Thread: Need some input...

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Need some input...

Ok, so I did a bad thing and went to Car Toys to look at some stuff just to kill time. Talking to the guys there they ask about my car. I take them out to my BD and they ask my to crank it up to normal... They they ask how loud I really listen to it... It went from 17 to 28... hahaha...

They take a look at what I have...
    -4 Infinity component speakers (2 in the front door, 2 in the rear window)
    -OEM tweeters by the mirrors
    -4300 Phoenix Gold Amp 4 channel
    -12" Kicker CVR 1000wt sub in a ported box
    -Year old Kenwood head unit...

So the one guy says, "dude, you got so much potential for a bad ass system for little money".

He says that I could get a new amp for the sub ($200ish) and use the other amp to run the speakers then get a set of new speakers for the front that are not component. I listed to a few and I like this one set (about $250 a set).

Now I'm not much of a sound system guy at all, but I dont like the fact that my speakers are distorting when I'm rocking out, so this kinda makes sense to me. They say everything I have is good stuff, just not utilized. I also said I was going to add a set to my rear doors and they said it's not going to be so much of a difference, but I could use the front door speakers if I got the new ones and it would sound really good...

Any of you stereo guys got some input for me?

Pics of the sub... dont have one of the deck... yet

SLi O.G.
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Re: Need some input...

What are you working with for a head unit?

Just a random thought off the top of my head:
    Bridge 2ch for sub, Get 4channel w/and Digital Sound Processor (or crossover for us old guys :smt002 ) add rears for cabin clarity and call it a day. You could swap the fronts' but they did say you have everything of "quality". IIRC didn't you already do a grounding kit too?
    BD GT

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

I already have a good head unit, so I'm not worried about that...

All the restof what you said went right over my head bro... haha...

and no grounding kit... I'll be doing a couple larger ones for the motor some day.

SLi O.G.
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Okin DaVanh
    What are you working with for a head unit?what kind of headunit, to see how many RCA outputs you're working with.

Just a random thought off the top of my head:
    Bridge 2ch for sub,bridge your 2 channel amp attached to that box Get 4channel w/and Digital Sound Processor (or crossover for us old guys :smt002 ) 4 channel amps have left/right front/rear capabilitiesadd rears for cabin clarityadd rear door speakers for better imagery with sound and call it a day. You could swap the fronts' but they did say you have everything of "quality". IIRC didn't you already do a grounding kit too?

better?
    BD GT

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

The head unit is a Kenwood KDC-X695...

I think my friend did the bridging thing with the amp so its go full power going to the sub. The whole reason I'm even thinking about it is to keep my door speakers from distorting and I have had the same stuff (speakers anyway) since I got the car 4-5 years ago...

Juts found my extra speakers... Infinity Reference 6002i 6 1/2"... Thats what I have right now...

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

You will get better performance out of a mono amp for your sub and use your existing amp to run your other speakers. your mid/tweeter speakers are a good entry level speaker you will get better sound out of a Component System with mids, tweeters and crossovers. I don't run rear speakers and I think it is a waist of sound as the "surround" sound effect is not my thing and I really don't have to many people sit in the back so who cares what they hear.
    What do you want out of your system? it seems you like it loud.
    Sound deadening can also be a huge help with making your system perform to it best.
    Also don't buy form Car Toys, I do go in there every once in a while to just talk to some of the guys as a very small few of them are smart and can give you good info but most just want the sale.
    hansvonaxion: "So there's an SLi compound with a cache of weapons and free range EJ's?"

"FNG"
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

depending on what the specs are on the stuff you could bridge the rear inputs for the sub and run the fronts to the front dorrs. Then use the rears coming from the headunit for the rear speakers. If you wanna drop money get a mono channel amp that matches with the sub and run all 4channels on the amp to the desired locations. Also i didnt understand if you had components but youd want a set up front and just coaxles in the back. Fade to the front and the right some and that should be a good starting point.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

Isn't that Kicker a dvc? If so use your PG amp for the sub, (that XS series is extremely well built for long sub usage) just wire the left channel bridged and same for the right to each voice coil, then get a good 4 channel for your components. Also component speakers just about always run cleaner on an amp versus right from the deck power, so if it's your front door speakers not sounding clear from not being on an amp I would try the above before buying another set, especially before buying non-compenets. And yes I used to deal with Car Toys for many many years all over the country, some salesman are hit or miss, the guys at the Tacoma store 13 years ago were about the bottom of the barrel but Dallas area actually had some very knowledgable salesmen.