Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Re: H6 or WRX/XT swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer
    You have the mechanical cajones... do this:

EZ30R + 6MT + LinkPlus ECU.
    That's all you'd need (besides maybe a different rear diff to keep your ratios solid).
    And the $$.

Does that negate obd2 testing? If so, would there be a solution to have it tested at inspection time?
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

"I looked for a 3.0L that came with a M/T, and found the 3.0R SpecB ('04-'06) that was a 3.0L 6MT. All of those came with the EZ30R. If you could source one of those, you should be able to have your cake and eat it too. And if you get the '06 you can have the Si-Drive as well!"

The Can-Bus OBII operated the 04-06 manual H6 EZ30R. Can-bus is basically a protocol used by many modern cars today to simplify wiring/reduce costs. Think of it as like a mini network system in your car. It transmits information over 2 wires that may have previously used, say 20 wires or more. The info is fed through an integrated unit that is then sent out to components that need it based on priority of the information. Like he said though there are many components that are required to do the swap.
    If you really want a EZ30R in your car I'd look to go stand alone Link ECU I think can run it and you may be able to get a plug and play unit which would be highly convenient. The other options are do the EZ30D in your car, do it in a BE/BH, or do the EZ30R in a BL/BP and just do a tranny swap.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

OK, lets say that "someone" wanted to do a EJ25 turbo swap (EJ255/7, EJ207/EJ25 short block)

complicating factors
    - variable valve timing/lift
    - drive by wire throttle
    - immobalizer

1) The 2004 STi didnt have immobalizer but was DBW correct?

2) It seems the only way around AVCS and DBW is a wrx swap w/EJ25 shortblock?

3) Can you disable immobalizer using this? Read some promising info ...
    http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=53

4) The standard assumption is that one would use a factory ECU to keep costs down. But for a junk yard USDM swap is it really cheaper? The JY will charge for the engine, turbo, TMIC, ECU, harness etc ($3500+ right?). It would be much cheaper to buy a JDM clip ... but the 2.5's are rare finds. The hybrid option is even more expensive. EJ207 ($3000) + STi shortblock ($1700)=$4700 without misc costs.

So what am I missing?

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Why would you want an Sti shortblock? Are you building a 600hp monster? If so, the block would need to be sleeved with new pistons. Why not just build a hybrid 2.2 block, 2.5 dohc (or ej20X heads) and go from there? As has been said before, it's the best bang for your buck, especially if your car already has DOHC.
    I've been to boost and back again my friends... and it was good

SLi Supporter
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Recommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

1) The 2004 STi didn't have immobilizer but was DBW correct?
    -- YES.

-- You can modify the camshafts so they essentially elinate the oil ports and in the end run as regular cams.
    --> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... light=AVCS

--> From what my tuners have told me a some good ol' googling.. No you can not remove the immobilizer check function from the ROM. Apparently "Ignition switch, key, gauge cluster and the matched ECU" are needed. You can avoid this by simply using a 2004 STi ECU which never had the immobilizer. This will work with 04-07 STi harnesses.

4) The standard assumption is that one would use a factory ECU to keep costs down. But for a junk yard USDM swap is it really cheaper? The JY will charge for the engine, turbo, TMIC, ECU, harness etc ($3500+ right?). It would be much cheaper to buy a JDM clip ... but the 2.5's are rare finds. The hybrid option is even more expensive. EJ207 ($3000) + STi shortblock ($1700)=$4700 without misc costs.

--Your numbers are skewed ... If you are looking for a real swap then buying a t-bone/rear end write off / salvage title is the way to go. Every nut bolt clip connector etc....

You can simply purchase wrx heads + intake manifold + supporting accessories .. attachd to a Ej255/57

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social

Lift a 3.6 from a Tribeca and find the largest shoehorn available to stuff it under your hood.

Lol kidding but I still vote for the H6, I hear they're very smooth and put out just as much power as a WRX. It wins my vote, even though there will be no rumbles
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison
    Why would you want an Sti shortblock? Are you building a 600hp monster? If so, the block would need to be sleeved with new pistons. Why not just build a hybrid 2.2 block, 2.5 dohc (or ej20X heads) and go from there? As has been said before, it's the best bang for your buck, especially if your car already has DOHC.
    No plans for 600hp

From my search results 2.5 turbo clips seem to be rare. So an option would be to buy a 2.0 clip and then swap a 2.5 short block. This would eliminate DBW, immobalizer, and AVCS.

You can buy a STi shortblock new from subaru for $1700. My bud recently bought a 2004 WRX with about 200k kms on it. He decided to just pick up the short block. The purchase price for the car was around $4500. I almost feel like a fool for dropping another cent into my lego.

Level
    Achievements:

1) The 2004 STi didn't have immobilizer but was DBW correct?
    --> YES.
    ^Thanks

--> You can modify the camshafts so they essentially elinate the oil ports and in the end run as regular cams.
    --> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... light=AVCS
    ^Interesting ...

--> From what my tuners have told me a some good ol' googling.. No you can not remove the immobilizer check function from the ROM. Apparently "Ignition switch, key, gauge cluster and the matched ECU" are needed. You can avoid this by simply using a 2004 STi ECU which never had the immobilizer. This will work with 04-07 STi harnesses.
    ^figured ... thanks

-->Your numbers are skewed ... If you are looking for a real swap then buying a t-bone/rear end write off / salvage title is the way to go. Every nut bolt clip connector etc....
    ^No doubt everyone would love to find a grandma driven t-boned 2004 STi, the problem is they are not in abundant supply. Maybe part of the issue is that there are 5 million people in the GTA (5 times the population of edmonton, or calgary), and 8 million in southern ON (more than double the population of the entire province of AB). Its also possible that there are fewer idiots in ON but around here WRX's and STi's are usually front hit ... HARD. Oddly, "grandmas" dont usually pony up for the STi over the forrester. My goal is to find a deal on a complete car so far the only ones I've found are $8-14k and very far away. I will keep looking, but also wanting a plan B.

-->You can simply purchase wrx heads + intake manifold + supporting accessories .. attachd to a Ej255/57
    ^another possibility for sure

What about a complete USDM engine + aftermarket ECU (with base map)?
    Could you pick up a Link ECU for $1500 with harness?
    If I was lucky this would be $4500ish all in and presumably quicker wiring.

Thanks guys your input is appreciated

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaus.conrad
    Lift a 3.6 from a Tribeca and find the largest shoehorn available to stuff it under your hood.

Lol kidding but I still vote for the H6, I hear they're very smooth and put out just as much power as a WRX. It wins my vote, even though there will be no rumbles
    From what I have read the 3.6 is heavily TQ biased = bad for 5MT. This is way too much money to spend for WRX power levels.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Love how this has spawned possible motor swap discussion!

I'm actually thinking about bolting turbo parts on my NA EJ25... It's got 270K, I figured it would be an honorable way for it to go out! haha

I'm going to be looking into getting a WRX, STi, or XT donor car. I'm hoping maybe by the end of summer or maybe fall, I can do thing.

What I'm wondering is if the car I get is DBW, can an older intake manifold be swapped out for a cable?

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

DeadSilvia, I also wonder the same thing about the DBW subject. Only I have my heart set on the EZ30R more then any EJ motor now. The "Dirty Thirty" route is really the road less traveled and some pioneers need to figure out some nice mods for that motor. IMO, the EZ30R is simply the best motor that Subaru has ever designed. Timing chain FTW!

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaus.conrad

I want a STi6spd and the 3.6! that is my dream swap
    if I wanted to lower my car I'd have gotten a GT!
    outbacks go UP^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12