Thread: CFK's 92 SS. Project (New Pics & Dyno #'s. Jan 14)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New User
    Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

CFK's 92 SS. Project (New Pics & Dyno #'s. Jan 14)

Hi, New to the forum. Been on Legacy Central since I got it. Time for some Copy Paste Action

I Purchased this severely weathered whinestone 92 SS 5MT in october (2010 ) and with the guidance of Legacy Central have been nursing him back to health, and he will return stronger than ever.

Modifications:

Engine

- EJ22T (240 000 Kms)
    - TD05-16G
    - RobTune ECU
    - JDM 440CC Greytop's
    - 07 WRX TMIC W/ Disected Perrin Y-Pipe
    - De-Snorkeled, K&N, Turbo Silencer Delete
    - Winton Motors BOV Adapter
    - 2 Shiney Ebay Catch Cans
    - 3" TBE. Megan DP, Custom No-Cat Mid & Sheep Dog Muffler
    - Hallman Pro MBC
    - Innovative LC-1 WB Controller
    - JDM Greytop 440cc's

Chassis

- 3.90 R160 LSD W/ TIC Bushings
    - TWM Performance Short Throw Shifter
    - STI Short Shift Kit W/ Kartboy Bushings
    - Prodrive Pero-R 17x7 Wheels
    - Speedline Preo-R ST2 17x7 Wheels
    - Simmons FR90 16x7.5 3-piece Wheels
    - JDM Steel 4-Pots
    - Whiteline F&R 22mm Swaybars
    - Audi & Whiteline Endlinks
    - 05 STI Suspension (modified )
    - Godspeed Lateral links and Trailing Arms (hiem joints)

Exterior
    - De-Rusted
    - Nissan Moss Green
    - Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps
    - 07 S206 V-Limited F. Lip ( After Paint )
    - Projector Fogs W/ 3000K HID ( After Paint )
    Interior

- Recaro Trophy Seats
    - Sti Aluminum Shift Bezel
    - STI Titanium Shift Knob
    - Momo 280mm Team S. Wheel.
    - Podi Boost Gauge
    - Innovate Motorsports Dual Oil Gauge

The original plan was just to buy an AWD winter beater/daily driver so I didn't have to rely on my work truck or wife's car while I built my 84 Jetta GLI Coupe. The " Budget " was supposed to be $2000 inc. any repairs that needed to make it roadworthy. Since I had limited myself to AWD, there was only about 4 cars that applied in my search, any of which were gonna be tough to find for that cheap. I really wanted a Audi Coupe Quattro since I already own a B5 A4 Avant and the Jetta . Of coarse my other option being a Legacy which I had already previously owned a pearl white 90 5MT SDN. Sadly it met it's demise when a Eagle Talon had ran a red light T-boning me at about 90 km/h. I was not wearing my seat belt therefore I stood still and the car moved it's windsheild into my skull :smt010

So after some CL searching I found a mint 92 4EAT SS for $1200, unfortunately on my way out to look at it the first person to see it immediately purchased it . After another few weeks of searching I found a very rough 92 5MT SS that the owner had listed for $1800 leaking water through the sunroof a litres of oil onto the manifold, CEL's, flickering oil light and rust, dents and flaking clearcoat on the body. I had to have it !!! Both he and I knew the rarity of the 5MT SS and I just can't say no, so we settled on $1200 (probably still to much, but I don't care)

So I then replaced the TB,WP, Cam,crank/oil pump & VC seals. Dissasembled,cleaned & tightened the screws on the oil pump. Did the idler & tensioner bearings. Tune-up & all fluids changed. Cleaned the IAC & TB. Installed a 07 WRX TMIC, MBC, Boost Gauge, re-piped the PCV system W/ 2- Catch can's, Snorkel & silencer delete W/ K&N.

Then onto some 05 STI Suspension

Slight Drop

Stripped the interior, dropped the headliner and sunroof assembly to re-seal. Got some cheap 99 Legacy seats & wheels. Shampooed nasty interior.

Found a custom 3" Rocket Rally exhaust off Patrick Richards street car, ordered a DP and then decided I might as well throw a TD04 on while im there, so I got one as well as a Perrin silicone Y-pipe & Tight radius 90 to replace my cheap E-bay Y-pipe & copper piping.

Sounds like a bloody Lysolm Supercharger for some reason

So that's my progress thus far. After I recover from my hernia surgery I will be installing the new Y-pipe, TD04, DP, HF Cat W/ Flex joint + Exhaust. FCD, Innovative LC-1 Wideband gauge. Walbro 255 & possibly a Aeromotive Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RR FPR) leaving the stock injectors and seeing if that will work without going with the JDM 440cc Sidefeeds & NA rails.

I also have new headlights and tailights to restore, new front and bumper and a 2.5 RS Hoodscoop to add as I fix the bodywork and proceed to cover it all in Satin Tank Green

FLASH FORWARD

Ok, A month & a 1/2 later and my Hernia is still where it should be. 2 weeks after surgery I was in the kitchen baking headlights and doing the little things just to keep me motivated.

Most of my time has been spent on the internet researching & purchasing things I couldn't afford. After doing some general calculations and realizing I have spent 3X what I wanted to on this "daily driver". I threw caution to the wind and spent all my disability checks & imaginary $ that I will later have to pay ( Visa ) :-D

Started with the Heads, tails & corners.

Haven;t even got it on the road yet and im already changing things I previously did. Installed a TD04, Perrin Y-pipe, Migged in some galvanized fittings in the CC mod for the Catch can's, Megan Bellmouth DP & Custom Rocket Rally Exhaust which I fabbed up a test pipe and a temp Cat for emissions.

Installed my FCD, Hallman Pro RX MBC, FCD, Interga Pillar pod W/ Innovative LC-1 WB gauge & boost gauge.

(Need a steering wheel BAD, JDM Momo, Nardi or a silver one to match the Titanium STI accessories perhaps)

Installed a STI shifter trim ring/boot and will be installing this 06-07 WRX TWM short shifter with all new Kartboy bushings & Titanium knob.

Also Installed a Walbro 255. Have some JDM 440cc's that I will send out to get cleaned & flowed, order the spacers and Install a Jecs MAF, Robtune ECU down the road. Also got a GC8 JDM STI Carbon Fiber Upper Strut bar, might hit the TMIC though. Hopefully I can make it work.

Left the engine alone and started tearing into the much needed bodywork.

Because Im an extremely impatient impulse buyer who searches NASIOC & craigslist 3X's a day I purchased these wheels that are to large and wished I just waited/saved for some proper 17x7's
    5Zigen Pro N1 18x8 ET45 W/ Falken ZE512 225/40/18's

Purchased all the bodywork supplies including paint. Sh!t ain't cheap, probably spent about $1100 including a $100 in tools. Orignally I wanted to do a Satin Military green/ Olive Drab but strict new laws prevented me from buying a good single stage satin industrial coating for cheap so I went with the PPG Omni line which is a little more economical in the base/clear department. The colour I chose is Nissan Moss Grean off a 08 Cube, Military green with pearl, I drove by one on the way to the paint store and quite liked it. I call it fait.

Bunch-A-Bodywork-To-Do, I get sidetracked easily :smt117

My Tortoise is hyped and so am I !!!

FLASH FORWARD AGAIN

6 month's later update !!!!!! FML , Been exactly a year since I bought this for a Winter beater and im still not done :smt010

Well after I mangled the hood a few months ago and had a real tough time finding one , I finally got another and am ready to get back at it.

I tried some heat shrinking to get rid of the "Oil Canning", it was all going so well until I chased a low spot right across the hood line A waste of a perfectly good SS hood.

Bought a 91 Parts car, too bad the hood don't fit and most body panels are toast. Why not have a spare EJ22T, 5MT & LSD though. ( Yes it came will Penis's painted on the side and "Ball Lickers" Inscribed on the spoiler )

Since I am truly a Wheel Whore, I sold the 5 Zigen's and bought a few sets of 17x7 Speedline / Prodrive Pero- R's. Gonna sandblast and Powder coat them both with my new Eastwood HotCoat system. Sell one set.

Found these Ultra rare 3-Piece Simmons wheel's on Craigslist for $175. 16x7.5 ET49.

Only Problem is deciding which one's I run as Winter wheels ? Was thinking Simmons in the Winter with some All-Season's . Only cause there 16"s and the Pero-r's are 17" HHmmm, Decisions, Decisions.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I also got alot of new Tools, including:

Eastwood Dual Voltage Hotcoat Powder Coating System.

Eastwood No-Weld Patch Repair Kit.

Eastwood Butt-Weld Kit

Now all I need is the time, Energy & Motivation :-D

TO THE FUTURE !!! (Today)

Alright, Finally back at it. Was pretty discouraged after the last hood. Finally Found another 2 hoods to try it again. Got a V1 STI Aluminum hood, free with the purchase of a JDM TD05-16G & Slanty TMIC !!!

But First I Re-modeled the Garage ( Again :-D ) . New 10' Stainless Bench with built in Sink that will be a solvent tank eventually. New Toolbox & a new 5HP 2-Stage Compressor. Got rid of my 2- 3HP 60 Gallon Speedaire's. 21 CFM @ 90PSI & 120 Gallons was nice, but 17.8 @ 175PSI will do :-)

Kicked the Jetta back outside to get the Legacy situated nicely.

Ok , Back to the Legacy. Started on another hood, it got damaged ( Don't wanna talk about it )

The Bottom:

Filled the top:

The Eastwood No-Weld Kit is awesome , an Air Nibbler & Flanger is Top Notch. Ultimately it was way to much work, I don't think it was worth it , kinna wish I just got the biggest STI Scoop I could find to make it worth while. Next time , if there was a next time . I would just rivet it on and piece together a body kit and rivet that B!tch on there . Bosozoku Style Boyaaa !!!

Also Got some Wedge Engineering Brackets for my Recaro Trophy's . There just sitting in my Jetta rotting away, if it takes me a year an a half to build a "winter beater" , it's gonna be a while till I get the Jetta done

Back to the body.

Lots of sanding to do, gonna build a booth this weekend I hope. Can't wait to get this thing painted !!!

Then Im gonna re-finish the Simmons 3_piece wheels, Got them straightened , but the shop could get them apart to polish the lips. Retarded special 13 10-Point Socket that they won't sell !!!!

Im gonna get an oven to cure the Powdercoat for the centers and the 2 sets of Prodrive Pero-R's. Hopefully the next update will at least be a primed car ( Soon )

THAT WAS THE BIGGEST POST EVER !!!

Same Format as Legacy Central made that very easy, even my smiley's worked, even though deep down I feel an infinite sadness that I have only ever driven my Legacy around the block
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
    84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
    99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily ( & Mine cause I don't Finish Project's )

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Thanks Again for all the Kind words Gentleman. Haven't been on here for quite some time, as I have moved. Can't wait to set up the new Shop !

Things have been alright besides a Jumped Timing Belt, So Glad I kept those SOHC None Interferance Heads ! Then a Broken Lower Speedo cable, thought it was the internal plastic gear. Always assuming the worst with this car lol :sad10:

Well Anyhow, Here's a Video & some Photo's

Name:  IMG_0946.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  912.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3863.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  2.03 MB

Name:  IMG_0945.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  3.76 MB

Name:  IMG_3923.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  737.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3862.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.25 MB
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Glad your still on here man. Thanks for those pics.

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Reviving still one of my favorite legacys of all time

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by foohfooh View Post
    Reviving still one of my favorite legacys of all time
    Thanks dude !

It's been off the road for a year since my wife's on Materity leave. Will be insuring it soon to shred up the mountain and snowboard
    . Can't wait !!!
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points
    I'm loving the skid plates.

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I remember reading this thread in 2013. Just something awesome about the first gens. Glad you're both still around!
    1996 Outback 5 speed
    1997 Legacy L wagon 5 speed Member's Ride I thread

"You want a real kick? You go Bernoulli." Pops Racer

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Thanks for the pics & videos! They're awesome!

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Box One Collective - Dirt Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by HKC-speed.com View Post
    Thanks for the pics & videos! They're awesome!
    Thanks, appreciate it. The car is back on the road. More pics to come. Here's a "quick cut" video from my friends at Box One Collective

https://vimeo.com/205003865

92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Great video! Love seeing your car. We met back in 2015 at the West Coast Subaru Show. Hope to see it again sometime soon. Cheers.
    '95 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon - Original Owner lBBS l CUSCO l WHITELINE l SPT
    '98 BMW E36 M3
    '18 VW Alltrack SE DSG
    '01.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro/Manual/APR Stage 2

Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassO.G.5000 Experience Points
    I like your first gen... Like a lot. Keep it up
    1999 Legacy GT Wagon 5SPD (Stella)" Race Wagon"
    V7 STI Drivetrain, STI 6MT, R180, Brembos, JDM EJ205 "Big port AVCS", Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, a lot of JDM Parts and much much more...
    2006 Legacy 2.5i Wagon A/T SWP SE "Slow Wagon" 20% Tint, JDM Tails, JDM Rear Fog, GT Leather
    1997 Legacy GT Wagon
    1998 Legacy L Wagon
    @TylerHartman on Instagram
    http://www.facebook.com/hartman.tyler
    Thanks Tyler

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by peugoby View Post
    Great video! Love seeing your car. We met back in 2015 at the West Coast Subaru Show. Hope to see it again sometime soon. Cheers.
    Thanks, only hit one Snow Bank ⚠ I was a Little hung over, but I think I can match you to the Silver Wagon. Did we talk Audi's ? B5 S4's ?
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

New User
    Level
    Achievements:
    I believe I’m having an issue with my RobTune ECU. CEL flickering constantly. IAC code. Cleaned and swapped coil. Rob has seemed to drop off the face of the earth.

I really don’t think the IAC is the problem. I got proper voltage there. Has anybody actually had the IAC fail or is it just generally the Coil or ECU ?

Any new options out there. Don’t wanna go back to stock

Any help would be much appreciated. I want the car back on the road ASAP !!!
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily