Thread: Need some feedback...

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    O.G.Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Need some feedback...

Ok, so yours truly has a PS2 and we all know it's pretty dated...

So this is where I would like some feedback. If possible, try and not be bias to any one or the other.

I have had my PS2 because I love Gran Trismo, Tekken, Need for Speed, and Ace Combat... These are the games I have always liked...

I now that Xbox has some of the same titles as well...

What I would like to know is, what are the advantages of one over the other?

The games I DO want right off the bat would be Gran Trismo (or one like it), and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. AC is one that I know is on both. Would also like a GOOD WWII fighter plan game (must have an F6F Hellcat!). I know Xbox has one, but dont remember the name.

So... Give me a list of games I can have fun with, alone with what system they are available with... I like racing, air craft/dog fighting, and there was one I say thats a 40's detective game that was kinda cool (1st person, dont remember the name)... I'm not really into 1st person shooter games so thats not a big deal to me...

Also, I know different versions of systems are out there so also knowing what one woul be best would be nice. I dont know much about online gaming, but not turned off to it... might be intersting...

Thanks guys!

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.Overdrive

Re: Need some feedback...

What comparison? Xbox360 vs. PS3? I'm not 100% clear on that.

You can only get Gran Tourismo on Playstation platforms either way. Forza Motorsport is the Xbox equivalent. Both are good.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD
    2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited, 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Thats the type of feedback I'm looking for. I know GT is only PS... But I know some of the other games are also good.

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsO.G.

I have an XBox, but I don't really play flight games. As far as the detective game you are talking about, its L.A. Noir by Rockstar - the same guys who did Grand Theft Auto. I heard it was really awesome and comes on both systems, so I guess that doesn't really answer anything for you. The PS3 has better hardware and has a Blu Ray player built in, but I personally am bigger fan of the XBox only titles than the PS3 only titles. Anymore, most games are on both systems with the exception of a few. I love zombie games and there were more on the Xbox 360 when I bought it... 5 years ago but most of those games have been put on the PS3, too. I already have a Blu Ray player, so that doesn't weigh in on my choice of games. If you like 3rd person action (over the shoulder type stuff) PS3 has some really good games including the Uncharted series and new to come out The Rest of Us. I think you would prefer PS3 because you mentioned dog fight games. The PS3 controller has a SIXAXIS motion sensors - meaning you move the controller and your plane on the screen responds. Hopefully that helps. Also, try to get an older one that is PS2 backwards compatible, that way you can play your old games on the new system and you won't have to have them both laying around next to your TV.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

So the newer PS3 wont play PS2 games? That sucks... Thanks for letting me know what game that was also! I figured it was made by those guys... Kinda the same physics and graphics.

now here is the other question... of what version of what system is optimal for some one like me?

I know there are different versions like different sized hard-drives or something to that effect... I will say that I like the PS controllers better then Xbox, but then again, I only have a PS2 sand have never played on a PS3 so I'm not sure if that has changed.

Level
    Achievements:

I went from a PS2 to an Xbox 360. I liked the PS controllers much better than the original Xbox controllers but I got used to the 360 ones pretty fast. I like that the shoulder buttons feel more like a gun trigger than a button (I play a lot of shooters). As far as hard drives go, you can always upgrade if you find that the size you got isn't big enough. Older Xbox towers have a button on top and the hard drive pops off easily (don't worry, it doesn't fall off easily, it is a solid latch on there) and I don't know how the new ones are removed, but you can upgrade them as well. I have never swapped out the PS3 hard drives, but you can replace the hard drive without voiding the warranties. If you find one that is backwards compatible for PS2, you won't have to worry about a warranty anyways - they stopped making them a few years back.

The list of games you listed doesn't have a lot of online play, but is that something you are interested in? PS Network is free and Xbox Live is $50 a year. I have played both systems online and prefer Xbox Live. I had much less connection drop and the community was more vocal. Since the Xbox is sold with a headset, more people use headsets online for gaming. The PS3 uses Bluetooth, so if you have one for your phone you can use it on there. When I did play on PSN, barely anybody talked online and I think talking to others while playing online adds a little bit more fun. Whether it's talking smack or working together to accomplish a goal, I think it makes the games more fun. That being said, I haven't played on the PSN in about a year, maybe more. The other cool thing about the PSN is they now offer downloads of some of the PS PS2 games. If you are interested in the PS3, I would highly suggest trying to get a hold of one of the older backwards compatible ones.

Level
    Achievements:

Warning - it will be extremely hard to get ahold of a backwards compatible one. The only ones that were didn't sell in high numbers, because it was only the more expensive ($600 at the time) model that had the feature. Basically they had to build an entire PS2 inside of the PS3 case to make it work because of the completely different programming for PS3 games, so they phased it out after about a year. Not just any old PS3 will play PS2 games.

PS3:
    -pros-
    -Blu-Ray
    -Free Online gaming
    -Controllers come with rechargeable batteries
    -PS3 slim isn't a hug power hog/heater
    - Netflix doesn't require anything extra to work (see Xbox cons)
    -cons-
    - No PS2 compatibility
    - PS Move isn't as good as Kinect (both suck IMO, though)
    - Rechargeable battery in controllers is integrated (non-removable)

Xbox360
    -pros-
    -Controller rocks
    - Great DVD player (auto resume feature works on every dvd, even TV on DVDs better than anything I've ever used)
    - Excellent PC Media center via network
    - 4GB version is only $199
    - New Xbox HD has cooling fans & has WiFi, but it's still a huge power hog
    - Cons -
    -You pay extra for larger hard drive ($299)
    - No Blu-Ray support
    - Backwards compatibility is limited to certain titles
    - Netflix (and other Internet Apps) requires Xbox Live gold membership ($50 a year, which almost doubles the cost of netflix streaming if you only want it for that)
    - Controller uses AA batteries unless you buy the expensive (and crappy) rechargeable batteries

Both systems now have wireless integrated (older Xbox360 didn't), they both have a vast library of inexpensive, awesome titles, and they both access media from your PC like music & movies.

Xbox exclusive titles worth looking at:
    - Halo series
    - Gears of War series
    - Forza Motorsports

PS3 exclusive titles worth getting:
    - Metal Gear Solid
    - Uncharted series
    - Little Big Planet (looks kiddish, but think Mario Bros)

This is all just off the top of my head from working 5 years in the Electronics dept. at Target. I don't own either of these systems (but have used them) so some people may be able to give you better feedback.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsO.G.SocialOverdrive

I love the new Xbox 360 Slim. It's very quiet, and light. The addon support is great too. Forza 4 works with the Kinect (motion) sensor too.
    You can use the older hard drives from the previous Xbox 360 (white ones) in the new model, you just take them out of the shell and drop them into a new one. See youtube and ebay for that.
    I also networked my Xbox's with my media PC, so I can now stream movies from anywhere I have my Xbox in the house. Xbox has wi-fi N built in also, and native HDMI output.

PS3 doesn't have a true motion sensor, just the Move controller. They're good, but their free online network got severely hacked twice recently, and people had credit card info compromised.

The Microsoft/Xbox payment system means you can buy "points" cards from most retailers, and then the Xbox Live network never has your financial info. It's not as convenient, but I like the protection.

You really have to try them both out - I don't particularly like the PS controllers, but I did have an original PS, PSX and original Xbox. I went with the Xbox 360 because I liked the titles back when it was released.
    - Roger - Site Admin
    My signature is now a shout-out to the SLi veterans who keep this site flowing with good knowledge and informative opinion. You KNOW who you are, so keep it up!
    USDM 04 LL Bean H6 Wagon - TANK
    USDM 98 GT Wagon - Pandgrish - RIP; USDM 98 GT Sedan - 216k RIP; NZDM 99 GF8 - retired
    USDM 07 Honda Odyssey - Mrs Huffer;
    Live Like No One Else - Debt Free

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Ok, well I think I'm leaning to a PS3...

Now what one would be the best, if an early one is hard to find? Pretty much the only games I would be playing is Gran Trismo, Ace Combat, Tekken, and Need for Speed... Till I find others I like...

You guys should see the stack of games I have, I think my Inital D DVD sets are taller... haha

Level
    Achievements:

If you're not hell bent on getting a PS2 compatible PS3, get the newer PS3 slim version. Nicer looking, much easier to energy consumption, and the gen 2 Playstations are always more reliable.

If your PS2 is still working, just keep using it for PS2 games. Otherwise, you can find used PS2 slims for pretty cheap.
    ~Mark [SLi Admin]
    2015 Dodge Charger AWD

Former vehicles:
    03 Forester
    95 Legacy Outback

Level
    Achievements:

^^ I agree. Go for a newer slim PS3. Once you get one, you will find games that you like on it.