Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The inaccurately named "Blighter", Regular car reviews, WRX seats, and front lip 27/04/19

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

The inaccurately named "Blighter", Regular car reviews, WRX seats, and front lip 27/04/19

So, about 7 months ago, I saw something of interest on the interwebs. A BC legacy for $500.

Upon further inspection, it was in bloody nice condition, though a bit run down, but otherwise quite good. And less than 99,000miles on the clock I might add.

So, well... I bought it!

I have since found some cool things about the TI Type-S. They got quite a few little feautres borrowed from the GT's, like power folding mirrors, the auto HVAC/aircon controls (complete with flip down control panel), got the rear spoiler, central locking, and almost completely blacked out, black handles, no chrome strips along the doors, none in the rear light garnish either. Only chrome on it was the strip around the bump strips.

Here's some brochure material.

Got a PM from DacerX last night regrding a lovely looking BF N/A down here in QT he wanted to have a look at, but we found it was sold already. That got me browsing trade me last night... And i found this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =372003835

Sent the guy a txt, it was still avail, so i organised a viewing time at around 4pm today. Went over after my flight, had a look, she seems fine, no bad rust anywhere, just those wof items. I offered him $500 cash, as is, where is, and it was a deal

She's mint, the clear coat is in better condition than the GTB, the shocks are fine, the engine is perfect, the auto is fine, the wheels need swapping, and i might have a rear wheel bearing fucked, but other than that, and the wof items, she's actually in damn nice condition!

Going to be a nice fix'n'flick, or i might even keep it for a runabout, so i stop treating beastie as a shopping trolly!

And i'm just going to post my shopping list here for easy reference

Interior:
    Front Seatbelts and buckles

Exterior:
    Passenger door lock

Drivetrain:
    Front half shaft

And the mod list, getting ever longer! Half of the work done has been resto stuff!!

Suspension and braking:
    GDA Red 4-pot front brakes (Have 2-pot rears, just waiting on hubs to fit them)
    TRW XSS slotted rotors front (Have rears also, again waiting to fit)
    BG GTB bilsteins all round, donated from beast.
    BG GTB rear sway bar and 'solid' rear lateral arm conversion. Donated from beast.
    Rear subframe locking bolts
    Rear alloy sway bar links
    GTB 19mm sway bars
    Front turbo subframe to fit the 250T style exhaust, to allow a K-brace to be fitted
    Cusco K-brace
    STi Alloy Arms with balljoin style sway bar links.
    Cusco rear strut brace

Engine:
    Converted to EJ25D, HLA from a BG9A
    Converted to Manual, 5spd N/A VZ-R BF5C
    STi EJ20K Intake manifold and large bore throttle
    250T BG9A Intake pipe
    BF5B Turbo headers + 250T Up and down pipes.
    BF5B GT Turbo engine loom
    Possum link G1 ECU

Cosmetic
    Full face lift GT black leather interior.
    Ver. 4 STi front seats
    GT momo steering wheel.
    GT front bumper
    GT shagpile floor mat set
    GT fine thread carpet

Wheels:
    Temporary (to clear 4-pots) Ver. 8 STi BBS 17x7.5 wheels in gold. Some random shitty neutron 215/45R17's
    Usual summer: BG GTB optional 17x7 BBS mesh wheels with 225/45R17 Potenza RE003's
    Usual winter: BP 2.0R stock 16x6.5 winter wheels, with Blizzak MZ-01 snow tyres.

As she sits now:

IMG_4625 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_3907 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

IMG_3894 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr
    Last edited by Reuben; 04-26-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Level
    Achievements:

Re: Reubens second child - 1990 Ti Type-S

"Going to be a fix'n'flick" Famous last words... To anyone who's ever bought a gen 1, you know how hard it is to sell the fuckers! The short of it is, no, not going to sell for a long while!

Anyway, there ended up being QUITE a bit of work for it, $1000 of work all up, making it a $1500 car, so, I guess, still not a bad deal. Especially for something only 160,000K old, and in remarkable condition!

Had to put some new brakes in the rear (got some BC GT rear disks, nice), CV joints, new seatbelts, wheel alignments etc etc. Not much in the grand scheme.... Then i lent it to a mate for 6 months, and only got it back a couble weeks ago. The guy looked after it real nice though, made sure it was serviced properly etc.

When i got it back, i found it was never getting up to temp, this was why:

Then gave him a clean, and took him for a photoshoot.

Level
    Achievements:

Then my other half brought me a present down from Auckland, when she did her road trip...

A GT bumper! I have the best BF in the world...

Yeah, shutup about the plate, it doesn't have a plate mount yet!!

Sadly, with his new found warmth inthe cooling system, the radiator got a bit of a shock, and has properly died... here's a post from DOBC

Just completed my new addition to the cooling system in the BC3, I now have a drip tray. Blighter now runs what I call an "open world system" It's really effective at cooling down hot coolant. Coolant sprays out of the front of the radiator, and collects in the AC radiator, dribbles down and collects on the front chassis frame, then drips into the collection bucket, where it is poured into the overflow bottle, to complete the cycle. It's an efficient design while stationary, but the mobile version still requires a bit of work. The mobile version isn't quite 100% efficient on the coolant retention, though at least my mind is clear, knowing I'm doing my part to hydrate Queenstowns Roading network.
    Next on the agenda is replacing the radiator, finding some GT wheels for it, installing my left over bilsteins from beast, installing my left over 19mm sway bars from beast, installing some BC/BF GT front brakes to match the rear, and finding some fog lights!
    Last edited by Reuben; 04-26-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

I have never been much for the 1st gens, but they are growing on me... That one is in pretty good shape though! I really like the black honey comb grill!

And you do have an awesome GF dude! No girl has ever got me car parts...

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, we're joined at the hip. For her birthday, I helped fund her an LSD, she was VERY happy

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

There are so many parts from this car that I wish mine had... Love the colour, same as my own car.
    Danny

1993 Legacy LS AWD: 4eat, mostly stock, going SUS, higher mileage, turbo grille, and lots of one off additions. (Mine)
    1994 Turbo Wagon: bone stock other than a snorkus delete and aftermarket stero. (Mine)
    1997 Outback: 5mt, winter package, tinted windows, tow bar with wiring, and slowly becoming a limited. (Moms)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996Battlewagon
    Even still, just go to the guy's place, kick his face in, take your "WRX" and raid his fridge so he can't have breakfast.

Needs to update their Email!
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

youd think with a name like Ti Type-S itd be turboed or something... i guess not...

fix it?
    1996 Legacy L *Green Monster* Sold... wish I didn't have to ....
    1997 Legacy GT w/ 2003 WRX swap. 222k .... dead.... R.I.P. beautiful....

Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsO.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansei
    youd think with a name like Ti Type-S itd be turboed or something... i guess not...
    +1 still a nice car and the color is pretty sweet

Level
    Achievements:

Haha, yeah, funny eh? The Ti's were the 1.8 single point injection models, the Mi's, even lower spec 1.8's

The Ti type-S, and (see if you recognise that S from anywhere) essentially got given a bunch of GT trim bits, like the spoiler, central locking, folding mirrors etc. Other than that, nothing much.

Long term plans for it, because yes, I want to keep it as a runabout, include manual conversion, and the possible addition if a 22E. But nothing much more than that, I have the GTB for my handling and power needs, this car is my shopping trolley.

Level
    Achievements:

Update time... Still haven't fixed the radiator... still driving it around though, a leaks only a problem if you don't keep topping it up!

Gave the ol boy some love over the weekend too, new spark plugs and air filter, and I cleaned out all the intake system. I should probably run some upper engine cleaner too actually (the Genuine Subaru equiv of 'sea foam').

Then, installed a GT momo wheel on him. Like a bawss. Only thing left in the cabin now is to magically turn the selector into a shifter...

All the shit in the intake, yum

And no, that's not a carbie, I can assue you, that's a single point fuel injection unit...

Old plugs

Old wheel

Old new wheel

And the new new wheel is in the mail, basically a mint example of the above... Eeeeeeeeexcellent.

Next weekends mission, is to install the BG GTB 19mm factory sway bars in it.

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Everything about that engine bay is slightly off compared to what I'm used to, lol. If you can find one, an early ej20d should fit nicely.
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

SLi Resident
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Loving this "build"

I cant wait to buy something similar as a daily driver
    '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
    '04 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 30th Anniversary Edition
    '98 Subaru Legacy BrightonSE Wagon (R.I.P)

Level
    Achievements:

Haha, you should see my face go all Jackie Chan when I see a USDM engine bay! If i'm replacing the 1.8 with anything (likely not due to the fuck of a job wiring from single point to multi point injection), it'd be the ever versitile EJ22E. And EJ22E's are a metric f*cktonne better in JDMland than they are in USDMville. Dual port since 1989 for a start...

In the garage, I happen to have a set of bilsteins just sitting there... doing nothing... because the LF got pot-holed, and died a miserable death, and the top hat got bent... These were Beasts original bilsteins (beast is my GTB LTD.), He's got KYB's now... Priced up a replacement today; was $50, plus $15 freight. Sweet, so ordered that in, and the rear GC top hats required to fit bilsteins to BC's, and I should be getting those in not next weekend, but weekend after.

Also sitting there are some GTB rear lateral arms, C-links, and some BG GTB 19mm sway bars, as mentioned earlier. These will be going in this weekend, because why not.

Also ordered today is the replacement radiator. And I will be pricing up a genuine cambelt kit too.

It's nice finally having a parts bin for all of beasts discarded goodies... And I'm stoked it's a BC. F**k yeah old school legacy's!

SLi Resident
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben
    Haha, you should see my face go all Jackie Chan when I see a USDM engine bay! If i'm replacing the 1.8 with anything (likely not due to the fudge of a job wiring from single point to multi point injection), it'd be the ever versitile EJ22E. And EJ22E's are a metric f*cktonne better in JDMland than they are in USDMville. Dual port since 1989 for a start...

In the garage, I happen to have a set of bilsteins just sitting there... doing nothing... because the LF got pot-holed, and died a miserable death, and the top hat got bent... These were Beasts original bilsteins (beast is my GTB LTD.), He's got KYB's now... Priced up a replacement today; was $50, plus $15 freight. Sweet, so ordered that in, and the rear GC top hats required to fit bilsteins to BC's, and I should be getting those in not next weekend, but weekend after.

Also sitting there are some GTB rear lateral arms, C-links, and some BG GTB 19mm sway bars, as mentioned earlier. These will be going in this weekend, because why not.

Also ordered today is the replacement radiator. And I will be pricing up a genuine cambelt kit too.

It's nice finally having a parts bin for all of beasts discarded goodies... And I'm stoked it's a BC. F**k yeah old school legacy's!
    Is your country looking for Autobody techs? I would love to move there to have access to all this subaru stuff!
    '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
    '04 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 30th Anniversary Edition
    '98 Subaru Legacy BrightonSE Wagon (R.I.P)

Level
    Achievements:

Re: Reubens second child - "Blighter" the 1990 Ti Type-S

Our ej22e's were dual ports till 94 and some 95's as well Never felt short on power till you have a couple people riding with you, lol. That's why I'm saying you should look into the early ej20d off a Legacy VZ. 150 hp at 6800 rpm and 127 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm with variable trajectory intake manifold.
    NOOB
    Giggity

Level
    Achievements:

TBH, I like the simplicity of the SOHCS. I have Beast if I want to murder myself doing spark plugs, Blighter's the simple daily.

However... If it came to learning how to build engines... I'd gladly slap some 20D heads on a 2.2 shortie... how THAT would be a sweet little N/A powerplant to potter about town in! The reality is though, if the engine ever gave me grief, I'd likely go for whatever gerald has sitting on the shelf... 22E, 20E, 20D, can get any for around the $400 before shipping... I like having friends at a wreckers! The pain is the fucking wiring conversion for multipoint. uuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... May as well fucking turbo it, only another 5 or so wires on top...... So 1.8 single point he shall remain....

Now what is an "Autobody tech", sounds like an American term for something I probably know about... The translation I'm picking up off that term is "Chassis engineer"... is that right? Or is it just plain ol "Mechanic"

If it's just a plain ol mechanic, then yes, yes there is plenty of work here, come and join the JDM party mate!

Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:

Now what is an "Autobody tech", sounds like an American term for something I probably know about... The translation I'm picking up off that term is "Chassis engineer"... is that right? Or is it just plain ol "Mechanic"
    I think he means panel beater.

Level
    Achievements:

Oh lol, now panel beaters are in hot demand over winter in QT! The people here are fucking idiots when it comes to snow!!!

New update time.

So, I installed the solid rear lateral arms into blighter last weekend, and it turns ouy he came with solid fronts too, so he's got bloody both solid front and rear lateral arms, which is better than what Beast has!!! lol... Piss easy job too actually.

Then the 19mm rear GTB sway bar went on, and I went to go fit the front, but found I need custom bushes for that (we have some Nolathane ones on the shelf at work, looks like a standard design which is nice), and I may have to take the exhausts off... which is fail... I'm kind of consider putting turbo headers back on for the lols, and because I like the sound! Just need to figure out how feasible that is with a non turbo crossmember...

And I compared Blighters old bar to beasts new 22mm ones, lol!

Next week the bilsteins go in, and he gets an alignment. Also, will be finally fitting the new radiator.

Oh, and the snow tyres went on too, forecast for some tonight!!!

'

Notice how his rear brakes are bigger than the fronts!!! Thankfully it's not the size that counts, and on the wof sheets, the fronts still have more bite to them.

Level
    Achievements:

So today i found out why you can't run turbo front sway bars on N/A's, and it's not THAT big of a problem, seriously, a hammer could solve the conflict...

Turns out the N/A bars have larger kinks in them, to go up and over the extractors, that the turbo bars lack (turbo bar is much straighter). The turbo front sway bar touches the extractors, and you can't even force it in place... you need to lower the extractors buy about a CM to do so. I could have hammered them, but didn't want to for just an extra 2mm... The BC3 front bar is 18mm, and the GTB sway bar is 20, not a massive difference. And yes, I know, I've been saying 19mm, but I got 19mm bushes today, put them on, and they were too small, re measured, and it turns out GTB fronts are 20mm... lol.

The conflict would be solved by running a turbo exhaust manifold though, which I want to do, just to get a bit more of a pleasing note out the tail pipe. So, then GTB sway bar can go back on the shelf indefinitely now... Will do the extractor conversion some time later, probably after winter or something...

I also polished up another little section of paint, to chuck a cheeky nolathane sticher on the rear, and my god that paint is so good!!!

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

LOL!!! Was not expecting to see your twisted face in that last pic!

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Quote Originally Posted by hansvonaxion
    I think he means panel beater.
    HAHA!!! Yeah, Autobody/bodyman=Panel Beater!

I have a friend over in Adelaline thats a panel beater... So I have leared some of the terms... haha

Level
    Achievements:

I'll put it this way, during winter in Queenstown, there's usually a 2-4 week waiting list at the panel beaters... They are flat out!

Level
    Achievements:

Finally replaced the leaky radiator today! Took my bloody time, has been pissing out coolant for two months, lol. Ah well, a leaks only a problem if you don't top it up again!

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

haha... My Toyota truck has been leaking for 2 years, so dont feel too bad! I just keep filling it with coolant... LOL

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social

^^That sounds healthy for the environment lmao but I guess I can't complain because my car leaks oil lol
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Achievements:

So, the Bilsteins are in. Swapped on some GC top hats to the rears, in order to keep the Bilstein springs, and bought a replacement LF strut, as the old one was shagged from pothole damage. Got them installed a few nights ago, but had the ol GC non inverted top hat on an inverted strut issue, of having about 5 mill of play. And my mate who helped me but in the struts accidentally put the side he was working on at full positive camber! was a bloody funny sight I can tell you that (handles REAL well round left hand corners though! :P)

This morning I sussed out some washers for the top hat, got those in, and sent Blighter off to get a wheel alignment. Came back all good, so I went off to coronet peak to take some pics! He made it up just fine, albeit with a little rest stop half way up. No over heating, but I figured I'd give him a rest anyway, tis a daunting hill for a 20 year old SPFI 1.8!!!!

Level
    Achievements:

That Legacy badge on the rear quarter panel is much different from what I'm used to. Different is cool.

What application are those Bilsteins for originally? I have Bilstein struts/springs on mine (from an RS-B? They are all black with Bilstein stickers) and my 91 SS is pretty much slammed with em. Brand new 205/55/r16 rubber.
    NOOB
    Giggity

Level
    Achievements:

All black with bilstein stickers is likely stock GT struts stickered up buy some sad japanese kid with no money. There are some like that, that exsist, from the late BG5A's, but they are extremely rare. The first model that officially got bilstiens was the BG5B GT-B, and those were yellow, the black ones were an optional extra you could add onto the BG5A GT when buying new, so like I said, extremely rare. And by rare, i'm talking a very select few 1995 models where the owners ticked the box to add thousands on to the buy price to add them in!

Are they inverted? If not, likely my fist explanation for you sadly.

And the billies that went into Blighter are from Beast, my GTB. GTB's weight about 1500KG, BC3 N/A's weight about 1200KG, so yeah, just a wee lift involved.

Level
    Achievements:

I PM'd you a pic. They're real - just might not be from a legacy.
    NOOB
    Giggity

Level
    Achievements:

So i picked up a new water pump today, and cambelt tensioner. I really should have got the whole cambelt kit, but i just can''t afford it right now, can do it later no worries (SOHC EJ's are the fucking easiest things in the world to work on!!!). Managed to pick up the genuine tensioner for $54 NZD, which is faaarking cheap!!! $350 for a full kit with tensioner, but $300 i don't have, and i have a deadline of next fortnight to get the water pump leak fixed, so just pump and tensioner it was. Plus i'll likely be chucking the EJ18 out this summer and dumping a 22 in there.

Anyway, tomorrow is waterpump day, going to take the rad out to make it a bit easier (read possible), and probably unbolt the accessories too, and flip them out to the side.

Here's to hoping it gets above 5º, cause working in the cold sucks!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast