Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken brake line... AND HOW TO FIX IT !!

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Re: Broken brake line... NEED HELP removing lines from front

sooooo... yeah, the dash would need to come out to take that box out...

What I would do is get a box cutter or something and cut the insulation and pull it out if you can.... or pull the dash.... I know, that sucks balls...

Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

What a pain in the ass. This fuckin sucks. I'm thinking I might as well give it a go at flaring the brake line before messing around anymore with this BS. Subaru.. you SUCK. Thanks for nothing!

I'm wondering if I pulled the blower motor, if I would be able to see anything behind it? Or is the dash just behind it. This totally sucks.

Do you think its possible to get the right side of the dash loose enough where I can just get my hands in there without removing the entire thing?
    --99 Legacy GT Limited Edt. (Silver ! )

99 Subaru Legacy FSM Download:
    http://tinyurl.com/2u8cbx

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Well, you dont need the complete dash out, just out far enough to work on the box. There are some brackets you need to pull off the dash brace I think, but it should only be 2 nuts/bolts to get the box lose. Thats really all you need is it to be lose so you can get the insulation out from behind it, but I also have the feeling that you might need the box completely out of your way and that is for lack of a better description, a bitch...

Subaru has done some odd things to make life difficult, but most of them are things you dont have to ever work on. I have a feeling this is one of them... Like my heater core, it stupid how much of a pain they are.

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, talk about it. Pulled the E-brake last week and what a MISERY that was. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

While bolts do you think I should pull to see if i can get the dash loose enough to let it come forward a little? I can almost FEEL where the pipes go through the firewall.. i just need enough room to get my hand in there basically. Then comes the fun part of trying to bend a line and feed it through. I can only imagine what fun that will be!

Level
    Achievements:

Are you sure there is no other way to pull this box??:

When i loosen that nut, the whole thing shakes around. I can see some smaller screws on it as well, and it looks like it could split in half. If i could just remove the bottom half, I would have enough room.

EDIT:

Looks like it MIGHT be possible to remove the lower half. They call it the 'intake door motor'.. whatever the HELL that means. Here is what I'm talking about:

Not sure exactly WHAT that part is.. but it looks like its the part that is in the way. Maybe I can remove just that bottom half and get enough room.

Anyone know WHAT it is though. 'Intake door motor'???

Level
    Achievements:

So what the heck is the 'heater duct' or 'evaporator'? Anyone know?

I found the top screws to the 'intake door motor'. They are shown in the picture below. Not sure how to get the zip tie things off the threads of the screws however, and also, not sure WHAT would happen if I undid those 3 screws and the electrical clip. Wonder if it would just split apart or something??:

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

You are putting your self through so much extra work. Did you ever get the brake line off on the other side where it goes into the 4 way block? Because if you replace the line with a stock one you are going to have to get that out too...
    Flaring is not that hard. I don't know who told you you need a torch but I have done tons of brake jobs and have never once heated up a line to flair it nor have I ever heard of that before. Also like I said before make the initial cut with a pair of side cutters, it crips off the line and is quick which minimises fluid loss. Then use tubing cutters to make your square cut. Like this:

Then use a ISO/Bubble flair kit to make your flares. (Note: a double flare is a domestic flair which is not used much anymore, iso/bubble is metric and I am 90% sure that is what you will need)
    02 Legacy GT BE 5MT now with boost!! SOLD!
    04 RSTI
    98 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, I got the line out of the block.

What are side cutters? And I was told to heat the line to anneal the metal making it soft again. Most people seem to get bad flares because they harden the lines. Maybe a sharp pipe cutter would work okay.

Also, can anyone clarify if its BUBBLE flare, or DOUBLE? I thought it was double flare. I know Mercedes uses BUBBLE flare, and those take a special tool. I heard subaru were DOUBLE flare. Hopefully someone can clarify before I buy lines and or rent a double flare tool. Would suck if the flares were BUBBLE.

EDIT: Actually I can just look at the flare I cut off. I think I also have a Mercedes BUBBLE flare as well. I'll try and get a picture of the subaru one.

EDIT: Looks like its a double flare. I knew these didnt look as round as mercedes lines. Here are some pictures, and then a comparison.

Double Flare off my subaru:

A comparison between ISO (BUBBLE flare), and metric DOUBLE flare.

Level
    Achievements:

Bubble flare does not use a special tool, it is just a different kit than the double flare kit.

Side cutters, diagnal cutters, wire cutters, what ever you want to call them:

And I don't know what to tell you about the heating thing, like I said I have done lots of brake brake line replacements, I was never taught to heat the lines and I never have and I haven't had a problem.
    04 RSTI
    98 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

Alright, maybe I'll give it a go. I wanted to replace the entire line.. but at this point, I feel like I'm just wasting time. I wonder if I tried to take that cover out.. the last piece im up to, if it would come out.. and if that would work. Hmm.

I didn't mean it required a special tool, I just meant that BUBBLE flares use a different kit. And they usually dont have them available to rent for free and are pretty rare. Hopefully someone can confirm that Subaru are in fact DOUBLE flare.

Thanks!

Level
    Achievements:

I CANT FLARE A BRAKE LINE TO SAVE MY LIFE! Seems nearly IMPOSSIBLE. I just keep bending the flare in weird ways, and it wont sit flat on the line and create a damn flare!! This is on my TEST line. I couldn't even IMAGINE this being possible while on the car. Holy crap. I think I might have to pick up the NAPA special tool (SER 161A). Looks like it may work better than this crap rental from autozone.

Anyone have some tips for me? MAN this sucks.

I cut the line with a tubing cutter, deburred the inside and out of the line, then try using the tool. Every time I start tightening down the tool, it will just bend the end of the line and not create a proper 'bubble'. W-T-F.

Level
    Achievements:

On another note.. does anyone know how I can pull these clips off the threads of these bolts sticking through:

I want to try and attempt to remove the plastic box around the heater core area and see if it will give me enough room, or if its even possible. Ordered the special NAPA tool for the flaring and it wont be here till tomorrow anyways.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Use a looooong flat screwdriver to remove those clips... I like your persistence for doing it the right way!

Your also going to need to remove some brackets if your trying to get the box out, but they shouldnt be too much of a pain... Good Luck bro!

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

Good lord. You are making this WAY too difficult. If you had just done what I suggested you do, your interior would still be installed and you'd have the line finished up by now.

But hey, it's your knuckles. You do realize you're going to have brake fluid spilling out anyway, but you could have avoided that by bleeding the system out of the broken section...it's a hydraulic fluid, it only works when it's under pressure.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:

I did let it bleed out over the course of 2 days by dripping. Stepped on the pedal a couple of times too, but I don't think that really did much except let more fluid enter the lines. LOL.

I might end up just flaring the lines at the back. I took a look at the box today and doesn't look like its gonna want to come out.

Bought a NAPA brake flaring tool that looks like it should make this easy. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. The autozone rental tool was a POS and gave me the MOST uneven flare i've ever seen in my life. Hell, I couldn't even get the first part of the flare done with it. It was a total pain in the ass. So I just spent the $30 and got a 'in-line double flare tool' from napa. Looks way better and easier to use.

I'll report back tomorrow. Ideally I'd love to replace the entire line.. but I think I would have to pull the dash. At this point if I can get a proper flare using the tool i bought, I'll be happy with that.

More to come!

Level
    Achievements:

I'm telling you, you can make your union with a double flare, but you cannot attach it to the 4-way block or hose, where ever you are going with the hose, with a double flare. You are going to need a bubble flare for that.

And are you sure that you did not have too much of the line sticking out of the holding tool when you were trying to make your flares. Getting the right amount of line to work with is crucial for making a good flare.
    04 RSTI
    98 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

I think your confused. BUBBLE flares are for EURO cars, not japanese. Japanese cars use double flare. I took the connector OUT of the 4-way block, and its DOUBLE FLARE Metric. Not Bubble. Not sure where you are getting your info from, but I'm looking RIGHT at the flare that came out of the connector. I've NEVER seen a japanese car use ISO/BUBBLE flare. The only cars I know that use BUBBLE flares are Mercedes, and other German cars. Everywhere else online also says that subaru uses Metric DOUBLE flare M10x1.0 which is exactly what came out of the 4-way block.

The tool I was using to make the double flare was a piece of junk autozone tool. Impossible to use on the car, let alone off the car. I'm not sure how people even use those things without securing it in a vise really. Huge pain in the ass. I bought one that looks like this:

Here is a video of it:

Bubble flares look like they literally have a BUBBLE end, the double flares are also whats known as an 'inverted' flare, and does not have a round part to it. I know they don't look the same because i've taken bubble flares off a Mercedes before and it looks much different.

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by d1giPhux
    Everywhere else online also says that subaru uses Metric Bubble flare M10x1.0 which is exactly what came out of the 4-way block.

Yes bubble flare…
    I know the difference between a double flare and a bubble flare. Like I said I do this for a job. In the 5 or 6 months that I have worked I have only once made a double flare for a vehicle and it was an older domestic vehicle. Granted we were a domestic shop and worked almost exclusively on gm and ford cars. However if domestic cars are using a flare that is considered metric, I have a hard time believing that japaneese cars don't.
    And I'm now done with this thread, I'm not posting in it anymore.
    04 RSTI
    98 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

ARGH!!! I meant DOUBLE flare. LOL. Gonna have to go back and edit that now.

I even asked for the correct fittings at a local store and the guy said 'what car is it for', and i told him 'subaru'.. he said 'okay, you will want the METRIC inverted DOUBLE flare fitting then'.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure subaru take METRIC double flare. I'll call the subaru shop today and see what they say. However, the fitting I took out of the 4-way connector was a double flare. I will try and find one of my mercedes flares to take a picture of to compare later on as well.

Here are some links I found with info about the brake line connector types:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t137766-w ... u-use.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t75174- ... thing.html

I'm not trying to piss you off.. I just want to confirm for SURE that these are the correct brake fittings. They do NOT look like the 'bubble' flare that I have taken off a Mercedes before. Not sure if there is such thing as a japanese BUBBLE flare. The fittings I took out of my 4-way connector definitely look like the inverted double flare fittings I bought from the store. I'll call subaru later and ask them if they can tell me.

If anyone else has an opinion or fact about this.. please chime in! Gotta get it right before screwing something up!

Level
    Achievements:

Okay, got a direct answer from the guys over at subarupartsforyou.com:

So looks like they DO in fact use Metric Double Flare. Cool.. at least I didn't waste my money on a tool I didnt need!

Now that I figured that out.. I can get rolling on this! Hope this NAPA tool serves me well. Picking it up in a couple hours.

Level
    Achievements:

Got one line flared with a connector on it.

Wondering if I should do the other line as well since it too is quite rusty looking and looks like it might be the next one to blow.

Think i should do it while I'm in here??

Level
    Achievements:

Might as well... but I would finish up the line you are doing first.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, I'm gonna get the first one done first.

Here is what I've done so far.

Comparison between purchased brake line that was pre-flared, autozone shit tool flare, and NAPA SER 161A Tool Flare. The NAPA tool KICKS ASS and I can make a flare in less than 1 minute with it!:

Brake line flare tests comparison:

Brake line piece rought cut from bottom of car and the tool I used to cut it (as suggested):

Cutting the line with pipe cutter:

After deburring inside of line using knife:

Filed outside edge of line to deburr outside:

Brake fitting placed on line BEFORE creating double flare:

NAPA Double Flare tool placed on line (showing insert):

Another view of insert and brake line inside tool:

Tightening down NAPA tool:

Be sure to use vice grips to hold tool while tightening down. Must be PRETTY tight:

Placing insert into brake line:

Threading NAPA tool onto brake line holder:

First part of double flare created:

Second half of double flare created:

Completed double flare on line:

Brake union tightened down to newly created double flare:

WELL.. thats all I have for now! More to come tomorrow!

Level
    Achievements:

Well done!
    - Roger - Site Admin

Level
    Achievements:

Got one line fully installed. Went through 3 test lines before I found out the proper way to bend them so they would fit into place! Pretty crazy the way subaru made it. Definitely not easy. Pictures to come on this post later!

Level
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

This is awesome, I'm going to add it to the *new* threads of note sticky when I get one made.

Way to be persistent.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Not bad! Did you get the other part of the line from a J/K yet?

Level
    Achievements:

What do you mean?

I got 1 line totally installed and ready to go. Gonna rip the other rusted line out tomorrow and flare / connect it to a new line!

Can't wait to be done this. Gonna make sure everything is sorted out tomorrow and then onto bleeding it and hoping I did a decent job!

Level
    Achievements:

We'll, got the 2nd side cut and flared.. but damn, bending the lines for this other side is MISERABLE. Its really a hard line to bend. Gonna post pictures once I get something that fits. Ugh! Can't wait to be done this!

Level
    Achievements:

Some updates. Got both lines done. Now just need to bleed it. Here are some pictures:

Rusted 2nd line compared to newly replaced 1st line:

A view from the underside of the car.
    (This is where it blew from underneath the car. This area is right below the passenger seat under the car.)Compare old to new:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now I will show the entire process again on the 2nd brake line. I decided to replace this one as well since it was rusted to hell:

Cut brake line 2:

Brake line 2 deburred inside and outside using file and utility knife:

Brake line 2 flared (inverted dlare aka double flare):

Brake union screwed into brake line 2:

Brake line 2 connected underneath car, and then bent in a diagonal line towards brake line 2 in the car:

Brake line 2 bent again to go towards brake line union and other brake line 2 inside car:

I then cut the new brake line 2 coming up from under the car to get rid of extra length:

I marked the line where it would be about halfway into the union connector. Then I cut it off, deburred, and installed brake fitting onto line:

BRAKE FLARING:

I had to flare the new line so i put the NAPA double flaring tool on the line I just cut:

This picture shows that the line should stick out as much as the first step on the tool piece:

DONT FORGET to put your brake fitting on before putting on the flaring tool!:

First step of double flare created:

Second step of double flare created:

Double flare completed and tool removed:

New line fitting screwed into new union:

BRAKE LINE #2 COMPLETED!!!:

Brake lines finished (under car view). Scary how rusty the other lines look now huh?

NOTE: WHEN BENDING LINES, BEND LINES LIKE THIS FIRST, then install into car and bend the rest of the way. This is the EASIEST way to do it that I found and works on BOTH lines. I also wasted a LOT of line trying to figure this out. First make the very tight 'C' shape, and then screw into the 4-way box beneath car. Then bend/adjust top of the line inside car:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So.. theres my huge update. Now I just need to test for leaks. Then clip the lines back into place, then add fluid and bleed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast