Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFK's 92 SS. Project (New Pics & Dyno #'s. Jan 14)

New User
    Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsO.G.

CFK's 92 SS. Project (New Pics & Dyno #'s. Jan 14)

Hi, New to the forum. Been on Legacy Central since I got it. Time for some Copy Paste Action

I Purchased this severely weathered whinestone 92 SS 5MT in october (2010 ) and with the guidance of Legacy Central have been nursing him back to health, and he will return stronger than ever.

Modifications:

Engine

- EJ22T (240 000 Kms)
    - TD05-16G
    - RobTune ECU
    - JDM 440CC Greytop's
    - 07 WRX TMIC W/ Disected Perrin Y-Pipe
    - De-Snorkeled, K&N, Turbo Silencer Delete
    - Winton Motors BOV Adapter
    - 2 Shiney Ebay Catch Cans
    - 3" TBE. Megan DP, Custom No-Cat Mid & Sheep Dog Muffler
    - Hallman Pro MBC
    - Innovative LC-1 WB Controller
    - JDM Greytop 440cc's

Chassis

- 3.90 R160 LSD W/ TIC Bushings
    - TWM Performance Short Throw Shifter
    - STI Short Shift Kit W/ Kartboy Bushings
    - Prodrive Pero-R 17x7 Wheels
    - Speedline Preo-R ST2 17x7 Wheels
    - Simmons FR90 16x7.5 3-piece Wheels
    - JDM Steel 4-Pots
    - Whiteline F&R 22mm Swaybars
    - Audi & Whiteline Endlinks
    - 05 STI Suspension (modified )
    - Godspeed Lateral links and Trailing Arms (hiem joints)

Exterior
    - De-Rusted
    - Nissan Moss Green
    - Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps
    - 07 S206 V-Limited F. Lip ( After Paint )
    - Projector Fogs W/ 3000K HID ( After Paint )
    Interior

- Recaro Trophy Seats
    - Sti Aluminum Shift Bezel
    - STI Titanium Shift Knob
    - Momo 280mm Team S. Wheel.
    - Podi Boost Gauge
    - Innovate Motorsports Dual Oil Gauge

The original plan was just to buy an AWD winter beater/daily driver so I didn't have to rely on my work truck or wife's car while I built my 84 Jetta GLI Coupe. The " Budget " was supposed to be $2000 inc. any repairs that needed to make it roadworthy. Since I had limited myself to AWD, there was only about 4 cars that applied in my search, any of which were gonna be tough to find for that cheap. I really wanted a Audi Coupe Quattro since I already own a B5 A4 Avant and the Jetta . Of coarse my other option being a Legacy which I had already previously owned a pearl white 90 5MT SDN. Sadly it met it's demise when a Eagle Talon had ran a red light T-boning me at about 90 km/h. I was not wearing my seat belt therefore I stood still and the car moved it's windsheild into my skull :smt010

So after some CL searching I found a mint 92 4EAT SS for $1200, unfortunately on my way out to look at it the first person to see it immediately purchased it . After another few weeks of searching I found a very rough 92 5MT SS that the owner had listed for $1800 leaking water through the sunroof a litres of oil onto the manifold, CEL's, flickering oil light and rust, dents and flaking clearcoat on the body. I had to have it !!! Both he and I knew the rarity of the 5MT SS and I just can't say no, so we settled on $1200 (probably still to much, but I don't care)

So I then replaced the TB,WP, Cam,crank/oil pump & VC seals. Dissasembled,cleaned & tightened the screws on the oil pump. Did the idler & tensioner bearings. Tune-up & all fluids changed. Cleaned the IAC & TB. Installed a 07 WRX TMIC, MBC, Boost Gauge, re-piped the PCV system W/ 2- Catch can's, Snorkel & silencer delete W/ K&N.

Then onto some 05 STI Suspension

Slight Drop

Stripped the interior, dropped the headliner and sunroof assembly to re-seal. Got some cheap 99 Legacy seats & wheels. Shampooed nasty interior.

Found a custom 3" Rocket Rally exhaust off Patrick Richards street car, ordered a DP and then decided I might as well throw a TD04 on while im there, so I got one as well as a Perrin silicone Y-pipe & Tight radius 90 to replace my cheap E-bay Y-pipe & copper piping.

Sounds like a bloody Lysolm Supercharger for some reason

So that's my progress thus far. After I recover from my hernia surgery I will be installing the new Y-pipe, TD04, DP, HF Cat W/ Flex joint + Exhaust. FCD, Innovative LC-1 Wideband gauge. Walbro 255 & possibly a Aeromotive Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RR FPR) leaving the stock injectors and seeing if that will work without going with the JDM 440cc Sidefeeds & NA rails.

I also have new headlights and tailights to restore, new front and bumper and a 2.5 RS Hoodscoop to add as I fix the bodywork and proceed to cover it all in Satin Tank Green

FLASH FORWARD

Ok, A month & a 1/2 later and my Hernia is still where it should be. 2 weeks after surgery I was in the kitchen baking headlights and doing the little things just to keep me motivated.

Most of my time has been spent on the internet researching & purchasing things I couldn't afford. After doing some general calculations and realizing I have spent 3X what I wanted to on this "daily driver". I threw caution to the wind and spent all my disability checks & imaginary $ that I will later have to pay ( Visa ) :-D

Started with the Heads, tails & corners.

Haven;t even got it on the road yet and im already changing things I previously did. Installed a TD04, Perrin Y-pipe, Migged in some galvanized fittings in the CC mod for the Catch can's, Megan Bellmouth DP & Custom Rocket Rally Exhaust which I fabbed up a test pipe and a temp Cat for emissions.

Installed my FCD, Hallman Pro RX MBC, FCD, Interga Pillar pod W/ Innovative LC-1 WB gauge & boost gauge.

(Need a steering wheel BAD, JDM Momo, Nardi or a silver one to match the Titanium STI accessories perhaps)

Installed a STI shifter trim ring/boot and will be installing this 06-07 WRX TWM short shifter with all new Kartboy bushings & Titanium knob.

Also Installed a Walbro 255. Have some JDM 440cc's that I will send out to get cleaned & flowed, order the spacers and Install a Jecs MAF, Robtune ECU down the road. Also got a GC8 JDM STI Carbon Fiber Upper Strut bar, might hit the TMIC though. Hopefully I can make it work.

Left the engine alone and started tearing into the much needed bodywork.

Because Im an extremely impatient impulse buyer who searches NASIOC & craigslist 3X's a day I purchased these wheels that are to large and wished I just waited/saved for some proper 17x7's
    5Zigen Pro N1 18x8 ET45 W/ Falken ZE512 225/40/18's

Purchased all the bodywork supplies including paint. Sh!t ain't cheap, probably spent about $1100 including a $100 in tools. Orignally I wanted to do a Satin Military green/ Olive Drab but strict new laws prevented me from buying a good single stage satin industrial coating for cheap so I went with the PPG Omni line which is a little more economical in the base/clear department. The colour I chose is Nissan Moss Grean off a 08 Cube, Military green with pearl, I drove by one on the way to the paint store and quite liked it. I call it fait.

Bunch-A-Bodywork-To-Do, I get sidetracked easily :smt117

My Tortoise is hyped and so am I !!!

FLASH FORWARD AGAIN

6 month's later update !!!!!! FML , Been exactly a year since I bought this for a Winter beater and im still not done :smt010

Well after I mangled the hood a few months ago and had a real tough time finding one , I finally got another and am ready to get back at it.

I tried some heat shrinking to get rid of the "Oil Canning", it was all going so well until I chased a low spot right across the hood line A waste of a perfectly good SS hood.

Bought a 91 Parts car, too bad the hood don't fit and most body panels are toast. Why not have a spare EJ22T, 5MT & LSD though. ( Yes it came will Penis's painted on the side and "Ball Lickers" Inscribed on the spoiler )

Since I am truly a Wheel Whore, I sold the 5 Zigen's and bought a few sets of 17x7 Speedline / Prodrive Pero- R's. Gonna sandblast and Powder coat them both with my new Eastwood HotCoat system. Sell one set.

Found these Ultra rare 3-Piece Simmons wheel's on Craigslist for $175. 16x7.5 ET49.

Only Problem is deciding which one's I run as Winter wheels ? Was thinking Simmons in the Winter with some All-Season's . Only cause there 16"s and the Pero-r's are 17" HHmmm, Decisions, Decisions.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I also got alot of new Tools, including:

Eastwood Dual Voltage Hotcoat Powder Coating System.

Eastwood No-Weld Patch Repair Kit.

Eastwood Butt-Weld Kit

Now all I need is the time, Energy & Motivation :-D

TO THE FUTURE !!! (Today)

Alright, Finally back at it. Was pretty discouraged after the last hood. Finally Found another 2 hoods to try it again. Got a V1 STI Aluminum hood, free with the purchase of a JDM TD05-16G & Slanty TMIC !!!

But First I Re-modeled the Garage ( Again :-D ) . New 10' Stainless Bench with built in Sink that will be a solvent tank eventually. New Toolbox & a new 5HP 2-Stage Compressor. Got rid of my 2- 3HP 60 Gallon Speedaire's. 21 CFM @ 90PSI & 120 Gallons was nice, but 17.8 @ 175PSI will do :-)

Kicked the Jetta back outside to get the Legacy situated nicely.

Ok , Back to the Legacy. Started on another hood, it got damaged ( Don't wanna talk about it )

The Bottom:

Filled the top:

The Eastwood No-Weld Kit is awesome , an Air Nibbler & Flanger is Top Notch. Ultimately it was way to much work, I don't think it was worth it , kinna wish I just got the biggest STI Scoop I could find to make it worth while. Next time , if there was a next time . I would just rivet it on and piece together a body kit and rivet that B!tch on there . Bosozoku Style Boyaaa !!!

Also Got some Wedge Engineering Brackets for my Recaro Trophy's . There just sitting in my Jetta rotting away, if it takes me a year an a half to build a "winter beater" , it's gonna be a while till I get the Jetta done

Back to the body.

Lots of sanding to do, gonna build a booth this weekend I hope. Can't wait to get this thing painted !!!

Then Im gonna re-finish the Simmons 3_piece wheels, Got them straightened , but the shop could get them apart to polish the lips. Retarded special 13 10-Point Socket that they won't sell !!!!

Im gonna get an oven to cure the Powdercoat for the centers and the 2 sets of Prodrive Pero-R's. Hopefully the next update will at least be a primed car ( Soon )

THAT WAS THE BIGGEST POST EVER !!!

Same Format as Legacy Central made that very easy, even my smiley's worked, even though deep down I feel an infinite sadness that I have only ever driven my Legacy around the block
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
    84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
    99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily ( & Mine cause I don't Finish Project's )

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: CFK's 92 SS. Project / Daily

Cant wait to see whats next, keep the speedlines some of the best looking wheels on 1st gens.
    myspace
    "wagons haul shit, haul ass" not my wagon
    October 09 ROTM

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Nice build!

Dont feel so bad about not driving it much, last time I drove my Volvo was the day after high school grad (1999)... And all I have done to my Pulsar is push it! haha!

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

I enjoyed seeing how you repaired your car and made it look so much nicer. It gives me hope for my car!
    '87 Buick Electra 187K - Rust in Peace
    '93 Chrysler Town&Country 354K - Rust in Peace
    '92 Dodge Spirit - sold
    '92 Pontiac Grand Am - sold
    '96 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 237K - parting out
    '04 Chevy Impala - new toy

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Hey Reid ya nOOb make sure you follow the rules:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5808
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by mike-tracy
    Hey Reid ya nOOb make sure you follow the rules:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5808
    Sorry Mike , i'll make a mod list . Then I should be up to speed !!! Right ?
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Yes more and more SS people lately. Welcome!
    UNNAMED '97 GT Wagon just picked up. Build thread soon.

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience Points

I dig your build, awesome work. I can't believe I have never thought to just plug weld/redrill the bolt holes on the newer STI suspension, it wouldn't be bad at all to do.
    1998 Legacy 2.5GT: Stock to turbo to stock, and given to my Dad, then to my sister that blew it up. Now I've repo'd it and it will once again rise to former glory!

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by LGT Kirby
    Yes more and more SS people lately. Welcome!
    Glad to be here, Love Legacy Central . Just not to much action there due to the amount of BC owners.

Quote Originally Posted by grayguy
    I dig your build, awesome work. I can't believe I have never thought to just plug weld/redrill the bolt holes on the newer STI suspension, it wouldn't be bad at all to do.
    Someone posted a link on Legacy Central to a Nasioc thread. Can't find it , but it's out there. Friend had some Take-off's , I had a welder and a drill. Twas a no-brainer,

I am back to add a Mod list
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Achievements:

Damn this first gen is looking sexy with all that turboed goodness!!!
    '05 Legacy GT Wagon
    Fuelly
    '99 Legacy outback limited
    Fuelly
    '92 SVX LS-L (SOLD)
    '06 Mustang V6
    check out my videos(TheDirtyDirtyDirty)- http://www.youtube.com/thedirtydirtydirty
    CKuhn Photography (<click)

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Wow, what a project! Fucking nice DIYing skills there, can't wait till it's got a fresh lick of paint!

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

The hoods are piling up, but so is the learning experience!! Happy to see someone dive into an SS, every post is motivating my own wants.
    Keep it up, want to see and hear some results!
    James

2002 LGT
    1992 2.2T

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Thats for the Kind Comments Guys. Gonna need all the Motivation I can get to finish this " Winter Beater " LOL

5 Month's Later Update : Frames Bent, Still Depressed

Cracked some ribs snowboarding, Hurt way to much to sand, so the project was put on hold yet again. Built a mini Booth and Tried sandblasting wheels. Way to time consuming, gave up, took them to a U-Blast Place.

I sidetrack easily, projects include :

A Sandblasting Booth :

Gave that up and took them somewhere else. Way to time consuming. Need at least a 7.5HP Compressor.

The Wheel Collection, Minus a Second set of Speedline Pero-R's ( FOR SALE )

They I Built a Powdercoating Oven :

Began Powdercoating :

Got the wife's Professionally done :

First one turned out a little Crinkly, but OK. Gold with Satin Clear :

Powdercoated the Centers Gold, with Gloss Clear. Bolts Olive Drab & Got the Lips Polished and I coated them with Sharkhide protectant :

Had some Insulation left over from the Oven, decided to do the Garage Door :

Then I wanted to get my chairlift Modified and hung. Chopped it, welded it, hung it. Porch Swing :

Ok, Enough time wasted. Back to the Subie. NOS OEM Fender. Car still Bent

92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

How much do those fenders run from Subaru? need two fronts for mine...

..and sweeet porch swing..
    James

2002 LGT
    1992 2.2T

Level
    Achievements:

That looks like some really nice setups you have going there with that blasting room and powdercoating over!!! If only I had more space in my garage......
    '05 Legacy GT Wagon
    Fuelly
    Fuelly
    '92 SVX LS-L (SOLD)
    '06 Mustang V6
    check out my videos(TheDirtyDirtyDirty)- http://www.youtube.com/thedirtydirtydirty

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by JBCLEGACY
    How much do those fenders run from Subaru? need two fronts for mine...
    ..and sweeet porch swing..
    I cant remember, was quite awhile ago. ordered it from subarugenuineparts.com. There wasn't to many left in NA though !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrish8r
    That looks like some really nice setups you have going there with that blasting room and powdercoating over!!! If only I had more space in my garage......
    Thanks, I used to have alot more space, the Oven takes up quite a bit. Not to mention all my unfinished projects
    Hopefully have the fender fitted tomorrow, start sanding and spray some more high build primer. Really need to get this done !!!
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Wow...an awesome build, and mad respect for your skill and ability to take most, if not all, of this on by yourself. Awesome.
    John Perdue
    1998 Subaru Legacy GT
    2004 Subaru Outback
    2013 Ford F-150

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Perdue
    Wow...an awesome build, and mad respect for your skill and ability to take most, if not all, of this on by yourself. Awesome.
    Thanks Dude Takes me awhile, but it will get done eventually !!! but soon, really soon.

Finally Got him in the Booth after much trouble and frustration

Very Stoked on the colour, Just can't decide if I liked it better Matte or with clear !!!
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    O.G.SocialOverdrive50000 Experience Points

This is awesome! Great work so far.
    4Zero1 Motorsports

2010 BM GT
    1998 BD L EJ25/EJ22 High Compression
    1993 GSX-R 750 (version 2.0)
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    1998 BK L PARTED
    1991 Legacy SS SOLD
    1997 BD GT R.I.P. 12/24/06 Running Mean with 117 whp!
    1989 Honda CR-X A.K.A. "The Beast"
    1991 Suzuki GSX-R 750 R.I.P. 11/10/06

SLi Facebook
    4Zero1Motorsports Facebook

"No matter how much you've done, or how successful you've been, there's always more to do, always more to learn, and always more to achieve." - Barack Obama

Level
    Achievements:

I love that olive color on these body styles.
    '05 Legacy GT Wagon
    Fuelly
    Fuelly
    '92 SVX LS-L (SOLD)
    '06 Mustang V6

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Thanks Guys. Paint turned out a little rough. Waited to cure, wet sanded and im gonna re-clear it hopefully this weekend !

92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Re: CFK's 92 SS. Project / Daily ( Updated Mar/11/2013 )

Some Progress :

- All Trim Painted, Bumpers On

Some Bars

WRX / TWM Short Shifter & Kartboy Bushings, STI Titanium Knob.

Gross

Rebuilt the Rack, Pinion seal still leaked

Upper Pinion seal leaked after re-installing

Serious Quality Control Issues at Beck Arnley. ( Both Brand new ) Can you tell which ones Made in Japan

Keeping Busy until Gear Box Seal Kit "A" Arrives, Hand Polished 330mm Momo from my Jetta.

Also got a JDM Nardi Wheel, but its almost stock size, i'll have to try both :

Stock Oblong Control Arm bushings Compared to Forester Units

Craigslist find Group A Mounts, Awaiting the Motor mounts from Subarugenuineparts.com

Mounted me Racks while waiting for the Pinion Seal Kit

Thanks to Mike Tracy for Grabbing stuffs from the Wrecker for me
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

I love this build. Late 80's and 90's Japanese Turbo cars are my weakness.
    2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed
    2002 Subaru Impreza TS2.5 - EJ51 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Thanks Dude !

Finally Got it on the Road for an Alignment today, unfortunately the CEL, ABS lights came on and the Speedo/Odometer stopped working so I could not take it through Emissions. It is also making a terrible Screeching/Squealing Noise as soon as there's load, the more boost the louder it gets

Thought it was the Diverter/Bypass Valve, so I changed it to an aftermarket Forge 007 Valve. No change, Boost Leak maybe Then later on the way home it started, misfiring, backfiring, low idle, oil light flickering, then stalling Just running like a Bag of Anus :smt076

Oh well, Off to Oregon. FIO when I get back
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:

Damn! Beautiful car, makes me want to build one someday.
    '02 BE Limited GT - SOLD
    '99 Legacy wrx wagon - RIP east coast rust
    '97 GT limited wagon - RIP.
    93 gt/b - current
    '94 Ti
    '93 Postal

SLi nOOb
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Damn that is a major change. Looks great, helps you can do body work i

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Thanks Guys, ya. Lots of trial & Error.

Had it on the road for 5 Days, spun a rod bearing. Had a spare motor in the shed, passed a leakdown, stripped it down to the long block. Added a TD05,440's,MSD, Grimmspeed up-pipe, Lightened flywheel & Exedy Clutch & Rob Tune !!!

Some Pics of Carnage, Goodies and the assembled motor

Cracked TD05 Housing

Phenolic Spacers

Assembled and Ready

Lightened Flywheel

Before the new MSD

Got the Rob Tune in there as well, took it for a spin. Awesome, then returned.

OIL EVERYWHERE

Time to pull it back out
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Those wheels and that paint... Dayumn. Very nice looking car.
    2002 Outback H6 VDC "Blitzen 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster6
    A sherpa could rip ass somewhere high up in the Himalayas and my Prius will be blown almost off of the road.

Level
    Achievements:

Third time is a charm! Hopefully it will finally get sorted out so it will be as badass in motion as it it looks sitting in the garage.
    '05 Legacy GT Wagon
    Fuelly
    Fuelly
    '92 SVX LS-L (SOLD)
    '06 Mustang V6

New User
    Level
    Achievements:

Thanks, it does feel great

Officially on the road for the longest period yet ! Failed emissions with the Delta Cams, but none the less is insured. FINALLY

Testing out both the car and my new Olympus E-5. One of which is WAY to Complicated

Got stuck in the mud all by myself, along ways from home. Luckily made it out the trenches 8)
    92 SS 5MT. Project Daily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast