either traded them in, or are probably selling them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-360-GARY-U ... 227wt_1392

It's an offbrand, but it's cheap and looks like it'd work fine.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

So, I did it. Over Black Friday I picked up a new Xbox Slim 4GB, a Kinect Sensor and 4 games for $110. (I had traded a bunch of games, an iPhone 3G and had giftcards too).

I dismantled my 60GB Xbox 360 drive, popped it into the new Xbox Slim and attached put in a bit of foam to help absorb any vibrations. A youtube clip demos it here:

So far, I've logged a lot of hours on the new console (which, btw, still runs extremely hot but at least has a proper vent fan above the CPU and GPUs), and no adverse affects.

The old 250GB drives are now coming up for sale via refurbish dealers for $50 so I might take advantage of those and upgrade even further. No need to hack a drive or buy the new Xbox 300GB drives that M$oft is pushing.

In a couple of weeks I have a cheap ebay drive holder that is coming to replace the foam.

I also found that M$oft is releasing a new transfer cable, that has a regular Xbox 360 connector and the updated Slim HD connector. This makes it easier for people who are upgrading from the Xbox Slim 250GB to the new 320GB, but all you have to do to use the old transfer cable with the new Xbox Slim is put your new drive in the console, and plug your old Xbox drive into an old Xbox drive cage that has their SATA to Xbox adaptor.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the new console. It's smaller, built better, and the power pack is much lighter and smaller. The console runs much quieter, but it still runs hot. It's still worth putting it in a well ventilated area.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

I thought the silent function alone was worth the purchasing of the new xbox. I can deal with the processor lag, and the limited potential of the game disk (when compared to PS3), but I hate loud consoles and my xbox (older, 60gig model) is fairly noisy.
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good