Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The inaccurately named "Blighter", Regular car reviews, WRX seats, and front lip 27/04/19

Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    O.G.10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Re: Reubens second child - "Blighter" the 1990 Ti Type-S

God, so much for wanting +5º, mid day, and it's still not above 1º!

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

At least you don't have to worry about your car over heating, haha! Back where I grew up I had a winter that dropped to -70º F. Oh, and my heater broke so I had to drive with the windows down so I didn't fog them up.

I love the cold, though. I kinda miss it.

Level
    Achievements:

Yeah, as a kiwi, seeing 1º temps in the middle of the day is something that happens only a few times a year! Tis a mild country for sure.

Level
    Achievements:

Well, the parts arrived late this afternoon, so never got to do the waterpump, but luckily i have tomorrow off too.

I did however have time to get the oil change done, and went to do a test run up coronet peak.

t3h ub3r m3mber nikolaus.conrad's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.Social

You always take stunning photographs. What kind of camera do you have?
    -Nick
    1991 Subaru Legacy L -221K -Killed in action
    1996 Subaru Legacy L -192K -Rust in Peace
    1996 Subaru Outback -214K -Drove into ground
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1990 Volvo 240 sedan -220K -B230F. M47. I Drift Bro.
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomistopheles
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Achievements:

450D with kit lenses.

They key is not shooting in full auto. Shooting in AV is like auto, but at least you can keep you ISO at it's lowest, and you can shoot in raw which i always do - shooting in jpg is simply no good, you lose a heck of a lot of data, so you can't squeeze any more life out of the pics in post. With RAW, you have a huge ammount you can do in post, without compromising quality.

Level
    Achievements:

Cool! I do some photography on the side so I know what your talking about I need a DLSR, right now I have an old 35mm Canon AE-1 I shoot with.
    -Nick
    1999 Subaru Outback Limited -195K -Kiara. EJ22D. 5 speed swapped dual sunroof BG
    1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 Mark 1 -47K -First Love. Continuous Project. #BeingTopless 50whp of British fury!
    The EJ25D likes to blow its head gaskets in a spectacular manner, leaking combustion gasses into places it's not supposed to go; giving you the world's worst tasting milkshake.

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Haha i shoot with a nikon d60.. Anyways back onto the subject.. That is one sick Legacy! Also I have always wanted to.go.to New Zealand how is it? Thinking about lowering it a bit more?
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS- SOLD
    1996 Subaru Legacy L

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:

Love the car. There is nothing like that at all in the UK. The only JDM cars seem to be the turbos and maybe one or two of the higher spec cars like the 250T or GT30.

I don't read Japaneese, so what is the 'Type-S' all about? What does it have over the standard 1.8 Ti?

Also, while you're on the subject... I have a Cannon 500D and like you said, everything is shot in RAW in manual mode as it's so much better!
    1996 Subaru Legacy GT-B in Silver || 5-speed DCCD Gearbox (TY754VB1EA) || R160 Helical Limited-Slip Front Differential || DCCDPro Universal Controller || ARP Head Stud Set || BC Racing BR Series Fully Adjustable Coilovers || Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel || Exedy Organic Clutch || VF25/VF27 Turbos || D2 8-pot Brakes with 330mm Discs || Walbro 255 Fuel Pump || 12mm Modified Oil Pump || Cometic Multilayer Steel Head Gaskets || Whiteline Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, Front and Rear || Whiteline Droplinks, Front and Rear || Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit || STi Carbon Fibre Strut Brace || ESL Upgraded ECU || RFRB Front Grille || RFRB Rear Spoiler || Subaru 3-Port Boost Solenoid || Fully Refurbished Solenoid Box and 3.5mm Vacuum System || 18? OZ Ultraleggera Wheels || H&S Stainless Steel Up-pipes || H&S Stainless Steel De-cat Centre Section || H&S Stainless Steel Backbox

Level
    Achievements:

Basically means they chucked a whole bunch of little GT features into the poverty-spec Ti. So it's got things like the HVAC computer, central locking, power folding mirrors, spoiler, and they blacked out all the chrome from factory, was the only S1 (pre facelift) BC that came like that!

As for how is NZ? Well, look at the photo I love it here, never want to leave. As for lowering, what are you talking about! I only just jacked it up! This is the snow hack, so I don't have to take beast out onto the streets when the derpers are shitting themselves on the snow and sliding into everything. It was actually un-intentional, that's just the height it sits with beasts old bilsteins, but when I saw it, I loved it.

And Nikolaus, I always shoot with the lowest aperture so I can to get the most depth of field, then set the shutter speed to suit, it's served me well.

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:

Damn it is so beautiful there. Haha, makes sense..
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS- SOLD
    1996 Subaru Legacy L

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben
    And Nikolaus, I always shoot with the lowest aperture so I can to get the most depth of field, then set the shutter speed to suit, it's served me well.
    Spoken like a true photographer!
    -Nick

Level
    Achievements:

Righty... So, today, I did the waterpump. And everything went better than expected! I was hoping for the temps to climb into the positives for the job, but no, they remained firmly in the negatives all day (was -4ºc when I woke up)... At one point, round 1pm, I poured a bottle of water onto the drive, so I could use the bottle for pouring coolant back into the car, and within 2 mins, the puddle, and little line down the drive had frozen solid... Ouch! The frost on the car in the morning that got melted by the sun, immediatly re-froze when I parked him in the garage! Good times, good times... It literally would have been warmer if I had worked inside of a fridge! (Again, I'll remind you, this is highly unusual for NZ! I grew up in auckland, where the coldest it gets in the deepest coldest night of winter is +5ºc, today it was +15ºc up there!)

Bout 11am, when I started the job.

Anyway, I LOVE SOHC's, they are so damn easy to work on, I think I want all my N/A cars in future to be SOHCs Started by taking the radiator out, then, well, because I could, and because the intake manifold is so tiny in the SPFI's, all the bolts for the accessories are in plain sight and easy to reach, I took the accessories out too, to make things a bit easier, and to have a nice little squiz under them and the manifold to see that everything was indeed mint.

Taking the pump out was nice and easy, and the cause of the leak was fairly clear... New one went in with a bit of a fight, but nothing like bloody franky's fight when we did that one... And of course, I forgot to take pics of all the shiney new parts going in, like always

And I managed to do the whole job without jacking the car up at all, oh the joys of being at a practical height, rather than "Sacked out as, au"

Level
    Achievements:

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Nice! Not only the pics, but to see another Canon guy around that can shoot with some skill!

I have a T2i and shoot 90% of the time in full manual. Only problem is I dont use it too often these days.
    A friend and I are about to did a photo shoot with my BD and he's gonna let me use his gear, he got a lot of good stuff! I'm a broke ass fool! haha

Level
    Achievements:

Noice! Oh, and I left it on ISO400 by accident, 450D's don't like ISO400, but I don't acutally mind with that shot, the 'film grain' is of the era of the wee BC.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

I have lost a little of my skill by not using it, but also gained a little. It's kinda nice that my T2i can do 6400 ISO when needed.
    Most of my car shots were on low ISO, but my good tripod got stolen so I just havent done much. These days I'm lazy... haha

Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

I had a T2i for a while as a backup to my 5DmkII video rig. GREAT body, and it's even better with magic lantern firmware. 1/8 EV adjustments for ISO/aperture/shutter, focus peaking, manual audio control, bit rate control...tons of useful features for video and stills. The T2i's high ISO performance was impressive for a crop sensor body. Video at ISO 2500? No problem. Photos at 3200? Still fairly clean and very usable. It's pretty much a 7D without the weather sealing and AF.
    97 BD GT - Baller Husky Hauler II
    06 OBXT Limited - Baller Husky Hauler III
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolaus.conrad
    I have the strangest urge to lick your car, and rub my face on it...

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

I've said it before, but that engine is so wierd. Looks like it shares the case and heads with our 1.8's though. You like sohc's so much you'd love our ej22t's. I'll send you some heads if you pay shipping, lol. Actually other than cams, it is worse than the sohc 22 heads of that era. Smaller valves, etc.
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

Level
    Achievements:

I had a T2i for a while as a backup to my 5DmkII video rig. GREAT body, and it's even better with magic lantern firmware. 1/8 EV adjustments for ISO/aperture/shutter, focus peaking, manual audio control, bit rate control...tons of useful features for video and stills. The T2i's high ISO performance was impressive for a crop sensor body. Video at ISO 2500? No problem. Photos at 3200? Still fairly clean and very usable. It's pretty much a 7D without the weather sealing and AF.
    T2i = 550D? If so, yes, great camera's, I want to upgrade to one bad. If I did, watch out youtube, there's be mountains of HD vids of me doing runs through the alps down here And yeah, the 450D is from just before good ISO performance was a thing... It's basically only useful at 100 or 200 ISO, if you're like me and hate noise! But other than that, it's a fantastic wee body, and for what I paid for it, it owes me nothing, has earned it's keep!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike-tracy
    I've said it before, but that engine is so wierd. Looks like it shares the case and heads with our 1.8's though. You like sohc's so much you'd love our ej22t's. I'll send you some heads if you pay shipping, lol. Actually other than cams, it is worse than the sohc 22 heads of that era. Smaller valves, etc.
    That's because the USDM block and heads would be the same. It's SPFI though, that's why it has the weird intake manifold, they didtched it for the BG's, it was only on the BC/BF's. It's actually extremely similar to the carbies, again, only BC/BF's. Go find a cheap Gen1 and look in the engine bay, i'm sure it will look much the same!!

And no, I like SOHC's for the ease of working on em, you know when it comes to performance I have the beast sitting in the garage, decked out whith his STi DOHC Closed deck 2L.

I would be keen for some cams though... if this could be aranged? Do you have more specifics? No, I'm not saying why just yet :P

Level
    Achievements:

Blighter got some lurve this weekend. I went round with the paint brush dabbing little rusty stone chips, and stone chips off the rear spoiler. Also attacked the rust by the fuel flap.

And I received a certain momo wheel, which I polished up nicely with good ol kiwi shoe shine.

Level
    Achievements:

A little love goes a long way
    -Nick

Level
    Achievements:

Blighter received yet MORE love. This time, getting rid of the stupid aftermarket fuel cap, in favour of a real subie one. Subie wheel nuts, the new wheel went on with the CORRECT boss, now I have a horn again!

Now a friend is borrowing the wee blighter for a trip around the south of the south island, hopefully he'll send pics!

And because an update from me is never complete without a photo... The seasons first snow. May only be a wee one, but the wait has been long!

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:

Cool pics as always. Winter's my favorite season for sure.

q. for you, is that Momo the standard JDM RS wheel?
    NOOB
    Giggity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericem
    oh boy, thats bad for canada!
    -92 SS 5mt. Will be for sale once I rebuild the engine.
    -00 RSTI. Full Version 8 swap.
    -03 H6 5mt swapped baja. Front torsen, DCCD, rear Torq Locker, dual range.

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    O.G.5000 Experience Points

Awesome car, and great condition. I love these kinda rare special edition cars. You're taking real good care of this one.

Looks great, I might use this for my laptop's background.
    1991 Toyota MR2 │ Black │ 2.2l 5S-FE
    2006 Acura RSX Type-S | Blaze Orange Metallic | 2.0l K20Z1

Previous: 2007 Mazda 6, Bright Island Blue | 1998 Subaru Outback, Blue/Gold | 1991 Toyota MR2, Red | 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R, Zinc Yellow | 1996 Ford Escort LX, Cayman Green

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:

Aren't you worried about the boot polish making a mess on your hands? I use that stuff on my boots (what, boot polish on boots?) and it always leaves black on my hands and anything my boots touch.

SLi Resident
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:

Hey Rueben are you still near junkyards and selling parts? I'm looking for some 4th gen wagon tails.
    '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
    '04 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 30th Anniversary Edition
    '98 Subaru Legacy BrightonSE Wagon (R.I.P)

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by mike-tracy
    Cool pics as always. Winter's my favorite season for sure.

q. for you, is that Momo the standard JDM RS wheel?
    It was the standard GT wheel, RS's got an ugly 3 spoke momo. (FYI, GT was any wagon, and auto sedan. RS was manual sedan only - for gen 1. For gen 2 GT simply was wagon, and RS sedan.)

And only an issue if you don't polish it after the fact. I spent half an hour just buffing that thing. Sadly though, you are correct, it comes off with sweaty palms. It was an experiment, and it did fail.

And no, not near any junk yards.

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialO.G.Recommendation Second ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award

It was the standard GT wheel, RS's got an ugly 3 spoke momo. (FYI, GT was any wagon, and auto sedan. RS was manual sedan only - for gen 1. For gen 2 GT simply was wagon, and RS sedan.)
    Gen 2 had GT sedans too. And in case anybody has any more questions about the aesthetics of the 1st gen:

My favorite is the "Tasty Touring" concept...
    Current lineup(click on links):
    His: '05 Impreza STi / '91 Suzuki Cappuccino / '15 Honda NM4
    Hers: '04 Forester XT / '02 S401

Past lineup:
    His: '95 Legacy Brighton / '93 Suzuki Cappuccino / '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Hers: '97 Legacy GT-B Ltd / '05 Mercedes E500 4matic / '02 H6 VDC Sedan

Level
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by YamazakiSubaru
    Gen 2 had GT sedans too. And in case anybody has any more questions about the aesthetics of the 1st gen:

My favorite is the "Tasty Touring" concept...
    Yes, they did, i felt it beside the point to mention them, because they are an exceedingly rare special edition car for the BD5A only, fully kitted out with leather, and avail in auto only. When talking gen 2's, it's essentially safe to say sedan = RS, and GT = wagon.

Also, with the wheels, it's a generalisation again to say GT's had 4-spokes, and RS's 3-spokes, as with anything, the buyer could option the wheel they wanted on their car etc, just like beast getting optioned with the dual airbag style momo, when the LTD's normally came with single airbag woodgrain momo's.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast